WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction

Fiction Novel excerpts, short stories, etc.

REAL BASTARD 140 words

Old 11-07-2017, 02:39 PM
jimr (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 33
Default REAL BASTARD 140 words

REAL BASTARD

We never had any problems, Trinni and me, not even the usual ones, and I guess that’s because we saw things so much the same, but the day I left her with the baby and the beaten down Ford with a busted taillight and unopenable trunk in the middle of Kansas City, under an ugly hard rain that erased the chance of any meaningful goodbye, I saw for the first time that her eyes were really gray with blue possibilities; if I saw her in a crowd in a year——I probably wouldn’t recognize her. She said something, on that muted last kiss, with Annabelle squawking and the weather squalling, she said it imperfectly, emotionless, as if she were placing me in a category for the rest of my life, she called me a real bastard. And that’s why I never called.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:26 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

Yep, that’s how you do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2017, 11:35 PM
anna (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 30

Don’t knock the REAL. The kitchen with its ticking clock, it’s the heart of the home, it’s the place and time given where a daughter matures into a woman with confidence, esteem and a resolute sense of positive self determination. Home is the sanctuary then, the place of nurture where as a Mother, you teach by example through distant tales of those who have gone before, those who in their turn rejected the fabulous trajectories, those stunning opportunities offered and who defiantly relinquished that hard won career tossed mercilessly into the skilled hands of mega industry mogul.

Choices were made by some not as young naive victims but as purposeful rejectors of that menacing predatory culture. A walking away then, a form of conscientious objection - particularly relevant in the arts, because to be an artist is to live-out-loud. Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi liquid debuit ac potuit. Nothing, girls, is worth colluding with that BASTARD. Movements take decades, to garner that respect and recognition in your chosen field. Thoughtful men, sons, brothers take heed, bear daughters, granddaughters of their own, ripples are cast upon consciences over generations, over time.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:24 AM
jimr (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 33

So Anna, you liked it? I think your comment's much better than the piece. Thanx 4 the comments.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:28 PM
anna (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 30

Hiya jimr

Righty, yes indeed, anna found it a wonderful thing and she could only qualify her like of his 140 words as an amateur reader in this written-word-wonderland. See, jimr’s words made her feel it all, she was transported into the moment there in the middle of Kansas.

Now writing is open to interpretation and anna had taken Trinni’s ‘she said it imperfectly’ as belonging to her description of him as a ‘real’ bastard as opposed to simply being a ‘bastard’. Although in anna’s interpretation of the context of the unfolding event the concept of ‘bastard’ had indeed become ‘real’ to Trinni.

Then on further reflection anna thought jimr meant Trinni’s lack of emotional response to be the imperfectly said. But engulfed in the drama of the moment anna had imagined and interpreted Trinni’s lack of response to deep shock, or simple exhaustion. So perhaps on hindsight anna had misinterpreted the nuance of the piece. Ah well, none of this mattered to jimr she concluded and she regretted her re-post there - but it had got her thinking and surely that was a groovy thumbs up for him too.

Anna had thought how difficult it was to become a parent. As a women there are nine months preparation and all that physical change not to mention the birth process which is to enter a different part of being. A woman is changed. What struck her in the telling of ‘Real Bastard’ was the unspoken difficulties and trauma experienced by some men in the whole having a baby thing, a pretty harrowing event for many, those deep complex feelings are stirred and not universally acknowledged. What if the guy wasn’t a bastard after all. How different are the perspectives of man and woman.

Thanks there jimr x

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction