WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Suggestions/Feedback/Questions

Suggestions/Feedback/Questions Something wrong, not here, or simply amazing? Let us know here.

question about writing sex scenes

Old 01-09-2006, 11:13 AM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to kellykat60409 Send a message via MSN to kellykat60409 Send a message via Yahoo to kellykat60409
question about writing sex scenes

I have a question about how to write a sex scene, but not be so graphic about it. A scene that i am working on would come out right. It is either to detailed or not detailed enough. any help would be great appreciated

Old 01-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Dalton (Offline)
Half Man, Half Amazing
Official Member

Thanks 14
Send a message via AIM to Dalton Send a message via Yahoo to Dalton

You mean you don't want it to be like raunchy and explicit, but you want people to know there was sex?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:35 PM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to kellykat60409 Send a message via MSN to kellykat60409 Send a message via Yahoo to kellykat60409

yes, I dont want it to sound like a Harlequin romance novel.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:56 PM
solecistic (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Fixed your title for you.

I would try writing a sex scene and posting it with your concerns about it. There is no better way to get help than to work with something you've done, I think.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:28 PM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0

I haven't wrote the scene yet still stuck in my mind.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:53 PM
HobGadling (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 0

My rule of thumb for making something steamy without being raunchy is this: Imply over describe.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Perfect_Paradox (Offline)
Better than Darth.
Loyal Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Perfect_Paradox

yeah I def. agree with Hobgadling. Implying works perfectly.. you're still in the scene, and it still feels like a love scene, but you dont feel like you're reading a trashy romance novel.
Go with that while writing it
Old 01-09-2006, 11:10 PM
HobGadling (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 0

Write about the emotions and passions of the peoples invovled rather than what they are doing.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:43 AM
Dalton (Offline)
Half Man, Half Amazing
Official Member

Thanks 14
Send a message via AIM to Dalton Send a message via Yahoo to Dalton

Originally Posted by HobGadling
Write about the emotions and passions of the peoples invovled rather than what they are doing.
Right, they are "trapped in the depths of passion", they are not sticking things places. You know?
Old 01-10-2006, 01:29 PM
DeathDragon (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Also, don't make it cheesy. To quote from a novel (something not to write): "His manhood entered her wetness." Try to refrain from phrases like that.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:42 PM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0

here is what i wrote.

He Kissed her again softly, caressing her bosom. Regina felt her body tingle with pleasure. Prince Nathaniel untied her night dress and kissed her again. He felt her quiver against him as he made love for the firsts time to his Princess.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:02 AM
dustman (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

"Regina's body melted into the caress as Prince Nathaniel untied her night dress and kissed her again."

???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:06 AM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by dustman
"Regina's body melted into the caress as Prince Nathaniel untied her night dress and kissed her again."

???
that is a very good one thank you.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:17 AM
dustman (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

it's very difficult to come up with scenes like this and not sound either crude or cliched

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:29 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by kellykat60409
I have a question about how to write a sex scene, but not be so graphic about it. A scene that i am working on would come out right. It is either to detailed or not detailed enough. any help would be great appreciated
I have always relied on my own personal experience to write sex scenes. Only I leave out the dirty disgusting parts.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:18 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by starrwriter
I have always relied on my own personal experience to write sex scenes. Only I leave out the dirty disgusting parts.
Judging from the lack of replies, I'm guessing readers of this post took me seriously. It was an attempt at humor (obviously failed.)

I have a twisted sense of humor that a lot of people don't get. It's a combination of Hunter Thompson, Oscar Wilde, Dorothy Parker and Mark Twain.

Here's how I handled a sex scene in a short story set in a fishing trip to Alaska. I tried to use a sort of desperate humor and some readers thought it was well done:

Sometime after dark I was awakened by a muffled noise. I rolled over in my bunk, thinking it was Stuart stoking the fire as he usually did in the middle of the night. The interior of the cabin seemed to glow in the pale moonlight pouring through the windows. And then I saw the luminous figure of Cassie gliding slowly toward me like an apparition. She was stark naked. Was she sleep walking or was I dreaming?

She kissed me and slid the blanket down, then climbed on top of me.

"What are you doing?" I whispered.

"Shhh," she hushed me.

With one hand she pulled down my shorts and stroked me. Jesus H. Christ, her husband was only ten feet away and Stuart on the bunk above. When I groaned, she put her hand over my mouth and mounted me. She moved her hips slowly at first, then fell into a quicker rhythm. Have mercy on us sinners and don't let Jack wake up. I clasped my hands around the small of her back and sucked greedily at her mouth as she moved up and down. Lost in the her throbbing motion, gone to hell, I don't think I can wait any longer. But then I do wait and suddenly her body quivers like a plucked bow string and I let go. She collapses in a heap on top of me, both of us panting as quietly as we can. Thank God for quickies, a longie would have doomed us. One last kiss and she tip-toed back to her bunk. I listened for sounds of awareness from Jack and Stuart, but heard none. God is good tonight and the sinners are saved. I drifted off to sleep like a lamb.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:42 PM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by starrwriter
Judging from the lack of replies, I'm guessing readers of this post took me seriously. It was an attempt at humor (obviously failed.)

I have a twisted sense of humor that a lot of people don't get. It's a combination of Hunter Thompson, Oscar Wilde, Dorothy Parker and Mark Twain.

Here's how I handled a sex scene in a short story set in a fishing trip to Alaska. I tried to use a sort of desperate humor and some readers thought it was well done:

Sometime after dark I was awakened by a muffled noise. I rolled over in my bunk, thinking it was Stuart stoking the fire as he usually did in the middle of the night. The interior of the cabin seemed to glow in the pale moonlight pouring through the windows. And then I saw the luminous figure of Cassie gliding slowly toward me like an apparition. She was stark naked. Was she sleep walking or was I dreaming?

She kissed me and slid the blanket down, then climbed on top of me.

"What are you doing?" I whispered.

"Shhh," she hushed me.

With one hand she pulled down my shorts and stroked me. Jesus H. Christ, her husband was only ten feet away and Stuart on the bunk above. When I groaned, she put her hand over my mouth and mounted me. She moved her hips slowly at first, then fell into a quicker rhythm. Have mercy on us sinners and don't let Jack wake up. I clasped my hands around the small of her back and sucked greedily at her mouth as she moved up and down. Lost in the her throbbing motion, gone to hell, I don't think I can wait any longer. But then I do wait and suddenly her body quivers like a plucked bow string and I let go. She collapses in a heap on top of me, both of us panting as quietly as we can. Thank God for quickies, a longie would have doomed us. One last kiss and she tip-toed back to her bunk. I listened for sounds of awareness from Jack and Stuart, but heard none. God is good tonight and the sinners are saved. I drifted off to sleep like a lamb.
All I can say is WOW
Old 01-13-2006, 12:32 AM
solecistic (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

I think the use of humour woven into a sex scene can be fantastic! Sex scenes are so difficult (I actively avoided the word "hard" there), primarily because it's such a potentially awkward subject. A human reaction to an awkward situation is to laugh or crack jokes - so humour in a sex scene can be absolutely human, which what I think all writers try to achieve. Steamy romance often comes off as cliche, because often it simply is cliche: it's written for housewives with a waning sex life, or overactive sexual imagination, or what have you.

I think you should have a go, Kelly. The worst you can do is write something you don't end up using!
Old 01-13-2006, 06:48 AM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by solecistic
I think the use of humour woven into a sex scene can be fantastic! Sex scenes are so difficult (I actively avoided the word "hard" there), primarily because it's such a potentially awkward subject. A human reaction to an awkward situation is to laugh or crack jokes - so humour in a sex scene can be absolutely human, which what I think all writers try to achieve. Steamy romance often comes off as cliche, because often it simply is cliche: it's written for housewives with a waning sex life, or overactive sexual imagination, or what have you.

I think you should have a go, Kelly. The worst you can do is write something you don't end up using!

thank you very much, I have learned so much since joining this group with all the great people thank you again for all your help.

there is a book how to write about sex that i am looking for going to amazon to search.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Ryan.t (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Send a message via MSN to Ryan.t

Well if its really bad/steamy just put

'And what do you call it?'
'The Aristocrats'

I once typed a whole long Aristocrats joke that I accidently deleted before it saved... it sucks... but I don't have the energy to type it again...
Old 03-10-2006, 12:40 AM
JadedAlex (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 0

I beleive that you should write your scenes as honestly as possible. If you don't use your own experiences, you can try useing your imagination. Nothing titillates more than the truth!!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Blackhawk_t (Offline)
Dangling Participles ROCK
Official Member

Thanks 0

How about you build up the scene to where it's all hot and steamy. You know, music, lights, and passionate kissing. Take a few pages to do that. Get the reader all excited and then have her say:

"Take me now" Her voice was a whispered moan of wanting desire. "Please."

So, he did.

That is a darn good love scene right there.

-

Originally Posted by DFischer
If you need anything don't hestitate to ask.

Unless it involves bending over
Old 04-23-2006, 09:25 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Blackhawk_t
How about you build up the scene to where it's all hot and steamy. You know, music, lights, and passionate kissing. Take a few pages to do that. Get the reader all excited and then have her say:
"Take me now" Her voice was a whispered moan of wanting desire. "Please."
So, he did.

That is a darn good love scene right there.
I like sarcasm in sex scenes. Example from "The Gilmore Girls" on TV --

LUKE: You look like hell.

LORELAI: Well, take me now, sailor.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:17 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

another good thing to do, for me at least.

Is to write the nastiest sluttiest piece of erotica you can, read it, probably blush and then write something you'd let your mother read.

It's often good to get the bad out before you can tap into the good.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:52 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by kalibantre
another good thing to do, for me at least. Is to write the nastiest sluttiest piece of erotica you can, read it, probably blush and then write something you'd let your mother read. It's often good to get the bad out before you can tap into the good.
What's so bad about slutty?

From the Male Dictionary of Sexual Terms --

Slut: a woman who will have sex with any man.

Bitch: a woman who will have sex with any man except me.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:26 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

there is nothing wrong with slutty, no sir-ey bob. ( I should bloody know)

but, if thats not what you're aming for in the piece then there is obviously. And i find it good to get out all the things I don;t want a piece to be, so i can write the parts that it should have.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:27 AM
Blackhawk_t (Offline)
Dangling Participles ROCK
Official Member

Thanks 0

So, what's the term for a woman who won't have sex with anyone? Wife?

-

Originally Posted by DFischer
If you need anything don't hestitate to ask.

Unless it involves bending over
Old 04-25-2006, 08:59 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Blackhawk_t
So, what's the term for a woman who won't have sex with anyone? Wife?
Another married man has learned the Bitter Truth.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:07 PM
TeenManiacForLife (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to TeenManiacForLife Send a message via Yahoo to TeenManiacForLife

"They went on to perform the wild monkey dance" most likely is not what you are looking for right? I was in one of my college law classes and we were practicing writing legal briefs when the Teacher asked a fellow student to read to the class what the student had written. The student was writing about a defendant who had come homw to find his neighbor sleeping with the defendant's wife. what the student wrote in the legal brief was " and the defendant saw the deceased banging his wife" needless to say the teacher was not impressed. I just thought I would post it here for the laughs.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:43 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by TeenManiacForLife
"They went on to perform the wild monkey dance" most likely is not what you are looking for right? I was in one of my college law classes and we were practicing writing legal briefs when the Teacher asked a fellow student to read to the class what the student had written. The student was writing about a defendant who had come homw to find his neighbor sleeping with the defendant's wife. what the student wrote in the legal brief was " and the defendant saw the deceased banging his wife" needless to say the teacher was not impressed. I just thought I would post it here for the laughs.
I think some of the euphemisms for intercourse are hilarious. My favorites are making the beast with two backs, visit the Netherlands, horizontal mambo and curing the Hawaiian disease lacka-nookie.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Suggestions/Feedback/Questions