WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

Why Do People Have Fear?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:11 AM
Bree Bree3195 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 2
Send a message via MSN to Bree Bree3195
Icon1 Why Do People Have Fear?

(( This is a paper I've written for my History CLass. We had to pick something to write one on from a list, and I chose Fear))

Why do people have fear? Well the reason we have fear if for self- preservation. If we didn’t have these

Fears we would be more reckless. Did you know when you were born you only had two natural inbuilt fears? A fear of falling, and loud noises. These fears were a few main ones to keep our ancestors alive.

Are there different types of fear Yes actually, there are. Internal, External, and Subconscious. Internal fear is basically having a low- self esteem. One of the main reasons for this is actually caused by parents. When parents discipline their young, it can cause an underlying fear. Sending them to the “naughty chair” is actually one of the worst ways to discipline a child.
External fear is something that you are strongly motivated to avoid. This could be anything from clowns, to spiders. These are also known as phobias.
Subconscious fear is when your subconscious mind believes that an action you’re doing is too good for you, and will sabotage yourself into making you fail.
“The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure.” – Sven Goran Eriksson

How does fear effect your actions? Fear can make you do things you never normally do, such as risk taking, and bad choices. It can also spike your adrenalin. If you’ve ever seen the news reports of people lifting a car off of a run over child, that’s what adrenalin causes, which is caused by fear. Another thing fear can do is fully stop you from carrying out an action. Ever heard the expression, “scared stiff”? Well that’s where it came from. Being too intimidated to do anything.

How does fear effect people’s thoughts? Fear changes your thought process due to your own mental status, while with actions; it can excite or halt them. Fear affects the human mind in the worst ways. It can sway your decisions, into possibly making a very dangerous choice. It also, depending on the level of fear, can make you hallucinate. In the worse case, say in a fear torture session, it could end up driving someone insane.

In conclusion, fear is a very serious emotion. It can be helpful, for assisting us in surviving, or be used to drive someone mad. Sure, it’s fun to get scared sometimes, say at a haunted house, but think about it. What if it was real and there was no safe way out? Then how would you feel. Probably not too good. Just remember, fear can be a good, or bad thing.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:02 PM
bjp092 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

i think your right
Old 03-26-2014, 01:41 AM
sdenyer (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 49

Fear is from lack of relationship with nature.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:25 AM
Shelly (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 437

One of the biggest fears is that of dying.

One way to not be afraid is to know that death does not exist, that everything in this life has a positive purpose. --Dr. Ross
Old 03-26-2014, 05:32 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 646

Originally Posted by sdenyer View Post
Fear is from lack of relationship with nature.
No, it's not.

Animals have a great 'relationship with nature', and are suitably fearful in times of danger.

Shelly, Dr Ross sounds pretty silly.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:13 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)
Still Clicking!

Thanks 1,216

Yeah -- that sounds like empty self-soothing to me.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 AM
Shelly (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 437

z

Last edited by Shelly; 04-02-2014 at 05:00 PM..
Old 03-26-2014, 04:06 PM
xXsubordinateXx (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Your right, however...

I think it is okay to have fear. Some people have different personalities. That's just how things are.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:09 PM
sdenyer (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 49

Mans fear is from lack of understanding of impermanence.

The unwillingness to resign to the concept that nature will rule in the long run, mans attempts to control futile. Man against nature, war against nature is good reason for fear it puts man in the loosing seat right off the bat. Can be classified as man against god, up to you.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:00 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 693

I'm afraid I don't get it.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:15 PM
sdenyer (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 49

Exactly, man does not get it.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:26 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 646

Mans fear is from lack of understanding of impermanence.

The unwillingness to resign to the concept that nature will rule in the long run, mans attempts to control futile. Man against nature, war against nature is good reason for fear it puts man in the loosing seat right off the bat. Can be classified as man against god, up to you.

Again, not really.

With regards to the OP -- I take it this is a school project, whilst perhaps some of the basic principles are touched on, I'd say the writing is a little flat and some of the definitions and descriptions are inadequate.

It's true fear is a perfectly natural and indispensable emotional reaction. Like all emotions it has a wide spectrum, and many gradations but the underpinning purpose is self-preservation. Fear of pain, fear of attack, even fear of failure can all be linked to that.

I'd try and give some insights. It's always good to cite theorists -- I'm sure Freud and Jung have a lot to say about it. There might also be some scope to talk about fear's role in evolution. Is there a link between fear, self preservation, and the development of animal defences? A skunk doesn't spray because it's angry, but because it feels threatened, it's purely a defence mechanism.

When people have been talking about 'man's fear' we're really thinking of a separate issue. We're talking about irrational fear rather than evolutionary fear which might be unique to us.

That being said, you could perhaps challenge that. I mean animals, you could argue, especially domesticated ones, display similar psychological problems. A dog who has been loved and is used to people not being a threat, will be comfortable amongst most people. Whereas a dog who has been mistreated, even in the presence of well-intentioned people, (again you might be inclined to argue) might be consumed with an irrational fear and act upon it.

That's where animals trusts will come in and attempt to rehabilitate the dog, and maybe there's not much difference between that and psychotherapy, though the latter will be dealing with more complex issues, often they're both attempting to put irrational fears, or 'hysteria' at rest.

Those are some of the things I'd think about anyway. I'd shy away from making grandiose declarations about fear just being about a disconnect from nature. It's complex and many-faceted -- like all emotions it can work for or against us.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:36 AM
sdenyer (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 49

OK have it your way.

Pssst....the mental state of fear would be greatly minimized if man was more in harmony with nature
The Following User Says Thank You to sdenyer For This Useful Post:
Pandora (03-30-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 04:29 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 646

OK have it your way.

Pssst....the mental state of fear would be greatly minimized if man was more in harmony with nature
I just don't like making such statements, they seem pretty meaningless.

Here's a question I like to ask folk who think that nature equals peace (which it doesn't).

Is war unnatural?

Is 'civilisation' unnatural?

If so, explain.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:53 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,373
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Fear is there to stop horror films looking like comedies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike C For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (03-27-2014), Mohican (03-31-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 06:11 AM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 693

Is that why deer in their natural state are so relaxed?

Is that why fish will swim right into a net?

Is that why you can walk right up to a quail and it will hop onto your finger?

Oh, that's right - they won't (or aren't). They live in constant fear, yet they are living perfectly harmoniously with nature.

Or am I missing something?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:18 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)
Still Clicking!

Thanks 1,216

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Fear is there to stop horror films looking like comedies.
Most horror movies seem like comedies to me regardless.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,373
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

No Fear!

But I have to agree. I was hoping nobody would see the obvious flaw in my suggestion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike C For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Nacia (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 721

fear is a state of mind and is the opposite of extreme joy.
fear can be irrational and can also be justified.
the irrational fear is the most worrying because whilst it looks and feels like the justified one it has no point of origin and therefore becomes the replacement for life. in order to make day to day one learns to fear something imagined not there.
the fear of the void.
in other words in order for a suffering patient to justify life, which has becomes meaningless to them, he or she allows for fear to take over in order for them to alleviate the fact that nothing makes sense anymore.
fear is this sense is extreme and can be defined, as the void, an empty feeling that is more intense then the normal fear itself.
escapism is another form of fear it is less chronic from the outside but very isolating from the inside.
ha!! that reminds me of monasteries and monks.
fast is pissed.

Last edited by Nacia; 03-27-2014 at 09:55 AM..
Old 03-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 225

All little brains have fear that's why we are here, to overcome them and move on to using more of our brains, more importantly more of our hearts. . . trusting.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 225

Great paper OP you covered the subject well. I wonder what grade you got on it 2 years ago.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 546

How does fear fit into a History session?
Seems more like psychology to me.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:52 PM
sdenyer (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 49

Ed, you be tripping, man oh man.

Nature puts man in his place, when man removes himself from nature he is lost and no longer understands how he fits or understands the cycle of life he must endure, hence he is a vessel of fear and loathing. If the natural rhythms of night after day, seasons after seasons still had an effect on man instead of this endless buzz from the techno world he might consider impermanence a relatively good outcome as it is the perpetual state of nature.

Last edited by sdenyer; 03-27-2014 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-2014, 09:37 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 693

Hmmm...
Old 03-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Nacia (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 721

Nature puts man in his place, when man removes himself from nature he is lost and no longer understands how he fits or understands the cycle of life he must endure, hence he is a vessel of fear and loathing. If the natural rhythms of night after day, seasons after seasons still had an effect on man instead of this endless buzz from the techno world he might consider impermanence a relatively good outcome as it is the perpetual state of nature.

interesting but I think man does not remove himself from nature he could not.
man takes himself to nature and tries to extract it or remove it by forcing himself onto it. an awkward state of affair.
for example extreme sports like mountain climbing.
man tries to conquer what is from the outset a dangerous climb. why? because he no longer understand the meaning of nature.
he does not see it. quite a doom prospect.
fast is pissed.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:11 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 646

More pissing in the wind.

When were we more in-tune with nature? When did man fall out of harmony with the seasons? Was it in Ancient times?

Living without fear has little to do with staying in harmony with the seasons, or whatever (what does that actually mean).

Fear is inextricably linked with evolution. All our emotions have evolved the way they are precisely through a natural process.

Again we're not talking about 'Fear' when we talk about man's fear as if it is separate from any other fear, we're talking about 'hysteria' or irrational fear. All of that stuff is experiential and I don't think needs to be linked to arbitrary theories about cycles.

Put simply, those who have grown up used to people being friendly, having lots of compliments, being educated, being allowed to be open and free, essentially having a happy and secure upbringing which then led to a happy and secure adulthood will most likely live a life fairly free from irrational fear. All of that stuff can be achieved in a modern 'civilised' state regardless of any hippy persuasion (for want of a better phrase) or lack thereof.

Think of every irrationally jealous person out there. Why are they jealous? Because they're scared. Scared of what? Being betrayed. Why? Because it happened to them in the past, it's their experience.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:41 AM
sdenyer (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 49

John
It is about impermanence , mans biggest fear on a variety of levels.
You are one pompous motherfucker

Last edited by sdenyer; 03-28-2014 at 03:45 AM..
Old 03-28-2014, 05:08 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 646

Attack the post, not the poster

When you say impermanence, do you mean fear of death, or what?

You'd probably do better to try and explain your position, in some kind of detail, rather than 'it's about impermanence and you're an idiot so there'.

Give me an example, like I asked, when did man fall out of harmony with nature? What constitutes an individual who is unnatural?

If I am materialistic, chauvinistic, successful, bolshie, y'know like a Wall Street broker or a banker, one who might not care so much about nature and would see it destroyed for my own monetary aggradisement... am I the most fearful by default?

The story doesn't seem to check out. If this is what we mean by the unnatural and therefore fearful people, ie: those who are disconnected from nature, why are they often the most confident and fearless people you're likely to meet?

Or is it possible to be in-tune with nature and its cycles without giving a fuck about it, as such?
Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 AM
Shelly (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 437

zz

Last edited by Shelly; 04-02-2014 at 05:01 PM..
Old 03-28-2014, 06:11 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 646

Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
He's not a MFer. Nobody is.

He just excels at pointing out the sins of the West (especially anything pertaining to the church). Yet, he refuses to look in the other direction Where women are suppressed, gays are beheaded, and babies are blown to pieces. He tends to stick his head up his butt concerning these issues or better yet blames the atrocities on the West.
This is all the product of your imagination Shelly.

You want me to talk about Islamic tyranny, no problem, start a discussion about it.

But if you act all confused about 'why they hate us' I might feel compelled to explain that the origins are in Western foreign policy.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing