WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

The Novel Exchange - Beta Readers connect here!

Old 12-12-2011, 12:12 AM
J. Newman (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 44

I have a mystery / thriller novel that is completed, undergoing final draft. 50k words. If anyone is interested in being a Beta please PM. In return I'll beta read any genre apart from fantasy or YA (I have no idea how to judge fantasy or children's fiction!) Under 75k words and completed final draft please. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:45 PM
pixiesvsnight (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

book title: Pixies vs The Night
length: Approx 33,000
genre: Young adult drama
Blurb:-Pixies vs The Night-

Wishing for change? What will you do when it finally comes?

It's summer time again and this time it's going to be big!
Corey, Justin, Alex, Brad and Lee are fed up with the day to day grind of normal life in the suburbs, so this summer they are going to kick it off in style. Plans of beach days and parties are sure to get stirred up when the gang encounter a cool and mysterious group of young women who call themselves "Pixies" and find themselves in the midst of a war fuelled by drugs, vengance and jealousy.

The gang straps in for a wild ride as they join with the Pixies and race around the city. While their fearless leader Holly tries to free them from the evil clutches of Dan and his drug fuelled friends, the gang sinks deeper into the dangerous world of the Pixies as they try to unravel their past.

With the police and Dan both hot on their tales and Corey falling in love with the gentle and heartbroken Gemma, the gang put their honesty and friendship to the test as they try to survive the craziest week of their lives.

what kind of feedback you'd like: Reasonable feedback, thoughts on the characters and behaviors, check for holes in the plot and stuff that doesn't make sense, silly
sentences, etc. I would like your opinion on where you think it is going and where you think it should go from here (it's the first in a 5 part series)

what you're willing to do/read: Something of similar subject matter, nothing too lovey and flowery though, I do like a love interest but not when it drives the whole thing! Action and a bit of sci-fi is good too! No vampires, just not cool.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Frances (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

Last edited by Frances; 03-29-2012 at 04:25 PM..
Old 02-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Lmc71775 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 122

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a beta for my ongoing YA novel which is at the half way point. Would really like motivation to keep going and would love to give it to someone willing to exchange with me.

Title: FIX ME
Length: currently 25,000+ and counting
Genre: YA suspense/thriller
Blurb: Seventeen-year-old Penelope "Pen" Wryter is hooked on a drug called Fix and wants to stop and clean up her life. Though the only way she can see her loving friend Zeek, is if she takes the drug. That's because he isn't real. But what is real is that Pen keeps making the wrong decisions-- hanging with the wrong crowd, being in the wrong places and doing all the wrong things.

Through her own struggling will power to keep going, Pen finds out much more to her friends and more importantly much more to Zeek. And during this whole process one girl at her school goes missing. It isn't until someone from her group disappears that she realizes how close the killer really is to her.

Feedback wanted: light critique

Feedback to give back: light critique

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Frances (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

Originally Posted by Lmc71775 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a beta for my ongoing YA novel which is at the half way point. Would really like motivation to keep going and would love to give it to someone willing to exchange with me.

Title: FIX ME
Length: currently 25,000+ and counting
Genre: YA suspense/thriller
Blurb: Seventeen-year-old Penelope "Pen" Wryter is hooked on a drug called Fix and wants to stop and clean up her life. Though the only way she can see her loving friend Zeek, is if she takes the drug. That's because he isn't real. But what is real is that Pen keeps making the wrong decisions-- hanging with the wrong crowd, being in the wrong places and doing all the wrong things.

Through her own struggling will power to keep going, Pen finds out much more to her friends and more importantly much more to Zeek. And during this whole process one girl at her school goes missing. It isn't until someone from her group disappears that she realizes how close the killer really is to her.

Feedback wanted: light critique

Feedback to give back: light critique
I'll read it, although I can't say I'll be great with grammar(obvious mistakes yes) etc but I'll read it to check the story is OK and stuff?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Zodea (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 33

I have three Chapters of my Novel "Guardian's Mage" ready for a beta reader. If anyone is interested let me know.

Soon to be author of The Guardian's Mage

Old 03-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,693

I have three Chapters of my Novel "Guardian's Mage" ready for a beta reader. If anyone is interested let me know.
I'll read them! I have a bit of time, now that I'm waiting for a new project to line edit. It's only three chapters, and I haven't done a crit here in a while; it's time.

Throw me a PM.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 703

I have enough finished for a beta reader too.

This is the hook so far. If your interested in reading the whole thing let me know.
DISCLAIMER - Adult content.

Sakima Nutus, Alpha werewolf and most successful vampire hunter ever to exist. Celeste Divinus, a female vampire, more powerful than any werewolf has ever encountered. They clash and she subjugates him. He reigns in his lust for violence and comes out top dog.

When an evil threatens to destroy all they’d sworn to protect, they’re forced to work together. Along the way, they must set aside their differences, only to discover their desires are more alike than either could have foreseen.

For them to have a future together both must change.

@Zodea
I'll read too. Seen enough of it to know it might be a very nice read.

Last edited by luckyme; 03-25-2012 at 12:13 AM..
Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 AM
jimmyranfaz (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Hello people,

I will throw in my dice. My novel is nearly complete (editing apart). I have also posted a query thread for someone to take turns shredding (http://www.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=34987) .
It is essentially a high fantasy YA story about a boy who is taken to an alien planet to save it (being heralded as a hero) from an old nemesis, discovers new powers and fights his way only to find .... (well you have to read to find that out ). PM me!!

I will be happy to beta read as well. Though I would technically prefer fantasy, I am happy giving my two cents worth opinion on any other kind of fiction as well.

Cheerio.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 AM
urntme (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 60

OK,

My latest novel Infinity Vest is ready for beta readers. It's a 53k word light sci-fi/action novel.

It's the year 2050 A.D. Gaia Corporation has created a suit known as the Infinity vest that can absorb energy and convert it into electricity; thus making the wearer invulnerable. Using this, they have made the world a much safer place by stopping wars in a peaceful manner. But one war is still being waged; the one against terrorist organizations who don't target the able officers from Gaia but rather the vulnerable citizens of countries, thus proving to be far too challenging a threat to control.

Francis Wong, the son of a chinese weapons manufacturer and Matt Morrisson, a newly recruited officer at Gaia Corporation face off against their destinies as they're thrust into this war and get caught up in a mad-dash in search of answers and their own sanity.

What I would like: Anything; Just some feedback so that I can work on the next draft of it.

What I would be willing to read: Anything that doesn't try to take itself too seriously. Till around 70-80k is OK. Anything more and I'll have to think about it.

Cheers.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Arin Lee (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 13

Beta Reader Wanted

THE DECADENT PRINCE is a YA fantasy complete at 70,000 words.

Synopsis
In the confusion of a failed assassination attempt, Chiara Alstern witnesses the corruption that runs through the city of Decadence the 9th. When she decides to protect the Prince’s life from his corrupt bodyguards, she risks her own.
She thought that becoming Outcaste was the worst thing that could happen that day. The shame of having to attend the Career Expo was bad enough, having a Prince attending was supposed to be a bonus.
She’d fantasized a great romance.
What she got was Malikael.
She finds herself in Decadence's underground searching for the path that will deliver Malikael to his only guaranteed safety; the arms of his mother. Doing so Chiara encounters her own fears, discovering who she is and how far she’ll go to save him.

Note: This is NOT a romance, the only kiss likely to happen is a fist to the face.

First chapter is posted here: http://www.writersbeat.com/showthrea...ecadent+prince though it has seen an edit or 2 or 3 since then.

Feedback Wanted: Serious, harsh, brutal critique (some nice words would be good too).

Looking to give: Equally devastating evaluation and motivation. Will read sci-fi and fantasy preferably for children but will read for adults if the story and writing is appealing to me. No paranormal romance - you can have it in the story where appropriate, just so long as it's not the be all and end all.

Last edited by Arin Lee; 04-16-2012 at 08:17 AM..
Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Minbard (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 44

I have 21k words of a epic fantasy novel. I need basic feedback.

Issues I have:

Does enough happen? I'm worried there's not enough action yet - I feel like I'm still just introducing characters.

Does it need to be more distinctive? I'm worried it's too generic - the points that make it original have yet to be revealed.

In return I would read pretty much anything offering honest, constructive critique and grammar correction etc (apart from anything romance heavy.) So hit me with whatever. You will also gain my everlasting gratitude.

Thanking you in advance...

Minbard.

PM me? Below is a taster:

http://www.writersbeat.com/showthrea...023#post492023

Last edited by Minbard; 04-24-2012 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Adding Link
Old 04-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,693

Ah! Minbard! I just directed you here . . . too late. Ignore my post, then, in your thread. Lol.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 AM
thisangel (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 149
Default Looking for Beta Reader (s)

Hiya -

Some of you might be familiar with my novel, which is so close to being done I can taste it! And, since the way I write is to go back and re-write as I go, the 2nd draft of what I have is done, and I'm the 3rd now. I have been posting it in the members section bit by bit, but I know some people don't want to read chapters of things in the middle, and it is a big ask, SO...it's time to join the ranks and ask for beta reader! Here goes:

TITLE: BLOOD BOURNE - BOOK ONE OF RUE (the first in a trilogy)

LENGTH: Currently at 115,000 words. Will likely be 150k when finished.

GENRE: Urban Fantasy.

FEEDBACK I'D LIKE: Any SPAG I haven't caught, although I will have an editor, and am now on draft 3 of most of it, so hopefully have caught it all. More important is consistency of voice and style throughout, plus anything that stands out and bugs you, plot holes, unnecessary repeats, annoying bits, etc. Along with what you like of course, so I don't get too depressed!

WHAT I'M WILLING TO READ: Pretty much anything, except out and out romance or blatant "adult". Other than that I'll give stuff a try. I'm pretty well read myself, and although I suppose my favorite genre is urban fantasy, its not the only genre I read by any means.

That's about it, do let me know if you're interested!

Last edited by thisangel; 05-07-2012 at 11:34 AM..
Old 06-01-2012, 04:55 AM
Andy Mitchell (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 119

I would like to be your beta reader.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,693

Dang, angel! If I had more time, I would so beta for you. Lol!

Twisty mind candy:

Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 AM
thisangel (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 149

Lol, Devon! Thanks for the offer anyway.

Andy - I'd like that. We can wait until your MS is finished if you want, or I can send you a chapter or two at a time, whatever you wish - let me know. Maybe PM me?

Cheers!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 PM
pixiesvsnight (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Would LOVE a Beta Reader

Hi all! I posted a request in this section a long time ago but there didnt seem to be a whole lot of activity in this area at the time so it may have been overlooked.

I'm finishing the second part of a four part series I call "The Pixies vs The Night".
Firstly don't be fooled it is not a fantasy novel!
It is a young adult drama/action with lots of characters and settings. Not to mention mean bad guys, fast cars, pretty girls and some mischief. A story of two separate groups of people that meet at one particular time and place and the effects that follow based on their history and back stories. Some boy meets girl plot lines but a whole lot of action and problem solving. (if you want the sexy blurb, read my earlier post here )

I'm looking for basic feedback on how I can better represent this story so it makes sense and flows well. Grammar occasionally lets down a bit but I don't expect the reader to go through and do an edit, just tell me what/who they like or dont like and what does/doesn't make sense.

I'm keen to read others and offer the same feedback as above, but I prefer realism to fantasy when I read.

So shoot me a PM or an email on black_shadow_1000@hotmail.com I would really appreciate it! Thank you!!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Marshin (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 34

I really want to try this out...

But I have no novel to present As soon as I have one done, and I think my critiquing skills are up to par in the character, plot, pacing etc. department, I will be posting here again.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:27 AM
NickTrano (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 16
Send a message via Skype™ to NickTrano

NAME:River War Chronicles
GENRE:Fantasy
LENGTH:Currently 11,000 words

I think I mainly need someone to point out lapses in logic or grammatical errors, but all types of criticism are welcome.

I'm willing to read somebody else's work in progress fantasy novel, or a completed one. I wouldn't mind a relationship wherein we send drafts back and forth between ourselves as we write more and add more to our respective stories.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Starchaser3000 (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 5

NAME: Fantastica VOLUME 2
GENRE: Satire of TV and movie fiction/fantasy
LENGTH: Approximately 110,000 words

I suggest a potential beta reader read the reviews and the synopsis descriptions in my sig links to give you an idea of what my first volume is about. If interested, PM me if you want to evaluate/critique my WIP second volume. Thank you.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 PM
J.McGraw (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 9

Title: Maslenitsa
Length:
Currently ~40,000 words
Genre: Fantasy.

Tanya, Lilidd, and Marcus are heading north, across the mountains, to trade at the Spring Market. It is an annual journey, and heavy rain seems the only thing that will threaten them this year. But a night spent on the edge of a deserted valley changes everything.

When Lilidd goes missing during the night, Tanya and Marcus set out to find her. Following a warning from a mysterious young boy, they find themselves outside a strange village, Maslenitsa, which lures people in for its own inexplicable purpose. Inside is Lilidd, but also a world of dangers they are not prepared for. And how can they hope to find their companion when the whole town seems to be working against them, and the very streets rearrange themselves behind their backs?

Feedback: Comments on clarity and continuity would be greatly appreciated, plus whatever you feel like adding. I'm also having trouble deciding what age-range this is aimed at, so any comments on that would be very helpful.

As for reading other people's work - NickTrano, I wouldn't mind giving yours a read. It'll be nice to have something to do to take my mind off having nothing to do I'm also willing to read other fantasy, sci-fi, YA, or mystery/thriller type stuff.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Lmc71775 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 122

My story is about a teen girl hooked on a fictional drug (an illegal anti-depressant.) She's yearning to quit, but is pitted with losing her close friend Nate-- the young man that only exists when she's on the drug.

The story is 55K words. I'd like to switch with someone that has that word count, or around that and is YA. I am willing to give light critique and my honest opinions, but I don't want to be drowning in having to revise someone else's ms. I'd rather a mentor, but would take a beta too.

If interested, you can email me here: Lmc71775@yahoo.com

Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Agatha Christie (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 64
Default Two novels: INNOCENT MURDER/DEATH OF MISS WETHERBY

I have completed two novels and am searching for other members to read through and let me have their reactions. Not looking for detailed info, eg. grammar,punctuation etc. (though these points are always gratefully received) but more: were you entertained or bored? Did the characters come alive for you (even if you hate them)? Is the writing style acceptable and easy to read?

NOVEL ONE

1) INNOCENT MURDER (after reading, is this the right title?)
genre: psychological thriller. Charts the moral and mental decline of a middle aged man who lives with his partner in London. Lots of twists and tension (I hope...you tell me!)?A modern slant on the story with initial internet chat.
2) 64,000 words

3) Want to know if it is entertaining. If not, why not? Did you feel there were twists and tension? Main drawbacks, as you see them.

4) Would prefer someone who has nothing to offer back as I never read fiction.

NOVEL 2

1. Death of Miss Wetherby (is this the right title, maybe THE ATTIC ROOM?)..you tell me

2. Murder mystery.
School teacher, Julia, from London stays in old Victorian house in Lake District to find out more about her pen friend, Caroline, who has died of a heart attack. She joins the local community and finds herself involved in strange events, including deaths; later discovering the truth about Caroline's death and the house.

3. 42,000 words

4. Want to know if it is entertaining. If not, why not? Did the characters come to life for you? No need to provide grammar, punctuation etc. changes, unless you want to. All comments gratefully received. Also, any suggestions on title.

5. Would prefer someone who has nothing to offer back as I never read fiction.

Thanks. Agatha Christe
Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 PM
gooddaysunshine (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Agatha Christie View Post
I have completed two novels and am searching for other members to read through and let me have their reactions. Not looking for detailed info, eg. grammar,punctuation etc. (though these points are always gratefully received) but more: were you entertained or bored? Did the characters come alive for you (even if you hate them)? Is the writing style acceptable and easy to read?

NOVEL ONE

1) INNOCENT MURDER (after reading, is this the right title?)
genre: psychological thriller. Charts the moral and mental decline of a middle aged man who lives with his partner in London. Lots of twists and tension (I hope...you tell me!)?A modern slant on the story with initial internet chat.
2) 64,000 words

3) Want to know if it is entertaining. If not, why not? Did you feel there were twists and tension? Main drawbacks, as you see them.

4) Would prefer someone who has nothing to offer back as I never read fiction.
I can beta read for you, if you want. I am good at grammar/punctuation and I can read quickly and can get feedback to you fast, if you don't already have someone. Email me at walkermeg (at) rocketmail (dot) com.

Last edited by gooddaysunshine; 09-15-2012 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 10-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Ember (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 47

Hello there! I am just wrapping up editing my novel and I would love to try out this beta reader thing! Here is a link to my first chapter if you want to check it out. http://www.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=39538

Title: A Tale Of A Stapler
Genre: YA fantasy/steam punk
Word count: Around 70,000

Synopsis: Penelope Gilbert is a not so average girl surrounded by an ordinary world.

All her life she has daydreamed of a different life. A life with out neglectful parents, nagging teachers and obnoxious bullies. Just when she thinks she can take it no more, the inexplicable happens. She transforms herself into a stapler!

Penny soon discovers that this unusual development is just the beginning of her troubles, when she finds that her school is swarming with strange men in dark suits. Why did they suddenly show up to "protect them" from something?' And more importantly, why are they taking kids captive?!

Her world is turned upside down as she and her best friend Crane race to find answers and to rescue the kidnapped children before it's too late.

What I am looking for: I would like a general critique. Grammar correction while appreciated, is not necessary. I want to know if the story makes sense, if the pacing seems about right, if the characters are believable, etc. I am willing to read something around the same length. It could be pretty much any genre, preferably without bad language and adult content. Let me know if you're interested!

Thanks -Emily

Last edited by Ember; 10-23-2012 at 10:13 PM..
Old 10-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,693

Oh my God, that sounds interesting. I wish I had more time! Meh.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 10-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Ember (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 47

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Oh my God, that sounds interesting. I wish I had more time! Meh.
I wish you did too!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:16 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 633

Ember, that sounds interesting indeed! I'd love to take a look at it I'm very unpredictable when it comes to having time on my hands or not however, so sometimes I'll be quick as lightning while other times you may have to be a little patient.

I don't have a full-length novel to present yet, only a couple of chapters here and there. Am going to attempt a fantasy novel during nanowrimo, though, and will continue my current wip as well in the future.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Ember (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 47

Awesome! I would love that, Ilseum! I'll just finish ironing out some of the kinks and send it your way. Feel free to send me the chapters you do have, or you can wait and send me your Nanowrimo book if you want.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues