WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section

Research Section When Googling isn't enough... Everyone's an expert in something. Post your research questions here to take advantage of our expertise!

Being Stabbed

Old 05-26-2016, 08:15 PM
Jon Starr (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 14
Default Being Stabbed

So I've researched the mechanics of it, how it works, and how death from a stab wound is really about blood loss, etc...

However I can't seem to find anyone really describe what it 'feels' like. My character gets quite in trouble, and at one point gets stabbed, almost fatally. Does anyone know what it feels like? Or heard stories of what it feels like?

Is it painful right away? A sharp pain? A burning pain?

Does the pain come afterwards?

Does the pain dampen over time?

Does it hurt worse if the stabbing weapon stays in or is taken out?

Is the pain of a stab wound immobilizing?

The closest I've come to something like that is having my finger cut open, had to get a few stitches. It was a serrated blade and hurt right away, burning and sharp. The pain did go away after some time. Though it was still painful for a few days afterwards while it healed. But that's very different from a stab wound, I assume.

If you need info, my character get's stabbed in the lower left of his torso, near the kidney, with a medium sized knife, and it's taken out immediately.

He's also hit by two arrows, one in his shoulder and another in his thigh. The arrows go part way through, and they break and the pieces are left in him. At this point he needs to run away from people chasing him. Eventually these pieces are removed.

Hope someone can help!

Old 05-28-2016, 05:00 AM
jimmymc (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 170

I haven't been stabbed as you describe, but more of a slash running from mid-thigh over my knee cap to the top of my boot. The guy was on the ground and the S.O.B reached up with a pineapple knife. I saw it coming and jumped back or it would have been much worse.

I was able to stand on the injured leg and kick him in the head with my good leg.

I had burning pain within two-three seconds. I knew I had been cut, but it wasn't overly painful or debilitating. Blood came in about ten seconds and ran down my lower leg and over my boot. It bled a lot. I wrapped and tied my t-shirt around it.

Cops and ambulance came soon after. Burning pain increased until medication-took about forty stitches to close it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmymc For This Useful Post:
Jon Starr (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Jon Starr (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 14

Wow thanks! Sorry to hear that happened, must have been frightening.

Yeah I do remember a small momentary delay before feeling the burning after being cut, but it didn't take long.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:53 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 125

I don't know if it affects pain but the worst thing you can do if you're stabbed is take the knife out. The knife acts as a plug and reduces the amount of bleeding, especially from internal organs. Taking the knife out can kill.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Jon Starr (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 14

Originally Posted by wyf View Post
I don't know if it affects pain but the worst thing you can do if you're stabbed is take the knife out. The knife acts as a plug and reduces the amount of bleeding, especially from internal organs. Taking the knife out can kill.
It's not just that it's a plug (and not exactly a perfect plug, you will still bleed I've heard-maybe depending on the wound). It's also that you can do more damage by pulling it out, and that's what most first aid courses I've taken warn against. On the way out it might cut an artery that it was resting against, but wasn't cut on the way in. It's also important to not just leave it in, but put gauze around to help seal it more, and to stabilize it. Letting it move can also cause more damage.

Though my character has the knife pulled out by the person stabbing him, so no luck there.

I did a lot of research on this. For example, I know it's not like the movies, where you stab someone, and they just lurch over and die. It's all about blood loss. There have been account where people have been stabbed in the heart during a duel, and would continue to fight until they died of blood loss.

Just hoping to get an account for what it might feel like, what the pain is like, what they're thinking when they get stabbed or cut like that. Trying to bring something new to my book, a certain gritty realism.

Thanks to those who've repsonded.

Last edited by Jon Starr; 06-15-2016 at 01:38 PM..

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section