WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Books made into movies.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Thewritingkid (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 12
Default Books made into movies.

This past weekend, I went and saw The Giver, following the latest trend of books turned into movies, and it was an alright movie, all things considered. It did fall prey to Young-Adult-romance-subplot-itis, but the acting was decent, and the soundtrack and visuals I thought were excellent. I'd see it again in theaters, maybe rent it from Redbox once or twice.
So what are your opinions on it, guys? Have any favorites? Think they're all deplorable scum, and the shame of movies and books alike?

Old 08-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Michael D (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 103

No, but more often than not the film reduces the overall worth.

Examples of good outcomes-IMO:

* Lord Of The Rings was brought to life wonderfully. JRR would have been proud.

* Hunger Games was entertaining in both.

* The DaVinci Code

* Cloud Atlas (sorry- I love this flic)

* Harry Potter

* Shawshank Redemption
Just to name a few.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:16 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

It didn't fall prey to anything. The romantic subplot is pretty much what happened in the book, or as close as such an adaptation will allow. The change was based on the fact that they made the characters older. It was realistic, considering this was an 18-year-old boy discovering real emotions for the first time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:36 PM
Thewritingkid (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 12

Well, I guess. I take issue with the fact that they changed all the character's ages, as if they won't go near young characters who Oh my God they have a legitimate personality and character ahhh!" And, since it's surrounded by a sea of other YA movies-made-from-books, and there are always romantic subplots in those, it just seemed like they were applying their typical formula to such a great book.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

There is also the practicality of it. It is far simpler to hire a 19-year-old instead of a 12-year-old. And again, in all those movies you are thinking of, they are not inventing anything that the original author did not write. Besides, they are teenagers discovering their sexuality. What do you expect to happen?

Last edited by Rei; 08-26-2014 at 06:42 PM..
Old 08-27-2014, 07:11 AM
Seedy M. (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 74

I had a book that was going to be produced as a film. I kept all rights of refusal. (Thankfully.)
I read the way they scripted it, packed up my things and went back home.
They followed everything I had written! What was wrong?
They did that. All they did was insert a couple of piddling little steamy love scenes between a minor character and a soldier from the adjoining country (that didn't exist in the book) and a space war! (It was SciFi, about a plague that could decimate a world.)
In other words, make it fit their formula. Special effects, forbidden fruit and T&A.
With my name on it? No thanks! (I write light erotica, but that is not part of this kind of work in any way.)(If they wanted special effects, Machine Made is nothing else, though it, unlike most of those blow-em-up things, has a plot.)
But they had spent thousands having it scripted!
And?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

No question that it does happen. It's just not the case in adaptations like The Giver, Divergent etc.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:01 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 633

That's what bothers me about most film adaptations, including the Harry Potter movies starting at movie 4: things are being added that did not exist in the book. I understand the need to take things out, and the need to make things look pretty and spectacular, but instead of using money to create new scenes, why not take that money and use it to make the existing scenes spectacular?
Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 AM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

They sometimes have good reasons for tweaking the plot in that way. Sometimes it's a case of removing five scenes from the book and replacing them with one scene that does what all five did. Or there are things that can be conveyed in text that won't come across effectively in a visual medium. That is probably what would explain some of the plot changes and additions in The Giver. The scenes that were in the movie and not in the book were implied if not actually there. The differences in plot were to more effectively show in a visual way how what Jonas was discovering affected his friends. The switch from a pill to injections was also to make the manipulation of the citizens more visual.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

There are very few films that I liked the movie better. The mini series of Steven Kings The Stand was one of those.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 119
Default Books made into movies

Haven't seen that one yet. 'The Giver'. Guess I would need to know the author.

Any hoo, I really like 'The Hours' taken from Virginia Woolf's 'Mrs.Dalloway'.
It's so modern. I don't know about you, but I wasn't alive in 1918 and I do appreciate the historical descriptions of WWI.
No despair- it is the Decision.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Thewritingkid (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 12

Originally Posted by Ilseum View Post
That's what bothers me about most film adaptations, including the Harry Potter movies starting at movie 4: things are being added that did not exist in the book. I understand the need to take things out, and the need to make things look pretty and spectacular, but instead of using money to create new scenes, why not take that money and use it to make the existing scenes spectacular?
Exactly! I mean, Goblet of Fire? Remember the sphinx? I'd love to have seen that in the film.

Oh well, maybe since the movies are without a doubt going to be remade within our lifetimes, maybe they can do it then.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Polaris (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 70

I have a lot of strong opinions on this. I think whenever you love an art medium its easy for you to be biased against other mediums. That being said, in my opinion the phrase "the book was better then the movie" doesn't even make since. They aren't comparable. The fact is when making a film you CANT use the book as a script, because books aren't scripts. If I were a director I don't think I would enjoy trying to reformat a best seller into a workable script because of the biased. I think when going into a movie you need to view it and respect it as an individual unique piece of art, inspired by a pre existing story from a seperate medium. This way u can appreciate what people put effort into and not be dissapointed. If u truly like books better then go to the library, its cheaper. Don't spend 10 dollars on a movie then bitch about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Polaris For This Useful Post:
Rei (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 12:29 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 633

I think when going into a movie you need to view it and respect it as an individual unique piece of art, inspired by a pre existing story from a seperate medium.
While I agree with that, I think there's a difference between 'the book was better than the movie because it contained more details' and 'the book was better than the movie because completely different things happened in it.' I don't mind the fact that Peter Jackson made chronological changes in the Lord of the Rings or that he left out Tom Bombadil and the whole story about the Shire in the end. The fact that the Shire-end was left out meant that Saruman had to die another way. I get those choices. What I don't understand is why in some movies, and I think the Goblet of Fire is a good example, they extend some scenes to make them more epic, leaving out other scenes that could have been just as epic. The scene where Harry fights the dragon, I was really bothered by the fact they went out of the arena, wrecked part of Hogwarts castle in the process, and in the end the dragon dies. Why did it have to die? From a movie-maker point of view, I can only imagine it was because they wanted an epic scene. But there were tons of other scenes in the book that they did not use, that could have been just as epic.

Does that make sense?
Old 09-13-2014, 12:55 AM
Polaris (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 70

yea I totally get where your coming from with that whole Harry Potter deal and I defenitly see where that has happened in other films. I for instance was REALLY upset with all the Narnia films. What I hope, is that all these movies adopted from books, while flawed are leading more people to read.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Seedy M. (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 74

There are books meant to be easily scripted. I was approached by a person from the BBC about developing a detective series for Mystery!
I wrote the first of the Nick Storie books with that in mind. People, particularly those who read the first several books, commented frequently that "It was like I was watching a movie! It was so easy to picture what was happening!"
This is done by giving basic descriptions where necessary and concentrating on scenes that weren't complicated. Nick Storie is police procedural form, so the sets and scenes would be easy to provide. The stories (Stories' stories! Love it!) concentrated on personalities; therefore, the actors would make or break it. Any problems from the director's POV would be with temperaments and egos.
While the action was in Florida, it would be easy to transfer to anywhere.
There is a trick (or fifty) to making a book fit for transposition of medium. It is mostly a matter of reducing complication. It is to special effects to produce the fancy background images and such. If you describe a thing minutely, it becomes difficult to almost impossible to produce on the screen.
It's a pity the producer was offered a job in Hollywood and left the BBC before the idea was done. It was shelved "for the time being." which means only a rare accident will ever have it considered again.
C'est la vie.
(Incidentally, the producer failed in Hollywood and slunk back to London - where he was not welcomed very warmly.)

Last edited by Seedy M.; 09-13-2014 at 07:46 AM..
Old 09-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

With "Of Mice and Men" the book was essentially the script. They added nothing, trimmed nothing, and changed about ten words of dialogue.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Polaris (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 70

Originally Posted by Rei View Post
With "Of Mice and Men" the book was essentially the script. They added nothing, trimmed nothing, and changed about ten words of dialogue.
my point was not to say they can't be scripted, or that its impossible to stay true to the original, I just meant to address the fact that literature and film ARE in fact two distinctly different mediums and I think we as consumers are sometimes too picky. My original summation stands, if you truly are dissapointed with the film and truly like the book better then why be dissapointed? Why take time to complain? The book still exists. When games I love are turned into shitty movies, I just play the game and get over it. Not trying to sound or be aggressive towards anyone here on this forum, my annoyance on this topic comes from people I know in my personal life whom I find slightly unreasonable on this topic.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

I was only pointing out the one exception. Had I cared earlier today to give more detail I would have pointed out that the book is only a hundred pages long, and all takes place on and near one farm, with very few characters. It has a very straight-forward, linear plot, and all translates well onto the screen.

Polaris, if my opinion matters to you, read through what I wrote before. I actually am on your side. Think about how many books fit that description. They are exceedingly rare. The reasons for changes in Harry Potter, which is the one in this discussion that seems to bother people themost, might be because when trying to translate it into a strictly visual format, it did not work as well. I obviously can't say so for sure because it's been too long since I have read that book and watched that movie, and never bothered trying to adapt it, nor have I listened to interviews about the adaptation process. What I do know is that sometimes when you try to what is on the page, exactly as written, it doesn't work.

There are scenes in Memoirs of a Geisha that are in the movie but not the book and vice versa for time considerations and because, while you can show them in a sentence or two in the book, they need a whole scene to get across effectively on screen. Or the other reason would be because they took out a few scenes and replaced them with one different scene that did what the few scenes do.

Last edited by Rei; 09-13-2014 at 09:30 PM..
Old 09-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Polaris (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 70

I apologize for my rant Rei, I do see that your on my side. I just rant too much. I appreciate your perspective
Old 09-14-2014, 01:20 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
No, but more often than not the film reduces the overall worth.

Examples of good outcomes-IMO:

* Lord Of The Rings was brought to life wonderfully. JRR would have been proud.

* Hunger Games was entertaining in both.

* The DaVinci Code

* Cloud Atlas (sorry- I love this flic)

* Harry Potter

* Shawshank Redemption
Just to name a few.

You forgot Jaws... The only movie IMO that was better than the book. :-)
Old 09-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Originally Posted by Rei View Post
Steinbeck and Hemmingway had a bare bones stripped down prose that would make the transition from book to movie easier.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

Again, kinda the point. Most books are not like that.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Dosto7 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I enjoyed both the Da Vinci books and the films.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:51 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,777

("...well with me I just like whichever one I came across first..." confided the goblin in all truth, for example he had liked the "game of thrones" series more than he did the books, whereas the "american gods" book more than the series, adding "...yup, that's my problem, and since I've read the "the giver" book then no doubt I won't love the series half as much...", at which point the chorus in the back of the goblin's mind seemed to utter "...those who read this far goblin are in dire need of something to read...", where the goblin for his part shrugged hoping to be forgiven for his intrusion here)

Last edited by fleamailman; 08-11-2017 at 03:23 AM..
Old 08-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 352

Revolutionary Road.

Was skeptical about Dicaprio -- but he knocked it out the park.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:37 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 109

I thought Fight Club was better than the book, but I read the book after seeing the movie, so there might be a slight first-exposure-bias going on. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest did a good job in the movie also, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas caught the atmosphere well with great acting by Benicio Del Toro (was that his name?), but I can't actually say I liked the movies better for those. I think fight club is the only movie I ever liked more than the book.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:38 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 109

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Revolutionary Road.

Was skeptical about Dicaprio -- but he knocked it out the park.
His later work is pretty good.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:53 AM
JesseK1213 (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 6

Saw the Dark Tower recently - wish I hadn't. As a fan-boy of the series, I was prepared to be disappointed, but I had hoped for a little something, at least. Instead what I got was a mediocre YA-coming-of-age flick with zero character depth.

King's work has never translated well onto the big screen, though, with the (in my opinion) lone exception of Shawshank.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:25 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,044

The film 'Hannibal' is a favourite - the cinematography is incredible, capturing the beauty and mood of Florence.

The film score is beautiful (Hans Zimmer). Stunning performances from Hopkins and Giancarlo Giannini.

It is a necessarily abridged but altered version of Harris's novel, with characters taken out and the ending changed.

I like both but the film has the edge for me. In the novel, Clarice ends up Hannibal's partner and Hannibal believes that time will reverse and Mischa can take her place in the World. Too weird.

https://youtu.be/1llrZefm8AU

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe