WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Music and Writing

Old 11-18-2015, 01:15 PM
CDawson (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 17
Default Music and Writing

What are your thoughts regarding music and writing? Does music serve as a stimulus or a distraction when writing? In movies, some characters have theme music. The music foreshadows an event in a scene. Do you listen to certain music when writing a scene with a particular character?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:54 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

I have an extreme ability to stay focused with single-pointed attention for long periods of time, on things I am interested in. Music neither helps, nor hurts. In fact, I don't usually know it's on until I look up from the page.

So... neutral, I'd say.

My daughters are into role playing online, and often talk about theme songs for characters. Maybe it's a generational thing.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:05 AM
Binx B

When I write, I listen to a continuous loop of "Don't Stop Believing," as performed by the cast of Glee.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:06 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229
Default Music helps me write.

Originally Posted by CDawson View Post
What are your thoughts regarding music and writing? Does music serve as a stimulus or a distraction when writing? In movies, some characters have theme music. The music foreshadows an event in a scene. Do you listen to certain music when writing a scene with a particular character?
Hi CDawson.

Music plays a big role when I sit and write. It gives me a place for my mind to relax when I feel I'm losing control in the context of writing. I keep it playing and am not aware of it when I'm inside the story, but when I feel overwhelmed, I pause and listen... It always helps.

What I find interesting is that different music seems to have a relationship to the content of the project. I wrote a long play listening to the Chopin's Nocturnes. I wrote another listening to classic blues. I wrote another listening to simple quitar (sp?) picking. I'm working on one now were I listen to Rock from the 50's and switch off wiith Gospel and slow Rock. (All with heavy back beats.)

I consider music one of my primary tools to get the work done and suggest it to any writer working on a big project with many writing sessions. .

Have a nice writing day.

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrc For This Useful Post:
CDawson (11-19-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Djafkri (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 72

As for me, the right music can set the stage for a scene or a character. It's very inspirational and I use it a lot in my writing.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:31 AM
MaryPeterson (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default Re

I do not listen to music while writing. I need calm and quite place to write. But there are people who feels comfortable with musics while writing. I had a friend who needs music in all her works including writing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:57 AM
John Anthony (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

There is no connection between music and writing.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:36 PM
SardonicWriter (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

For a time, I would write with music in the background, playing through my earpods. The music I would listen to wouldn't be particularly emotional no inspiring, it was music that I found provocative enough to stir up thoughts within my head but not enough to make me listen intently. Now, I either listen to ambience, no lyrics, of rain falling and wind blowing or ocean waves lapping at a shore OR I don't listen to anything at all, except the clicking from my keyboard when I type.

Sometimes, an aspiring writer needs help in putting down words onto the screen or the page.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:39 AM
Brandon459 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Music totally helps me. I like classical and light jazz.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice