WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Character, Plots and dialogue

Old 10-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Condesa (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Character, Plots and dialogue

I'm find it difficult to keep my thoughts together. Thinking and putting it onto paper are two different things for me. I might think of a storyline which would be intersting, but when it comes down to writing it, I get lost in all the details.

Can anyone give me some input or advice?

Thanks,
Kelley

Old 10-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Cordatus (Offline)
Viscount of Vainglorious Deeds
Official Member

Thanks 14

It is only natural to face a hard time when trying to put thoughts into paper-- it's all about the way you do it.

You need to be organized, and to have a good view of where you want to go. Let's say you have this great idea about a certain story, and the plot is slightly formed in your head. You don't go immediatly and start writing, you need to organize your thoughts, and plan out [even if it's something small], it will help out. Dig up your main characters, protagonists and antagonists, the setting, conflicts and problems, and the solution.

Then know where to begin-- I believe that the beginning is always the key, it sets the track for you, and gives you plenty of space for the story to grow.

Keep in mind that mind mapping is very helpful if you don't know anything. You may want to try writing software such as Newnovelist, they can be quite helpful if you're just starting out.

May I suggest Nanowrimo as well? A extremely excellent exercise and a good excuse to write without paying attention to the details, I would sign up if I were you.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:48 PM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to kellykat60409 Send a message via MSN to kellykat60409 Send a message via Yahoo to kellykat60409

what i do is white a chapter outline for some of my stories. What i put in the include what is going to happen in the chapter, what characters are going to be in it this way if i get stuck i can just read it and know what is going to happen. hope this helps you in anyway. it also helps you notice any plot holes at least for me that is.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:11 AM
darthwader (Offline)
Unintentionally Awesome
Loyal Member

Location: You know that country, Australia? Well I'm from the south.
Thanks 0

I personally just think of a beginning and an end to the story, and then just write without any thought to how it's going to come together. So far it seems to have worked for me.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Mridula (Offline)
Following Time
Official Member

Thanks 16

My advice would be to just write whatever you want, don't bother about editing. Editing can come later.

When I write, I set a beginning, an end and a few milestones in between that I will touch, no matter what. After that, it's free writing all the way.

Another thing you can do is write a bare skeleton of the events you want to happen and then slowly flesh it out. The only bad part about this is that it will take a lot of time (and patience).

Hope I helped!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Condesa (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0

These are all good ideas. I have a difficult time with outlines. I suppose I don't get specific enough. I can see how they help, I just have problems doing them.

I have ideas that come to mind. I know what the story is, but have difficulty capturing the heart of the idea. Dialogue is also a problem. I tend to write much more poetry and inspirational things than short stories, but do want to open myself up for other types of writing.

Reading should give me some direction, I think. I spend much more time writing than reading. There should be a balance there.

When I can, I do want to buy the software that someone shared earlier. I take some medication which keeps my mind a little jumbled, so being more organized is a must for me!

Thanks all! I really appreciate your input!
Old 10-24-2006, 09:31 AM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to kellykat60409 Send a message via MSN to kellykat60409 Send a message via Yahoo to kellykat60409

outlines dont have to be specific. when you start writing that is when you put the specific details in. i use my outlines as a guide to the story so i dont get off track. its mainly a guide you use to keep keep you coloring inside the lines.

i also have problems with dialog but if you look at the dialog each, after each page re read the page to see if the dialog set the mood of the page without over talking or under talking.. if it sounds to wordy than it probably it, and then try cutting it down, same thing with the other if its not enough or you get lost because your dialog is veering out the lines than stop and think to yourself what you would do to fix.

last resort if it sounds like something is missing but you cant' find anything wrong with it, then have someone else read it and see if they can see what is wrong.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:51 AM
sketch_chic85 (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 0

Sometimes my brain acts too fast to get it down on paper. You may try splicing your thoughts. Look at one aspect at a time. For me the background of the setting and characters is needed before the story truely flows well. Do some exercises for your character profiles, some research...that way you're well armed to conquer the pen! Just keep all you notes...carry around a note pad or journal so you can jot down your thoughts right away. Then you can look back at it later. Remember...rough drafts are first and can always be fixed, adjusted, and edited till your heart's content.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:57 AM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0

my brain does think to fast at times, but it is writing it out that slows it down where i can think at the speed i want to. However, each person is different and the way that works for me might not work for someone else
Old 10-25-2006, 09:01 AM
poetnurse (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

I only thus far have written poetry, but I do find when I get sluggish I start to read really good literature...another thing I do because thoughts come at random times and not always conveinent times is to tape my thoughts. I have a micro recorder by my bedside so when I have these jewels deposited in the night, I just grab the recorder and it is there for retrieving later. We all have our own idiosyncrasies in writing, just find yours and go...I agree, nothing is worse than the blank sheet of paper. Have fun. poetnurse
Old 10-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Goddess.Eternal (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Send a message via MSN to Goddess.Eternal

I always had alot of trouble getting started and writing; until one of my school teachers helped me out. She suggested I just take a random sentence, from a book, tv or something that someone has said, and then I just write what happens afterwards. for example, If I were to pick something that someone has said and finish the conversation with them, it could be like this:

"Have you seen the TV guide?" Josh asked me. I shook my head. The damn thing was always disappearing, almost as though it had a mind and legs of its own. Maybe we were just too boring, maybe it wanted some sort of adventure. My mind started to wander, wondering what amazing adventures a TV guide could possibly get up to. I was slammed suddenly back into reality by Josh's exclamation. It had been on the table the whole time.

I know this sounds really stupid, but after a few attempts, I found that words and sentences, even characters and plots, would come to me a lot easier! It is also helpful for people still in school who do english exams in which you are given a piece of "stimulus material" and must write a story based around that. Using pictures is also helpful.

Just remember to start simple and go with watever comes to your mind, don't even think about it. Critiquing yourself afterwards might also help a bit too! I hope this has helped you at least a little!

Enjoy
Old 10-29-2006, 07:19 AM
OnceUponATime (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Location: State of Insanity - I must be in order to start my own paper...
Thanks 12

Originally Posted by Goddess.Eternal View Post
I know this sounds really stupid, but after a few attempts, I found that words and sentences, even characters and plots, would come to me a lot easier! It is also helpful for people still in school who do english exams in which you are given a piece of "stimulus material" and must write a story based around that. Using pictures is also helpful.
That's not stupid at all - it's a well-known trick a lot of writers use to break writer's block or just to get something started when they don't know where to begin. Good post!

Condesa - one thign that might help is to keep a notebook handy. Write in it whenever you feel like it. Start with an idea, then write a quick sketch of where this idea might go. Outlining a story helps keep me on-track when writing (one of my biggest problems is wandering off the subject when writing a story). An Outline is like a story's road-map - as long as you stick pretty close to it, you'll get to where you want to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jillian
Old 12-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Beowulf193 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I have a different way and you will try everyones way I did, but you have to find what works for you. For me I never outline I found that it inhibits what I am writing. I picture everything that happens in my writing as a movie or as a real life experience in my mind. For place holding I give it a sound track so when I hear a piece of music I can bring it back up and work on it. My key drive and my mp3 player are my two most valuable possesions.

For dialogue, characters, and backround I go and people watch or go to a place similar. The trilogy of novels I'm working on now I spent a lot of time taking my wife shopping at the mall and people watched. My novel is about a group of kids at a mall so I get to hear them talk in a simalar envioronment.

Writing should be the story first, once you have a story you can see everything should fall in place.

Beowulf193
Old 12-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Geoffrey Robson (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 0

When I feel like writing I start with what kind of story (war,love horror,happy sad,upper or downer) Then I pick a location and time. Then I pick the main characater. Then I pick and actor or actress or someone I have met (this gives my characaters life). Then the story just starts flooding out of my mind's eye, like tears of joy.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:54 PM
ShannonC (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by darthwader View Post
I personally just think of a beginning and an end to the story, and then just write without any thought to how it's going to come together. So far it seems to have worked for me.

That's the way I tend to do it as well.
When I try to go into too much detail at the start I get lost and overwhelmed. So I find tackling it with the idea of where to start and where to end it and just let it flow from there it comes a lot easier.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Morogo (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Send a message via MSN to Morogo Send a message via Yahoo to Morogo Send a message via Skype™ to Morogo

Try not to think about it so much, just let the pen do all the work, you can always come back to it later and go OMG this is like totally smerf crap.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues