WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section

Research Section When Googling isn't enough... Everyone's an expert in something. Post your research questions here to take advantage of our expertise!

What's it like getting high on marijuana?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 AM
mussokn (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9
Default What's it like getting high on marijuana?

Tell me about the very first time you got high.

How did you feel?

What kind of sensations did you experience?

Did you have any hallucinations?

How has the experience of getting high changed over time?

When you first started smoking were you easily manipulated into doing embarrassing things whilst high? If so, describe what happened.

Please be as detailed as possible.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
SPaG Ninja
SPaG Ninja

Thanks 689

Ever hear a tune by The Chambers Brothers titled Time?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
SPaG Ninja
SPaG Ninja

Thanks 689

Ooops. Update. The complete title is "Time Has Come Today" (short term memory loss with the flashback). See if you can find the original version on youtube. It's eleven minutes long.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:02 AM
MickTheebs (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 65

It's one of the best things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Hilee Coco (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 255

Please be as detailed as possible.
It's one of the best things.
This made me laugh.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Gearlock (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Ooh, this takes me back. It was ninth grade, and my friend and I had gotten a dub from one of the shiftier kids at school, so we took a can of diet pepsi and made a makeshift bong in this abandoned alley near my house. At first, I didn't think it was affecting me. I thought I was just overreacting, kind of like a placebo effect.

We decided to go to the deli to get some soda, and we started discussing what we would get. He wanted to get two cans of soda, and I wanted to get a bottle.

"Two cans is like a bottle, man," he said.

"No..." I replied. "Toucans is like... a bird."

And in the moment before we burst out giggling, I knew I was high.
"This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win--and it can--then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace."

-The Tart-Toter
The Following User Says Thank You to Gearlock For This Useful Post:
mussokn (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 12:31 PM
mussokn (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

Yeah, a lot of people have said they can't stop giggling over stupid stuff when they get high. Did you get any weird sensations or hallucinations?
Old 04-10-2011, 12:35 PM
SyntaxError (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 105

A bit of a long time ago, and funnily enough I have a terrible memory... But mostly what I remember was being utterly relaxed for the first time ever in my life, and feeling chilled and suddenly very happy with the people around me. I was also really giggly, confident and hungry.

The only time I ever experienced hallucinations of any kind with smoke was when my uncle from London gave me something called 'Temple Bull'. But it was just things like the curtains rippling and the pattern on the wallpaper shifting about.

But I haven't had a smoke for about eight years or so now, so my recollections of the experience are pretty vague. I used the stuff a lot anyway, so it became a fairly run-of-the-mill experience. I used it to help me sleep. My excuse and I'm sticking to it...
The Following User Says Thank You to SyntaxError For This Useful Post:
mussokn (04-11-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Gearlock (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by mussokn View Post
Yeah, a lot of people have said they can't stop giggling over stupid stuff when they get high. Did you get any weird sensations or hallucinations?
Yeah, sometimes you get this odd feeling of distance between your body and your mind. It's hard to describe, but akin to feeling as if you're floating and remote controlling yourself.
"This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win--and it can--then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace."

-The Tart-Toter
mussokn (04-11-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Myfriendscallme (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 30

If you are interested in a piece with a darker tone then certainly paranoia is a big issue if you smoke often.
In my smoking days I would have never smoked with people I wasnt 100% sure of. You let your guard down when stoned and you want to feel free to sing, dance and laugh!! lol

If you're going for the lighter take then you will have to mention the "munchies". Alot of people get really hungry and eat loads of sweets. For me I was crippled with dry mouth.. Strawberry milkshakes were a gift from above.

As far as outer body experiences, depending on what kind of weed you were smoking. Some weed is laced with acid etc in that case its the acid thats got you tripping.

--

I just remembered. If you're stoned you have to watch something like family guy. The random flashbacks will paralyze you with laughter. mohahahah!!
mussokn (05-09-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 PM
MickTheebs (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 65

Some weed is laced with acid etc in that case its the acid thats got you tripping.
See, this is actually a common misconception.

Why would a dealer waste good acid (a more expensive and much harder to acquire drug) on lacing weed and selling it for the same price as regular weed? It just doesn't make economic sense.

If any of your drugs are laced with other drugs (good stuff) your dealer will probably tell you and charge you more.

However: if your drugs are cut, that is, if your dealer put in other stuff (bad stuff) to make it seem like you're getting more drug (this is almost unheard of with weed), they're probably a scumbag and are not going to tell you and charge you the same amount of money.

Weed can cause mild hallucinations, especially when your eyes are closed. But don't make the mistake of thinking that a pink unicorn is coming to come crashing through the wall shooting rainbows from its eyes after a few tokes on a joint. You'll need to go somewhere else if you're looking for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to MickTheebs For This Useful Post:
mussokn (05-09-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 30

Common misconception?

Well I must have been doing something wrong all those years.

Alot of dealers sell different variants. You can buy many types of hash/green that will give you different highs (at of course different prices)

Weed dipped in acid isn't for the faint hearted or recreational user but certainly is widely available. Dealers live off repeat customers and it's fairly easy to ascertain the quality/legitmacy of the product. (ie if you're not a sweaty grovelling mess)

Any drug you buy is 'watered down' with all kinds of chemicals to turn 10kg to 12kg etc etc more of a problem with powder than smoke

As for hallucinations in general, you could hallucinate on cough medicine if your threshold was low enough. It's all relative.

--

ps I'm starting to sound like a crack head lol but I've grown up surrounded by drugs and drug dealers. My small town of 40k was accredited drug capital of europe 5 or so years ago. Check it out if you like. Ballymena, co Antrim. Northern Ireland

Last edited by Myfriendscallme; 05-06-2011 at 04:04 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Myfriendscallme For This Useful Post:
mussokn (05-09-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 04:16 PM
aoc924 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

I smoked for the first time last summer at the ripe age of twenty four and its probably the first and only time I'll ever do it. I much prefer the feeling after putting back a brew or two to the paranoid schizo feeling of smoking swamp rat hash. Hell, I'd even go for a late night ambien trip before I toked again.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:11 AM
MickTheebs (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 65

Weed dipped in acid isn't for the faint hearted or recreational user but certainly is widely available. Dealers live off repeat customers and it's fairly easy to ascertain the quality/legitmacy of the product.
If acid-dipped weed were widely available, I think it would have fallen into my grubby little hands by now. I would pay handsomely for such a luxury.

But we are limited by the laws of physics and chemistry. LSD can't be smoked. It's a very fragile molecule and the heat would destroy it.

I don't deny that somewhere, someplace, somebody decided to lace weed with acid. But all that probably came of it was a giant waste of acid.

It's a shame, really.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Gearlock (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

You don't need acid in the weed to trip out. As was said before, it's all relative. Some people simply happen to trip out on weed more easily due to variants in brain chemistry. I believe, though, that only 1% of the population actually 'hallucinates' proper while stoned (I forget where I got this statistic, honestly, but I do seem to recall regarding the source as valid at the time). What most people get is a rush of stored long-term memories, which appear in the mind's eye, rather than across the physical field of vision.

Now, cocaine you can smoke with marijuana, which is funny, because they seem like such opposites. Cocaine makes me think of powerful businessmen surrounded by hookers, and marijuana makes me think of poor teenagers lazing about... so I guess the combination for the two is meant for... yuppies...?

-The Tart-Toter
MickTheebs (05-07-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Kas81 (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 149

Different variants of weed, white willow is shit, purple haze is dogs bollocks. If you were to start on purple then the effects would be more poignant than if you had smoked white for a time before. I had been smoking white and other crap before purple, so my threshold was quite high. First time I did purple it relaxed me so much that I litrally couldn't move a single muscle for twenty minutes, which was a shame since there was a load of shit on tv but none of us had the strength to reach for remote.

Life is a journey, you hold the map

Hope for the best, expect the worst, accept whatever happens

A person's true strength is shown in how they handle failure, not success

Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 AM
A.r.p. (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 67

I was young my first time smoking pot, like most people seem to be. That age factor is huge. I wasn't all giggles, but there was a certain care-free quality to the experience.

I slipped into a dream. Everything stood out like it was in harsh contrast to the midnight backdrop of the universe. My friend and I were in a forest, and all the green mosses and shrubs became GREEN, like melting bulging sharp and magnified green. (It's impossible to describe these changes really.)

I "saw" myself from ten feet above, and from behind, and I saw myself seeing myself. My mind went ultra-analytical about the most obscure things. Proportions went all wonky. I remember stumbling across a small patch of young saplings, and reasoning that I had grown to an incredible height, so that trees were dwarfed in comparison to me.

Everyone I saw knew I was high. That I was sure of.

Music seemed tactile, like I could touch it, toss it from hand to hand. Listening to the radio was like a concert hall in my house. The band was in the room.

Little things that I'd always known seemed to shift around in my mental landscape. Before getting high, I knew that the Earth was in constant motion at incredible speeds, spinning on its axis and around the Sun and through space with the rest of the Solar System and the Galaxy. After getting high, I knew it. I thought I really felt it for the first time.

I could go on and on. But really they're all just empty feelings without experiencing it yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to A.r.p. For This Useful Post:
mussokn (05-09-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 806

...and there I was doing 35 in a 65 mph zone at night with sunglasses on and the State Trooper pulls alongside of me and we stare at each other. He motions me to speed up. I flash him the peace sign and he gives me the Eastwood Dirty Harry scowl. Now the gumball flashes on and I get pulled over.

Fuzz; Is there a reason you're driving so slow.?
Me; No, would you like a newton?
Fuzz; A what?
Me; A fig newton (I show him the bag)
Fuzz; Step out of the car.
Me; can I bring the newtons?
Fuzz; No. Now step out. Do you mind if I look in your car?
Me; That depends.
Fuzz; On what?
Me; On what you're looking for.
Fuzz; Have you been drinking?
Me; No, not yet.
Fuzz; Do you think this is funny?
Me; Very. But go ahead and seach the car. Any loose change you find you can keep.
Fuzz; Do you want to spend the night in jail?
Me; For what, being agreeable and offering you a Newton?
Fuzz; Have you ever had a sobriety test?
Me; About 4 or 5 a year. Why? I am one of those rare individuals that actually likes his drivers license picture. Can I see yours?
Fuzz; place your hands on the trunk and spread your feet apart.
Me; Okay but whatever you do don't open the trunk.
Fuzz; Want to tell me what's in the trunk?
Me; An alligator. Wanna see it?
Fuzz; Are you serious?
Me; Yup.
Fuzz; Have you been smoking?
Me; Nope. It's bad for your health.
Fuzz; Your pupils are dialted.
Me; I just had an eye exam.
Fuzz; At three in the morning?
Me; Self administered. I passed. Do you really like your hat?
Fuzz; Open the trunk.
Me; Okay but I warned you.
Fuzz; You think that's funny don't you? I am taking you in. Put your hands behind your back.
Me; Let me see if I have this straight. I am being arrested for driving below the speed limit, offering you a Newton and for having a stuffed three foot gator in the trunk of my car?
Fuzz; You're being arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence of an illegal substance.
Me; It's only illegal if you get caught. Can I bring the Newtons?
Fuzz; Watch your head.
You should try the stuff. It's fun.
mussokn (05-09-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 03:58 AM
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 30

Me; Okay but whatever you do don't open the trunk.
Fuzz; Want to tell me what's in the trunk?
Me; An alligator. Wanna see it?

hahaha!!!!!

Mussokn,

Pick up some of Hunter Thompson's books. "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" is my favourite.
mussokn (05-09-2011)

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section