WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Life can be like love.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:42 PM
James Deeds (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 3
Default Life can be like love.

Life prearranged with the power to win is with-in all of us. Some people take the long way around; some people go on the wrong roadway, and some people seem to run on a fast lane to the top. Some people “make it” young and some late in life. There is no secret way to make it to the top, however many people have a powerful desire and faith in themselves to become the best or the riches. It is no secret that our attitude towards life will always determine life's attitude to us. At times, we cannot succeed without others and it is this attitude to others, which determines their attitude towards us. Many times a new technique, invention, maybe just an idea drives one to the top.

A true story; in the fifty’s a small startup food company in California needed a faster way to make milk shakes. They ordered a mixer from a Chicago sales person. This sales person called them to confirm the shipment; he was told to send three mixers to their one location. The salesperson wanted to see the location that needed three shake mixers and was shocked on his arrival to the location; as people were lined up at the front of this small walkup store. There is a lot more to this story; however, the salesperson within two years started the nationwide food chain called “McDonalds”.

He understood the power of a new idea. He started with a Good Attitude and it had a Good Result. It starts with the attitude of everyday life. How do you start the day? As it is said, “That’s all Folks”.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James Deeds For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (11-18-2013), savir210 (03-14-2016)
Old 11-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Elisa/win (Offline)
Illusive Drifter
Senior Moderator

Thanks 455

James Deeds, welcome to the Beat! I'm sure you will have a great time with us while having some coffee, remember to take a look at the FAQ at the top of the page.

Just a friendly reminder that this forum is for you to introduce yourself, so that the staff and other members could better know you and or what you are looking for by joining WB.

What you posted here sounds like a good discussion topic, and may be better moved to the Writer's Cafe. Nonetheless, welcome, and if you don't mind, please introduce yourself to us. It doesn't have to be very personal, just perhaps your hobbies, what what you want to gain from joining WB or a bit more about yourself in general. I leave the floor open to you.

Last edited by Elisa/win; 11-18-2013 at 04:54 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Elisa/win For This Useful Post:
James Deeds (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

'm sure that when you get over pontificating (and work on your grammar) you'll have fun here.
James Deeds (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 12:58 PM
James Deeds (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 3

Mike

Thanks for the advise. I would agreed that some improved grammar would have helped this post. I do not believe that this was written in a pontificating matter. This post was written as my belief of advancements in life and the subject matter is what I am very well versed in as a life time of helping young people. The story about how a salesman won while short was true. Maybe I am missing something in the post or in the story line. I do not believe I was lecturing or preaching to anybody. Maybe you can allow me your thoughts in greater detail.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Tor

What do you want good grammar or good thoughts? if you can't have both, of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
James Deeds (11-18-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 02:19 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,774

("...ah now, won't those reader forgive most everything where the plot is pulling, and not anything where it isn't..." smiled the goblin seeing that James Deeds had rightly been moved to this part of the forum, and hoping to be forgiven for his evident inability to advise anyone on how to do better posts, and then laughing "...nah, I don't feel myself to be writing when I'm posting, more this medium strikes me as painting something instead, where each post is a stand alone too, and where it might be a good idea to not start a new thread to each new work then, but instead to create one thread where one then collects one's works up slowly upon it, why, because the readers might then subscribe to the thread in such a way that it then builds up its own momentum if merited by one's ability, where you have lots too...", "...goblin, you're not corrupting yet another one of them are you now, you are aren't you..." went the slot waiting for the goblin to finish the post so he could swallow it down with a contented gulp, continuing "...and besides goblin, if you go around correcting posters each time then they'll all turn into you by way of that correction till finally only writerclones remain, mere clones of some set perfection, and yes that's not what those readers want now is it, no they want a diversity of writing styles, dare I say that they even want those very mistakes that make us individual to them now...", luckily the slot had saved the goblin from commenting further, so the goblin for his part just looked out from the bistro at the dull damp winter morning's street aware that normally no one normal would ever read this far anyway, but then again, he knew too, that what was normal upon forumland had yet to be decided upon)

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-29-2013 at 01:02 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
James Deeds (11-28-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 02:36 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

grammar is silicone ideas however are brand. unique and exact stand.
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
The Following User Says Thank You to Nacia For This Useful Post:
James Deeds (11-28-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
grammar is silicone ideas however are brand. unique and exact stand.
Nacia will be tutoring you in grammar.
James Deeds (11-28-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Elisa/win (Offline)
Illusive Drifter
Senior Moderator

Thanks 455

Or you can join the SPAG workshop when it opens.

Me, I'd rather get the idea before the grammar. Expression creates change where as grammar is just how to fine tune it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elisa/win For This Useful Post:
James Deeds (11-28-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Penningway (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 21

Grammar, even if it is bad, may still be good writing in the making. I only contend that life should be love rather than be like love. This kind of thing...
The Following User Says Thank You to Penningway For This Useful Post:
James Deeds (11-28-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

And there are fairies at the bottom of the garden...
James Deeds (11-28-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Nacia will be tutoring you in grammar.
nope. even if it was perfect I would not i'd rather watch paint dry. I am sure you however would take the lead to come to the rescue. for who speaks better then you my lord? none.
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
The Following User Says Thank You to Nacia For This Useful Post:
James Deeds (11-28-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
for who speaks better then you my lord? none.
For who speaks better than you, my lord? None.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Front&Centre (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 199

Personally, my grasp of grammar (which is by no means perfect, but I think decent for the most part) came from developing ideas without considering grammar at all. It came on it's own.
James Deeds (11-28-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

I think if you read a lot from an early age, you tend to get grammar through osmosis.
Front&Centre (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Front&Centre (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 199

I mean, how else would you learn it?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Badly. Ask Nacia.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:25 AM
CumbrianLad (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 82

Like others who have replied, I am unsure of your motives.

So one American has become rich by selling food that is bad for everyone's health...so what? What are you trying to say? Millions more Americans and people throughout the world are dying in destitution. Are you saying that it's their own fault?

I dare say that you're not. Probably what you put just came across as being naive and misguided. I have a friend who is a brilliant engineer: he lost everything through no fault of his own and now lives in poverty. What would you say to him? I am in a similar situation.

As to the opening phrase: 'life can be like love', I would have to ask what you're talking about. Love bears no resemblance to fiscal gain, as you seem to suggest in the example. Love has never had anything to do with financial success. You are sorely misguided if you think that this is the case.

If I can roughly quote Buddha, (I'm not Buddhist but I think he'll forgive me for any inaccuracy):

"A candle can light a thousand others: likewise happiness is not diluted by being shared."

This is much more realistic in my opinion. If more people understood it and practiced it, you could re-write the intro as: 'Life is love...and love is life"

You could try posting this on the 'Intellectual table' if you're prepared for the responses.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Front&Centre (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 199

well, this is awkward because I recently made a thread about that saying specifically :S
Old 11-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Elisa/win (Offline)
Illusive Drifter
Senior Moderator

Thanks 455

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I think if you read a lot from an early age, you tend to get grammar through osmosis.
What Mike said, and in also consciously thinking about it once in a while when you speak. There are books out there with horrible grammar.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:10 AM
James Deeds (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 3

The term “Life is like love” has many meanings. Without love, there is no life, the love of life. Many more and the term is used in many ways to express a deeper understanding of ones actions. I do agree that the story can use an improved storyline. However, for this story of one person’s real life actions, the replies are welcome from this old man. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:42 AM
LanceRocks (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 357

James, welcome to the Board from a fellow senior citizen. Now for a dose of reality.

Right now I'm seeing you at about 92 years old because your writing is so poor. This is not an indictment of you as a person, just of your writing. (On a Group such as this it's important to separate the writing from the person, two different things.)

I've been hearing the story of Ray Kroc all my life: after hearing it yet again from you I've decided to vote the straight Communist ticket.

What you have written is either a practical joke or the product of someone with - how shall I phrase this - limited experience with literature.

If you're a joker that's fine because there's a lot of that on the Board right now. If you are sincere you need to change what you're doing completely.

Let me know which it is and I'll advise further.

Best,

Lance
Old 11-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by LanceRocks View Post
What you have written is either a practical joke or the product of someone with - how shall I phrase this - limited experience with literature.
Ouch!
LanceRocks (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 10:22 AM
efoshee1 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 7

Hmm, when someone says life is like love, I automatically associate love with pain and loss. Sure, love can be good and wonderful, but in opening myself up to love, I am also making myself vulnerable to pain and loss. I've had plenty of experience with both sides of love. So are you saying that life is only good? Or are you saying that life is only pain and suffering?

A note to the grammar people here, I suck at grammar lol. I have to agree with Front on his point that ideas should come first. Grammar can always be fixed later(hopefully anyway lol).
Old 11-30-2013, 02:02 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,774

("...ah yes, love is ever tragic isn't it..." agreed the goblin with efoshee1 thinking momentarily back at another carefree time before, just a carefree someone else that had been him once, before shacking his head while smiling at the absurdity of it all, confessing "...tragic, for either you are cut down in your prime or you slowly age away from that prime, so one kills one's past blinkering one thoughts to this present instead though I fear my spirit isn't really ready for what comes next neither, so I seek distraction in what I write but it only returns me to myself afterwards...")
Old 11-30-2013, 11:05 AM
efoshee1 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 7

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
("...ah yes, love is ever tragic isn't it..." agreed the goblin with efoshee1 thinking momentarily back at another carefree time before, just a carefree someone else that had been him once, before shacking his head while smiling at the absurdity of it all, confessing "...tragic, for either you are cut down in your prime or you slowly age away from that prime, so one kills one's past blinkering one thoughts to this present instead though I fear my spirit isn't really ready for what comes next neither, so I seek distraction in what I write but it only returns me to myself afterwards...")
*nods in agreement* Oh yes, I have days where I feel that I am waaaaaay past my prime lol! The idea of love being like life can be romantic or tragic. Maybe the best thing to do is to do what we love. For me, that's writing! While it is true that when I come away from the world that I am writing, my reality awaits, the upside is that there is always going to be a world in my head that I can visit any time I want!
Old 08-08-2017, 02:37 AM
marshajonnes (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

The term "Life can be like Love" credo of my life. I think it's very important understand this in your life. Because as it seems to me it's the basic postulate. I wrote about this topic look these up review. This is stated in many religions.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe