WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Is their anything I can do about this plot hole?

Old 08-25-2015, 07:48 PM
ironpony (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Default Is their anything I can do about this plot hole?

I had some people read over some script ideas and outlines for a story, and there was one plot turn that they said was a plot hole they thought.

Basically the main character is following the villain around trying to get proof of his crimes. He monitors him with a parabolic mic while following him and the villain opens a safe. His safe has a touch tone keypad built in because the combination is his cell phone number. He made it this way so if anyone opens the door with the code, the safe will call him, and let him know.

So the MC aiming the mic on him from a distance, records the sounds of the touch tone buttons being dialed into they keypad. He figures out the combination by matching up the tonal sounds, with that of his own phone. He then has it figures out and breaks into the safe, but calls the villain and alerts him without realizing it was built to do that.

However, in the feedback I got, no one was able to tell me why exactly it was a plot hole. They said they were not sure what the problem is, it just feels off and causes them to raise eyebrows.

Can anyone put their finger on what the problem may be? Does it need a total rewrite or what is the problem that I can avoid for rewriting?

Old 08-26-2015, 01:25 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

How far away is this main character from the villain, how powerful is this mic, and how quiet are these tones?

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:53 PM
ironpony (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Well the MC is several meters away from the villain. The mics in real life can pick up the sound of crickets, so if they can do that, then I think they could pick up the sound of the buttons I am guessing.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:44 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Depends, though. If the tones are soft, then probably not. Crickets are pretty loud, actually.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 08-26-2015, 05:18 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

I don't see the connection between using the cell number and calling the cell phone. It wouldn't work like that.

He could have the safe tied into an automated system that would call him when the safe is opened, but the combo would not have to be the cell number.

The system would work the same way a fire alarm system or burglar alarm system that automatically calls the appropriate personnel would work. It would probably be expensive.

Or maybe they don't think the main character would commit a crime like burglary.

Without reading it, this is all shots in the dark.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:57 PM
ironpony (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Okay thanks. I did research before and I could not find any safes that are made to call the owner. A lot of them are made to call the police but not the owner. So I thought he would have to modify his to call him, since they are not made like that.

If it's more logical for him to have a safe that calls him without the combination being his number, how can the main character figure out how to open the safe, if he does not record the sounds of the number being dialed? Also a parabolic mic can record a person's voice from several meters away, and a lot of times, a voice can be not too much louder than a touchtone system, so I am wondering if a touch tone system is actually that quiet.

But if he must figure out the combination, a different way, what could that be?
Old 08-26-2015, 06:35 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Alright, so he modifies it to call him instead of the police or a security company. I can believe that.

How can the combination be obtained? It depends on the safe. I kind of doubt the keypad would beep or make the tones when the numbers are entered. Even cell phones don't do that. So ... the big problem is how to get the combination.

Maybe a high powered zoom lens that let's him watch what is entered.

Again, why is he trying to break in? Is that the only way to handle the situation? Is he the good guy?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 PM
ironpony (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

The guy trying to break in is a criminal who use to work for the man. However, then man went too far in a crime and the wrong people got hurt, and now the crook is feeling guilty and wants to turn his boss in but needs proof, which is in the safe.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:11 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

That plot seems plausible to me, especially if one of those hurt was someone he cared about. Maybe his mother or wife.

What do you think about the zoom lens idea? It would be expensive and bulky.

Another possible idea is he installs a mini camera on the window up high then watches the footage to get the combo. Or maybe he knows the first guy well enough to guess the combo.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:19 AM
ironpony (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Okay thanks. As far putting a camera somewhere to see it, this means the villain would have to go his safe twice. Once for him to see where his safe is, and the second for him to put a camera there before he got there.

I do not have a reason for the villain to go there twice, so maybe it's best he finds out the combination on the first shot, the villain goes there. As for the zoom lens, maybe but he would have to have a reason to have it on him beforehand while following the villain.

Since he is following the villain around anyway, I guess his motivation could be having it prior to spy on him.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:10 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

I think it can be done in fewer visits, but the zoom lense is more straightforward. And he might follow with a camera to get evidence or stir up trouble with a rival. It's something to think about.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:55 PM
ironpony (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Okay thanks. I was thinking that the villain could keep his safe, in a storage unit, at a self storage facility. However, would the villain logically choose a facility that had cameras? He can always enter in disguise if that's the case, but would he choose one without?

I just thought if he chose one with, then the MC can get a hold of the camera footage and watch that to get the safe combo, if that works logically?
Old 08-28-2015, 03:08 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

I don't think it would work. The security cameras would be focused outside of the unit, so would not have the right angle to see the combo.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:14 AM
jimmymc (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 170

This piece is fiction... you can suspend the laws of creation.

Touch-tone keypads are still available.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:21 PM
ironpony (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

It's true that it's a piece of fiction, but I have been told by others that it's not believable so if it's not believable then it's a problem.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues