WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Does this count as a plot hole, or is it fixable?

Old 11-18-2015, 02:32 PM
ironpony (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Default Does this count as a plot hole, or is it fixable?

For my story, the villain goes on trial, but is able to get off with a plan he implemented. An alibi of sorts. But I was told by a few readers, that they did not understand why the villain waited all the way until trial to exonerate himself. Why not just do it at a deposition or even when first being interviewed by the police, they ask.

Well my reason was, is that if you wait all the way until trial, the prosecutor cannot have anytime to disprove the alibi. The defendant will get off, and the prosecutor will not be able to retry him because of double jeopardy. Where as if the defendant were to give away his alibi before trial, double jeopardy will not apply, and there is still a chance the prosecutor may figure out a way to try him still.

If this is a plot hole and he would exonerate himself right away, I could write it so that he exonerates himself at the deposition, instead of waiting till trial.

However, before this happens in the story, a witness who is testifying against him is in police protective custody at a safe house, prior to the villain exonerating himself. I need something to happen with this witness character, while in protective custody, before the villain exonerates himself at trial later.... And I was told that the police do not give out protective custody unless a trial is awaiting. So if that is true, then is this going to be a plot hole?

Last edited by ironpony; 11-18-2015 at 02:44 PM..

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues