WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

To beer, or not to beer. THAT is the question

Old 07-29-2017, 06:43 AM
eripiomundus (Online)
The Next Bard

Thanks 111
Default To beer, or not to beer. THAT is the question

So, contrary to the title implying there's a decision afloat, I'm chemically redecorating my cranial innards with the cheapest box of beer I could find and, in the spirit of fully appreciating the bubbly hops-slosh, I started to think on the topic of alcohol.

Seems to me we drink so as to cull the extra-curricular activity of our brains. Alcohol de-oxygenizes the blood, which means some areas of cognition must be downgraded, and since inhibitory neuro-functionality is a recent upgrade, and is therefore a peripheral add-on, it becomes ballast before more primitive regions, leaving us in the blissful state of not giving a f#%k.

So yes it's a depressant, but at the same time the lack of inhibition leaves areas that, in their unrepressed state, feel positively invigorated... for a while. Then it's all depression - not in the woe-is-me-where's-a-noose kind of way, but... well, you know what I mean.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:55 AM
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 355

You're right -- it's a depressant, but the initial effect can be energizing. It doesn't last long though.

I quit drinking years ago. By the time I was 22, I was a full blown opioid addict. Finding myself literally out in the cold and unemployable, I got my shit together.

Against all advice, I thought I could drink, but with my inhibitions broken down, I'd go back to my drug of choice. Luckily, that series of little experiments didn't go on for very long.

But yeah, there's something that happens to my brain when any drug goes into it including alcohol -- and it brings out all my very worst instincts.

Once I was out of town, I figured what the heck -- who would know? I went into the hotel bar and ordered a nice tall frosty Bass Ale and then another.

I swear, it didn't take long and, I was thinking of drugs and if I could hit on the girl sitting next to me. I'm not sure what clicked in my head, but I didn't order that third beer. If I had, it probably would have been "off to the races" as they say.

I had to fess up and tell my wife I drank, or it would have eaten at me, and maybe led to more alcohol or drugs. She doesn't really get how strong the connection is with drugs. She was upset, but not totally freaked out.

I relapsed on pills a few years ago, and she changed the locks and made me sweat it out for several weeks. She's no enabler and definitely does not screw around. She's made it clear if it happens again, we're done.

So -- no drinking for me...
Old 07-29-2017, 08:07 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 355

Originally Posted by eripiomundus View Post
I'm chemically redecorating my cranial innards with the cheapest box of beer I could find
When I was first trying to get off drugs and trying to drink successfully, I was totally broke.

I used to get this malt liquor called "Steel Reserve." I think it's like 8.5% and it was about $1.19 for a 24 oz. can. It was absolutely awful, but a couple of those would really fuck you up. That's what I call value!

The other choice was Barton's Vodka in a plastic bottle. It was like paint thinner -- and it would get warm under the seat of your car and take on some of the plastic taste. I've heard people say Vodka doesn't smell on your breath, but that shit would make you reek to high heaven.

Aah, good times...
Old 07-29-2017, 08:08 AM
eripiomundus (Online)
The Next Bard

Thanks 111

That's fair man. I can partially appreciate addiction because I've been close. To me addiction seems paved by a series of excuses: got a lot on at work today, so I need a bit of a pick-me-up or I won't function; didn't sleep much last night, so I need a bit of a hit to see me through; I can't be bothered with this shit, but if I take some stimulants I'm sure I'll get it done...

At least that's the way it was for me when I started down the stimulants path. Probably different for opiods. Luckily I took a step back and recognised what was happening and stopped before it got difficult, but I can see how easy it would be to take one step too far. Can also see how alcohol would be hazardous to a recovered mind.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:16 AM
eripiomundus (Online)
The Next Bard

Thanks 111

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
When I was first trying to get off drugs and trying to drink successfully, I was totally broke.

I used to get this malt liquor called "Steel Reserve." I think it's like 8.5% and it was about $1.19 for a 24 oz. can. It was absolutely awful, but a couple of those would really fuck you up. That's what I call value!

The other choice was Barton's Vodka in a plastic bottle. It was like paint thinner -- and it would get warm under the seat of your car and take on some of the plastic taste. I've heard people say Vodka doesn't smell on your breath, but that shit would make you reek to high heaven.

Aah, good times...
Haha. I usually just drink cheap cask wine, but I splurged tonight. Back in the wayward days the youngsters in my town, myself included, used to drink alcoholic essences meant for cooking. Shit was harsh. Some of them were supposed to be 85% alcohol, but for some reason the label didn't say. I still remember trying to launch myself with the aid of a chest-high hand-rail into a dam thirty feet below and drunkenly hanging on too long/ I flipped over, crowned my head on the concrete, and fell in bleeding and not giving a shit.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:19 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 355

Hah. Like I said, good times.

I think there's possibly a genetic component to addiction, but I also think there's something deeply ingrained in childhood.

It's kind of like what you were talking about in regards to free will. You can get at it, but it takes some work.

Otherwise, it's like Jung said, "Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate."
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
eripiomundus (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 09:57 AM
eripiomundus (Online)
The Next Bard

Thanks 111

Great quote by Jung.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:41 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

I say: to beer!!

Yeah, I know, you already knew I would say that.

I've been addicted to things in my past. Weed being the most pervasive. I was a 'wake and bake' guy for maybe 10 years. I finally quit when my pregnant girlfriend (now my wife) threatened to leave me and take the baby if I didn't. It was a pretty simple decision.

I grew up with parents who were recovered alcoholics. Al-Anon, Al-Ateen meetings, the whole nine yards.

Like I said, I've been addicted to things, but it was always possible to quit.

I drink beer now, but nothing else. It does slow the constant flood of ideas and possibilities. Oh, and the anxiety that goes with being a perfectionist.

I do watch myself and stop drinking for a month or two to make sure I still can. It also helps my belly go down for a while.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:09 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 355

We're going to cocktail party tonight. Another evening standing around drinking club soda...

The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 04:22 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

We're going to cocktail party tonight. Another evening standing around drinking club soda...

And listening to drunk people say stupid shit.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 08:10 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 355

What's kind of interesting is seeing how people's behavior changes in pretty subtle ways that you probably wouldn't notice if were drinking.

And then there are the people who wouldn't normally give you the time of day, but after a few drinks, you're best buddies. This one lady tonight -- our kids used to play together -- she was all hugs and kisses and oh we should all get together! I don't think she even remembered my name.

But this was like a real cocktail party to celebrate an engagement -- there was a real bar and people were dressed up etc. Not really about getting hammered. We cut out early, but there were definitely a few people who were on their way to be over served.

This was a pretty well behaved crowd -- but we have a contingent of neighbors who set out to get fucked up. It's like a college mindset -- and these people are in their 30's and 40's. We always leave early because it just gets out of hand.

One Sunday morning after a party I got up early to putter around in the yard -- and here comes one of the neighbor ladies -- walking up the street looking disheveled and carrying her high heels. I did the merciful thing and pretended like I didn't see her.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:09 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

What's kind of interesting is seeing how people's behavior changes in pretty subtle ways that you probably wouldn't notice if were drinking.

And then there are the people who wouldn't normally give you the time of day, but after a few drinks, you're best buddies. This one lady tonight -- our kids used to play together -- she was all hugs and kisses and oh we should all get together! I don't think she even remembered my name.

But this was like a real cocktail party to celebrate an engagement -- there was a real bar and people were dressed up etc. Not really about getting hammered. We cut out early, but there were definitely a few people who were on their way to be over served.

This was a pretty well behaved crowd -- but we have a contingent of neighbors who set out to get fucked up. It's like a college mindset -- and these people are in their 30's and 40's. We always leave early because it just gets out of hand.

One Sunday morning after a party I got up early to putter around in the yard -- and here comes one of the neighbor ladies -- walking up the street looking disheveled and carrying her high heels. I did the merciful thing and pretended like I didn't see her.

Yeah, that doesn't sound interesting. It sounds like watching a bunch of guys have a jam session and not being able to play (especially when the bass player sucks and you know you could kill it)😎
Old 07-29-2017, 11:48 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,045

I'm not much of a drinker - if I have alcohol, it's only in appreciation of a particular taste or vintage - I don't like to drink to excess and find drunken company extremely tedious.

My lifelong battle has been conventional cigarettes. I will never be a non-smoker. Just a smoker on the wagon at best.

I hate cigarettes and have extensive knowledge of the damage they cause - which makes me hate myself even more when I lapse and put one in my mouth.

I've got a tin hidden in a woodpile outside with my secret stash for the occasional 'bad day' or the deliberate pre-meditated lapse. Truthfully, I sometimes slip out for a smoke because it's a form of company. Never smoke in public. Always when I'm on my own and feeling alone with a problem.

Sometimes, it's just decadent relaxation.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:52 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 355

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Yeah, that doesn't sound interesting. It sounds like watching a bunch of guys have a jam session and not being able to play (especially when the bass player sucks and you know you could kill it)😎
Heh. It would get old if that was ONLY thing I was doing, but I'm also socializing and generally enjoying myself.

I almost never feel like I'm missing anything -- and if I think about it at all I'm usually relieved that I'm not drinking.

I went to a brew pub to meet some friends and as they were tasting samples and discussing the merits of this or that beer, I thought, yeah, it would be nice to participate, but those thoughts are fleeting.

Now if I was at a party and they were passing out Vicodin, I might feel a little left out...
Old 07-30-2017, 06:36 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 355

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
I'm not much of a drinker - if I have alcohol, it's only in appreciation of a particular taste or vintage - I don't like to drink to excess and find drunken company extremely tedious.

My lifelong battle has been conventional cigarettes. I will never be a non-smoker. Just a smoker on the wagon at best.

I hate cigarettes and have extensive knowledge of the damage they cause - which makes me hate myself even more when I lapse and put one in my mouth.

I've got a tin hidden in a woodpile outside with my secret stash for the occasional 'bad day' or the deliberate pre-meditated lapse. Truthfully, I sometimes slip out for a smoke because it's a form of company. Never smoke in public. Always when I'm on my own and feeling alone with a problem.

Sometimes, it's just decadent relaxation.
I'm not saying this is the case with you -- but for me, part of my addictive personality is this need to feel like I'm getting away with something.

When I was little, my grandpa used to take me fishing or just out for a drive. The first think he did was stop at a store and buy cokes and Fritos or Cheetos and Slim Jims -- these spicy processed meat snacks. All the kinds of junk I definitely was not allowed to have.

My wife is kind of a healthy eating nut, so I used to buy all that stuff and hide it or eat in the car before I got home. That may sound like a relatively small transgression, but because of my track record of addiction, the behavior upset her -- it was essentially lying by omission.

She was like, you're a grown man, you can eat whatever you want. But once I was given permission, the allure was kind of gone...
Old 07-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,045

I'm not saying this is the case with you -- but for me, part of my addictive personality is this need to feel like I'm getting away with something.

When I was little, my grandpa used to take me fishing or just out for a drive. The first think he did was stop at a store and buy cokes and Fritos or Cheetos and Slim Jims -- these spicy processed meat snacks. All the kinds of junk I definitely was not allowed to have.

My wife is kind of a healthy eating nut, so I used to buy all that stuff and hide it or eat in the car before I got home. That may sound like a relatively small transgression, but because of my track record of addiction, the behavior upset her -- it was essentially lying by omission.

She was like, you're a grown man, you can eat whatever you want. But once I was given permission, the allure was kind of gone...

I think there are a few retarded brain cells in my head that still want to be 'the cool kid.' Maybe all the screen images took root years ago. James Dean.. ..Steve McQueen.

I hate restrictions - even if they're self-imposed. So yeah, some notion of breaking the rules is likely involved.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

From Shine to Coke, and a fall from grace http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrit...id=mailsignout

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:11 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,045

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
From Shine to Coke, and a fall from grace http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrit...id=mailsignout

Good grief!

He don't look too good...
Old 08-12-2017, 06:33 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 355

When Robert Downy Junior was wasted and he went into the wrong house and tried to crash in some kid's bedroom, I was thinking he was a lost cause.

So maybe he'll get it together. I've seen some pretty miraculous recoveries.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:38 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,045

When Robert Downy Junior was wasted and he went into the wrong house and tried to crash in some kid's bedroom, I was thinking he was a lost cause.

So maybe he'll get it together. I've seen some pretty miraculous recoveries.
I'm a good mother - I've sat through Iron Man many times.

This is not because I find RDJ extremely easy on the eye. It's just because I want to share in my son's interests.

Yes, he's looking mighty fine now.

Mighty fine indeed.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing