WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

How long do you usually write in one sitting?

Old 10-18-2017, 05:32 AM
Nicklegh (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default How long do you usually write in one sitting?

I tend to write in about one hour sessions on a school/work day, and 3-4 on the weekends. The law of diminishing returns applies when I write for an extended period of time though; I'm like George Lucas when it comes to editing.

How long do you write, and how do you try and stay productive the whole-- or most of the way-- through?

Old 10-18-2017, 04:39 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

I have a busy life outside of writing. I write everything on my iPhone, and itís always with me. Iím always thinking of writing and stories in progress. I write sometimes for ten of fifteen minutes in between work and life and then for an hour or two at night after everyone is in bed and itís quiet.

I wish I could write in the morning, but Iím not a morning person. Maybe when I retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Lockette (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 44

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I have a busy life outside of writing. I write everything on my iPhone, and itís always with me. Iím always thinking of writing and stories in progress. I write sometimes for ten of fifteen minutes in between work and life and then for an hour or two at night after everyone is in bed and itís quiet.

I wish I could write in the morning, but Iím not a morning person. Maybe when I retire.

Have you figured out how to turn off the obnoxious clicking noise? Most phones make that small click whenever you tap a letter.

But otherwise, that's pretty neat. I kinda wish I could do that, but I write faster on a keyboard.

Answering the question: If I decide to sit down and write, it's an all night affair. several hours. If I am suddenly struck with inspiration lounging in the local bathhouse, I can write an un-polished piece in 15 minutes.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:03 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

Wait... you gonna gloss over ďlocal bath houseĒ?

Who has a local bath house?😀

I like the clicking noise. And... I like writing slower.

My wife can type 89-90 words per minute, but I feel like writing with my thumbs gives me more time to process in between. I canít type for real anyway, so who knows.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,045

Originally Posted by Lockette View Post
Have you figured out how to turn off the obnoxious clicking noise? Most phones make that small click whenever you tap a letter.

But otherwise, that's pretty neat. I kinda wish I could do that, but I write faster on a keyboard.

Answering the question: If I decide to sit down and write, it's an all night affair. several hours. If I am suddenly struck with inspiration lounging in the local bathhouse, I can write an un-polished piece in 15 minutes.
Same for me Lockette (minus the bath house). Somewhere between a sensible bed time and the arrival of dawn, I slow dance with my muse.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Lockette (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 44

My wife can type 89-90 words per minute, but I feel like writing with my thumbs gives me more time to process in between. I canít type for real anyway, so who knows.

Oh, of course, Brian, we have a local bathhouse right beside the smithy. As a kid I'd take a dip in the bathhouse and run over to the furnace to see how quickly I could get the water to evaporate. Then try to dodge the hot horseshoes the blacksmith would throw at me. Good times.

The story goes that Archimedes discovered the solution to one of his mathematical theorems while in a bath house. He then ran from the bathhouse, nude, down the streets of his city, screaming "Eureka!" (I have it!) Apparently the suds helping Archimedes calculate formulas. It's quite similar to what I do whenever I get an idea, minus the nude part (most of the time, anyway)

I go a respectable 60 wpm, which is 10 above what you'd need for an office job, but it doesn't really matter. As long as you can churn out stories, you can do whatever you please.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Nicklegh (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

I have ADD, so I *have* to write quickly or else the ideas 'fall out of my head'. My mind often moves faster than I can type on a phone or write on a piece of paper so my ideas get 'clogged up', and are forgotten.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:54 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

Originally Posted by Nicklegh View Post
I have ADD, so I *have* to write quickly or else the ideas 'fall out of my head'. My mind often moves faster than I can type on a phone or write on a piece of paper so my ideas get 'clogged up', and are forgotten.

I have the same problem with ideas falling out of my head. But Iíve discovered over the years that there is an endless supply of them. Okay, maybe there wonít be later, dunno, but i no longer even think about it.

I lose a bajillion ideas all the time. If they donít come back around, they donít see the page. No worries, there are always more.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:52 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,782

("...depends of the coffee I suppose..." ventured the goblin who rarely wrote without one now, then adding "...I mean like most folks here I imagine I just go through my day doing the biddings of dailylife, then either the muse drags me into one of her plots again, or it's just another ghost who no doubt wants some score settled from way back now, where I oblige and anyway the barebones of the post itself doesn't take me that long to sketch out, yet to then hew that post into something more like "me to my pen" takes as many reposts as need be, where posting is akin to painting, up it goes and then I look at it thinking it's not quite right, and then one paints over what one has written...", in fact the underlying picture the goblin added only marked the fact to him that his post was near painted, smiling "...as some "painter of posts" perhaps, a livewriter then, this anonymity is just my selfish sincerity towards my craft if it can be called as such...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 10-26-2017 at 01:13 PM..
Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 PM
bluewpc (Online)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 34

For me its sporadic throughout the day and night. I write snippets when they come to me and at least once a day I sit down and puke some shit out. A lot of times its just me refining what Ive already written.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:45 AM
pralina (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

I write not nearly as often as I would like to. I get distracted easily. Every few months I get a rush of creative juices and I spend few weeks burried in my own worlds just writing like a crazy person. But there are also episodes of drought, times when I sit in front of a blank piece of paper and nothing comes out. But when I have a good day, I can probably spend 4-5 hours writing, re-writing, re-re-writing, polishing and then, more often than not, never finishing the piece. I know "done" i better than "perfect", but what can you do.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice