WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Favorite author?

Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 693

Orwell, Burroughs, Hunter S. Thompson, Hemmingway, Aldous Huxley, Kafka.

But then there's non-fiction like Hitchens and Chomsky

And philosophy like Nietzsche, Kant and Thomas Paine.

Watched this on Burroughs last night, fascinating: http://xtshare.com/toshare.php?Id=65085

I kind of hate how the punk movement latched on to him for some reason.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Myaora (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 9
Send a message via MSN to Myaora Send a message via Skype™ to Myaora

Tolkien, Orwell, R.R. Martin, are all great for obvious reasons.

A lesser known, though still fairly well known, fantasy author whose work I great enjoy is Joe Abercrombie, behind the First Law Trilogy. That man knows how to craft worlds and characters like no other.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:44 PM
minstrel (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Joseph Conrad, Rudyard Kipling, Hemingway, Steinbeck, Anthony Burgess, etc.

My favorite poet is Robinson Jeffers, followed closely by Walt Whitman. When it comes to poets, it seems I'm partial to deeply sane madmen.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Marshin (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 34

I've been reading epic fantasy for a number of years now, and I hardly ever go outside my genre, although I do on occasion. Because of that, all of my favorite authors write mainly epic fantasy.

Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, of course Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Robert Jordan. I'm looking forward to Rowling's new book, and Paolini's next novel. I've only read Dune out of all of Herberts, and Ender's Game of Card's. I really enjoyed Dune and I loved Ender's game.

Does anyone read Robin Hobb? I've been considering trying out her stuff, but I need to finish the Wheel of Time first, and a lot of AP English books, as well as a few others I have bought lately, like one of Stephen Kings and Beowulf. Anyways...yeah.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden

I want to add one to Paul Doherty. I absolutely adore Khaled Hosseini's novels. His way of introducing the Western world to the unfamiliar culture and history of a country that many associate only with war is second to none. I can't wait for his next novel.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off … but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written — George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:23 PM
NewbNovelist (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Fyodor Dostoyenvsky, a bit stereotypical maybe but I never turn down a psych novel. Crime and Punishment also inspired to me want to become a writer. God, I've read that book so many times I'm glad I didn't buy an expensive version of it because it would be in shambles.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:01 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Your name reminds me of my friend People call her Newb.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off … but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written — George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:58 AM
NewbNovelist (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by Dela Eden View Post
Your name reminds me of my friend People call her Newb.
Is she a new writer too or is the nickname based on something else?
One of my friends that has written for years calls me Writing Newb.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Her surname is Newbury. That's why she's called Newb.
You know you want to -
Old 08-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Myaora (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 9
Send a message via MSN to Myaora Send a message via Skype™ to Myaora

Originally Posted by Marshin View Post
I've been reading epic fantasy for a number of years now, and I hardly ever go outside my genre, although I do on occasion. Because of that, all of my favorite authors write mainly epic fantasy.

Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, of course Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Robert Jordan. I'm looking forward to Rowling's new book, and Paolini's next novel. I've only read Dune out of all of Herberts, and Ender's Game of Card's. I really enjoyed Dune and I loved Ender's game.

Does anyone read Robin Hobb? I've been considering trying out her stuff, but I need to finish the Wheel of Time first, and a lot of AP English books, as well as a few others I have bought lately, like one of Stephen Kings and Beowulf. Anyways...yeah.
I've read the first two novels of Hobb's "Farseer" trilogy, and am currently ploughing through the third. The plot's at times a little mudled and confusing, but overall: the characters are great, the world is always interesting and the magic is never clear and always mysterious. Her writing's great, and her books are definitely worth a look.

The Following User Says Thank You to Myaora For This Useful Post:
Marshin (08-11-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Marshin (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 34

Originally Posted by Myaora View Post
I've read the first two novels of Hobb's "Farseer" trilogy, and am currently ploughing through the third. The plot's at times a little mudled and confusing, but overall: the characters are great, the world is always interesting and the magic is never clear and always mysterious. Her writing's great, and her books are definitely worth a look.
Thanks for the word!

I'd like to add that I am a fan of Hemingway as well, or at least as far as the pieces we read in my American Lit. class go. We read, Hills Like White Elephants, A Clean, Well-Lighted Place, and Cat in the Rain. We may have read one more, but it's name escapes me. I'm considering purchasing a book with some of his collected works. I have lots of books on my list though.

Of all those listed, my favorite was Hills Like White Elephants, and then A Clean, Well-Lighted Place. Cat in the Rain was meh too me.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

Like others I have so many that I enjoy. With that said though I do have to admit that my favorite is probably Ursula K. Le Guin. 'Lathe of Heaven' is one of my all time favorite books. She just writes so well.

If anyone is interested there is an interesting dialogue between Le Guin and Margaret Atwood at the following link:

http://stream2.opb.org/media/litarts...ula_leguin.mp3
Old 08-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Nice&Blue (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 16

While is was Salinger and Steinbeck that turned me onto reading and writing, I'd have to say Chuck Palahnuik is my favourite.

He makes me laugh, he disgusts me and he is the only one who has scared me to the point of not wanting to close my eyes

New posts by me every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Guest slots open on Tuesday and Thursdays.
500 word limit email submissions to
Old 08-28-2012, 06:11 PM
NickTrano (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 16
Send a message via Skype™ to NickTrano

Robert Jordan. His ability to construct a massive detailed world with living, breathing cultures and a multitude of unique characters to explore it is breathtaking.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM
JustinHoskie (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I can't just pick one, so I split them up in categories.

My favorite fiction author is JK Rowling. (What can I say? the film version of "Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone" came out when I was about nine.) The HP series and cannon is just so massive, and her writing just touches such a chord with me.

My favorite children's writer is Daniel Handler as Lemony Snicket. I was given "The Grim Grotto" as a gift, and when I read it, I was hooked and immediately had to go out and get the rest. (The day "The End" came out, I got it at 5 PM, and finished it by 2 AM.) His books are just so wonderfully witty and meta. I still remember this exchange from "The Unauthorized Autobiography" from a VFD meeting transcript:
J: "D?"
D: "Yes."
M: "D, are you representing L, are are you acting as a free agent?"
L: "I am here, so there is no reason for D to represent me."
I had read the book about ten times before I realized "AHHHDISDANIELHANDLERANDLISLE- AHHHH!!!!!". And, because the series didn't get neatly tied up, it's still fun to go in, read, and come up with theories on what the sugar bowl is, what The Unknown is, is the taxi driver Snicket himself- The books are so quick to get through, but just so layered.

My favorite non-fiction writer is John Stark Bellamy II, who's written a series of books on the morbid history of Northeast Ohio. (I highly recommend "The Maniac in the Bushes and More Tales of Cleveland Woe", which has various sections on the Mad Butcher of Kingsbury Run.) I grew up on shows like "Forensic Files" and "Body of Evidence", and the way he writes reminds me a bit of shows like them: Sometimes a bit dry, highly informative, and it just grabs you and sucks you in.

Also, I have to mention Howard Ashman, my favorite screenwriter. I have a PDF of an early version of the "Little Shop" film script, and he was witty and funny in the action descriptions! For some reason, I can't imagine another screenwriter saying "No f**kn' around. This plant is serious!"
Old 09-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Darling (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 15

I really like Amélie Nothomb. Most of her books are only available in french though. She has a tendency to come up with twisted stories and characters.

I think that one of her that was translated to English is Sulfuric Acid. If you liked Brave New Word and/or 1984, you will like it. Follows the same dystopian/utopian concept.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Zuther (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 0

Rick Riordan.
I love his books. Because of him, I am now a mythology fanatic.

Suzanne Collins; Veronica Ross; Lauren Oliver
I also definitely love their books. Their amazing!
Collins' The Hunger Games trilogy hook me. And after reading that, I started browsing other Dystopian fiction and found Ross' Divergent trilogy and Oliver's Delirium trilogy. I love the way they create new worlds.

They inspired me to write books. Especially Collins.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Luciaphile (Online)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 10

Anybody get my name - Luciaphile? Better get reading the Lucia books by E.F. Benson! The whole six or so books are together in Make Way for Lucia.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Wildfire8470 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Wildfire8470
Default I have several...

Anaïs Nin because her study of women, human nature, her own journals and erotica were fearless.

Charlotte Perkins Gilman, because her book "The Yellow Wallpaper" was a descent into madness, by a woman who saw it clearly, in a time when the "help" for this was virtually nil. Women were incorrectly diagnosed as "Hysterical," (based primarily on Freud's work,) for which I would like to slap him SO hard! Those who thought that they knew what was best for her were madness personified.

Last edited by Wildfire8470; 04-10-2013 at 05:26 PM..
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 PM
WilliamS. (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 235

Yombie, Lin Robinson...
Old 12-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 179

I like authors who write about astronomy.

1 Bob Berman
2 Fred Schaaf
3 Timothy Ferris
4 Philip Harrington
5 Carl Sagan

Old 12-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Domenic (Offline)

Thanks 84

Franz Kafka
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Nadja

L.M Montgomery and Ivan Turgenev
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Webgoji (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 67

Ernest Hemingway

Why?
Hills Like White Elephants, that's why.

Check out my Blog at:

Old 12-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Rubbershark (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

My favourite has to be Robert Rankin, I love his humour and his ability to tell extremely tall stories.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:52 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864

Daniel Webster. What a command of the English language!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:56 PM
maidahl

I wish Ed Sheeran would write poems so I could call him an author. Lyrics are so personal and Sheeran performed a gig in Bristol, which raised £40,000 for a charity that reaches out to street sex workers.moved and inspired to have written The A Team." Willott added: "The Fleece is quite a small venue - it only holds about 400
Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Meghan (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by maidahl View Post
I wish Ed Sheeran would write poems so I could call him an author. Lyrics are so personal and Sheeran performed a gig in Bristol, which raised £40,000 for a charity that reaches out to street sex workers.moved and inspired to have written The A Team." Willott added: "The Fleece is quite a small venue - it only holds about 400
I think lyricists can also be considered writers. Lord knows I've sat down to write a story and wanted to write music instead (though that talent eludes me).

I have two favorite authors. Tolkien is my favorite for the sake of being a fantasy writer who formed the foundations of the modern genre. You'd be hard-pressed to find a contemporary high fantasy author who didn't admire and find some influence in the works of J.R.R. Tolkien.

However, when it comes down to writing style, I ADORE Ray Bradbury. His prose reads like poetry. It's stunning and lyrical and smooth and flowing and I could gush about him for hours. Bradbury's writing is so atmospheric and packed full of imagery. I just love him. Something Wicked This Way comes is probably one of my favorite books of all time and I read it every October.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:30 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I don't see why you can't use Ed Sheeran.

Dolly Parton is, in my view, the Queen of characterisation. Songs like "Me and Little Andy"; "Joshua"; "Jolene"; "To Daddy"; "Daddy Come and Get Me"; "Backwoods Barbie" etc are amazing little pieces of flash fiction and yes I take inspiration from her when building a character.

My favourite novelist is a man called Robert Neill he wrote historical stories of witchcraft full of colour and warmth. He taught me breaking the rules is fine - he starts with an infodump, has sort of 2D characters, lots of adverbs everywhere etc

Others are Enid Blyton and Agatha Christie and yes I see their influence in my work. Enid Blyton has definitely influenced my dialogue.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 AM
maidahl

A writer is not a songwriter!!!!!

That would be the difference between a songwriter, a singer-songwriter, a minstrel, a bard, and GOD

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library