WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Writing Markets

Writing Markets Calls for submissions, paying and non-paying markets.

Dred

Old 05-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23
Dred

Dred Submission Guidelines

Dred is a quarterly web magazine presenting quality dark fiction and features to the internet community. Dred is published in January, April, July, and October. We do not have specific reading periods. We are currently open to submissions.

If you have any questions regarding these guidelines, please ask before submitting.

Thanks for your interest.

--Bill Hughes, Editor.

Submission Procedures:

I accept electronic submissions only, via e-mail to dredsubmissions@hotmail.com.

Please use MS Word for Windows (.doc) or rich text format (.rtf) attachments. Do not embed your text in the body of your e-mail, as formatting sometimes becomes garbled when you do this.

Be sure to include your return e-mail address in the header of your text.

Use standard mss format.

I do not accept multiple or simultaneous submissions.

Allow up to 60 days for a response. I only comment on rejected mss as time allows. You may inquire at any time to verify that I have received a submission, but please do not resubmit unless I tell you that I haven't gotten it.

I pay $10 flat rate per story for First Electronic Rights. I prefer to pay via Paypal whenever possible. Payment is made on acceptance.

Work published previously in print will be considered, but work having already appeared on the web will not. Even appearence in a web workshop may count, depending on the circumstances, so if this is the case inquire first. Please include any previous publication information in your cover e-mail.

What I am Looking For:

I am looking for fiction up to 7,500 words. Although I am open to longer work than many markets, don't make the mistake of thinking I want to see sprawling plots. I find most of the stories I accept, regardless of length, unfold in one continuous scene, or a couple of scenes that occur right after one another. Perhaps this is because the tight time frame helps keep a writer focused . . . perhaps it's because I find it keeps the tension high for me as a reader. In any case, bearing this in mind will improve your chances of acceptance.

Character is, to me, the most important part of fiction. Even the oldest story can become new in the eyes of the right character. I am seeking quality, character-driven horror/weird fiction/dark fantasy that evokes a sense of dread: great uneasiness, reluctance, or fear in the face of impending evil. (Character-driven means that your characters should have to make choices, and those choices move the plot forward. If your character is just floating along on a tide of events, then your story is not for me.)

I am open to multiple genre/cross genre/ mainstream work. I don't care what you call it so long as it's dreadful. Although most of what I publish is "horror," I like a mix.

I prefer traditional plot structures. I'll consider experimental fiction forms, but you'll be swimming upstream.

I do not publish excerpts from longer works. A chapter and a short story are not the same thing.

Be original. Traditional monsters and psycho killers are difficult to breathe new life into.

Blood and guts are fine when they build to proper effect, but bear in mind that while explicit violence is generally horrific it often does not evoke dread. And in no way is it an substitute for good characters. If someone I care about gets chopped up, it disturbs me. Meat, however, is just meat.

Artwork/Photography/Non-Fiction

I am currently not accepting submissions for artwork or non-fiction.

http://www.dredtales.com/guidelines.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Writing Markets