It's Time to Put Pen to Paper!
Our motto is: If you write it, we'll read it! We've closed submissions for Issue One, but don't panic if you missed that deadline. We've chosen a theme for Issue Two, and we're taking submissions from April 15th to July 31st. We welcome submissions from all over the world.
Correspondence of any sort can be sent to:
Thereby Hangs a Tale
P.O. Box 42335
Portland, OR 97242
Or, send an e-mail by clicking here.
The theme for Issue Two is Birth. The interpretation is up to you!
The submission deadline for this issue is July 31st, 2006.
* We prefer hard copies over e-mail. Having said that, we realize that e-mail is plain easier for some (okay, most) folks so feel free to paste the story into the body of an e-mail and send it to submissions(at)therebyhangsatale.com. Either way, we'd love to hear from you!
* Please include the following information on the first page of your manuscript: your name and address (postal and cyber); word count; story title and submission category.
* We appreciate tales double-spaced, 12-point text size, and pages numbered. A self-addressed stamped envelope is always nice. Free drink coupons are never refused.
* We're flexible on word count, but prefer fewer than 2,000. What that means is this: You are free to send us something longer than 2,000 words, but if you'd like us to know how it ends, have it end by word 2,000. That's when we stop reading.
* Simultaneous submission? No problem. Just let us know if someone else says "yes" first.
We are accepting submissions for the following sections:
Personal Essay - Do you have a story that's compelling? That will make us laugh? Or cry? Send your tale to us!
Tall Tale - As above, but fiction.
How-To - What do you enjoy? What are you good at? Did you learn how to do something on the fly? Explain it to our readers! Alternatively, write about how to do something emotionally difficult. Example: How to tell your parents you're canceling the arranged marriage.
Top Five (or seven or ten!) - Review your personal top five books, write about the best beaches, bumper stickers or... Have fun with this, see where it leads you!
Do Tell - The topic changes with each issue. For this issue, send 250 words or less on "Epiphany".
Library - A bookmobile for Bedouins? An Athenaeum in the Arctic? Do you have a fantastic photo of a library? Send us a photo (5 x 7, 8 x 10 glossy or 300 dpi) and a short (250 words or less) description.
So get writing! We're looking forward to hearing from you!
Thereby Hangs a Tale plans to publish twice a year.
Do you have a tale
to tell? Read up more at Thereby Hangs a Tale.