WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

What's the saddest book you've read?

Old 11-27-2013, 03:37 AM
James1990 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Error69 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 215

Possibly Maus by Art Spiegelman, although that was technically a graphic novel rather than a regular "only word" novel.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:57 AM
noodle24 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

One of the final scenes in the Harry Potter series really got to me. I won't spoil it for anyone that's been living under a cave for the last five years. All the build up though and what you thought was going to happen really got to me.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:25 PM
TheNewFlutist (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

I guess sad doesn't always include "books that made you cry" because there are those too.

I still think 1984 is by far the darkest book I've ever read, although it didn't make me cry. But War and Peace made me cry, because, although some main characters did die, the main point was the character development of Pierre Bezuhov, and his resulting transformation made me tear up.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:45 PM
bjw181 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

The final scene in Where The Red Fern Grows.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:56 PM
RyleyAlexander (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

Pet Semetary. I read it during a time when I was dealing with three deaths in my life (about a year after really, but still missing them). As with most novel to movie adaptations, you wouldn't expect it to be so deep from the movie. I enjoyed the movie a lot, but the book is very different. It really goes in depth about dealing with death and the healing process of learning to let go. The idea that trying to hold on to something that should really be dead brought up a lot of feelings in me about my grandmother's death. She had Alzheimer's and was a shell of her former self. She had once been a vibrant, beautiful young woman who loved to dance, even won contests. At the end of her life, she sat feebly in her wheelchair, with spit encrusted on her chin. I think reading this book helped me to realize that it was okay for me to feel a sense of relief when she died. I knew then that her suffering was over, and it was okay to be happy about it. Stephen King has a tendency to write books that help me with inner healing because he touches on such deep subjects and really dredges the depths of his reader's emotions.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:59 PM
RyleyAlexander (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

Horns had some really sad moments in it too. When Iggy's grandmother who he thought was the only person left in the world that still loved him told him that she hated him and wished he never been born, when his brother told him that he'd known all along Iggy hadn't killed his girlfriend because he saw Iggy's best friend do it, when he found out she had broken up with him because she had cancer and wanted to spare him the pain of watching her die. So many sad parts!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Ilae (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Lucas from Kenvin Brooks. the saddest book I've ever read and beautifully written. There is a true build up as the story unravels and so much happens, or doesn't happen. The stakes get higher and higher and there is so much hope.
I felt unbalanced for weeks after reading it. I didn't manageto re-read it but I couldn't bring myself to read anything else either !
Old 08-18-2014, 12:03 PM
7thMidget (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

1984 was the one that had the strongest effect on me, but I wouldn't use 'sad' to describe it. 'Dark' seems more appropriate.
Hi. Male. 20yo with a Peter Pan complex. Published (easy when you pay for it - don't). Didn't react well to the exposure; went back to the closet. After a couple of years growing up (ugh), publicly reconfirming my passion for writing (anonymously - interesting). Portuguese (I had to pay for that too). I do dislike official intros and excessive use of brackets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:56 PM
crochetlady99 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 140

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee
Old 10-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Alligrace797 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 6

Jeannie Out Of the bottle by Barbara Eden.

The last part of the book is sad because Barbara dedicates the last chapter to her son named Matthew that died of a drug overdose.

Also Dear Cary by Dyan Cannon.

Dear Cary is just sad because when I read it, I was still very new to the world of older films and it's stars and their personal lives. I was really hoping that maybe Cary and Dyan had stayed together but halfway through I was hoping that she had never met him. Dyan ended up in a mental institution as a result of being married to a man with severe mental and emotional problems that stemmed from his childhood. Dyan tried so hard to keep that marriage together because she loved Cary to bits and because they had an infant daughter at the time but he really drove Dyan away. Dyan remarried once after Cary but that didn't last long and she hasn't been married to anyone since.

This N That by Bette Davis is pretty sad at the end of the book. Bette had written the aforementioned book about 2 to 3 years before she had died and this was also around the time that her daughter released this absolutely insane memoir that was like a la "Mommie Dearest". Bette was absolutely pissed off at B.D. and like totally blasted her at the end of the book. Bette wrote this letter at the end of the book that dissed B.D. to the core and then she had added a letter from Mia Farrow that dissed B.D. to the core and then Bette added letters from her fans that dissed B.D. to the core. B.D. had the nerve to write a book like that after her mother went through Breast Cancer and had several strokes and didn't think that she would ever work again. Bette was my acting idol before I read "This N That" and afterwards I just found her to be straight gangsta.

The Secret Conversations of Ava Gardner by Peter Evans is also another sad book. The aforementioned book is sad because all throughout it is everything showing that Ava Gardner never really stopped loving Frank Sinatra. Both of them were terrible drunks who would fight like cats and dogs but they really did love each other. I have seen some of Ava Gardner's movies and I wish I hadn't seen some of Ava Gardner's movies but she really did sound like a nice girl with a big heart that did not really take snuff off of anyone. Plus she was really smart.....had a huge I.Q. I just wish that she wouldn't have went through so much pain at the end of her life and that maybe she could have reconciled with Frank. Frank loved that woman and took care of her financially when she got sick.....even though they had been divorced for like 30 years at that point. I really hope that Frank and Ava are together now.

Janis Joplin: A biography by Ellis Amburn is another sad book that I have read. I finished it in like 2 days and that was 3 weeks ago and this is a 300+ page book. The aforementioned book was sad because Janis had so many good people around her that loved her and she had everything going for her but those damn drugs ruined everything. Janis was a girl that would open her home to anyone from the biggest millionaire to the homeliest bum on the street. Janis was smart and kind and bighearted and just a lovely person all around but there were people who took advantage of her. Albert Grossman took advantage of Janis Joplin. Seth Morgan took advantage of Janis Joplin. Janis wanted to be loved and accepted and needed and be the outcast that she was in Port Arthur. Janis lived her life by her own rules and very few people understood that. The only person that Janis hurt was herself and that pain stemmed from being bullied in high school and pushed around and just generally being treated like crap. There is a interview of Janis Joplin on Dick Cavett's show where she is talking to Gloria Swanson and she is talking to her like she is on her level...and Gloria Swanson was in her 60's or 70's at that point and Janis was only 27. Janis Joplin had an old soul and I really believe that if she had lived past 1970, oh my god she would have made such a larger mark in music that she had already. "Pearl" is a masterpiece and a sad reminder of sadly what was to come but sadly never did.

I also read a couple of Carol Burnett's books but the only sad thing about those is she really speaks fondly of her daughter, Carrie. Carrie survived a drug addiction very early on in her life but died of Lung and Brain Cancer at 38.

Memories of another day - Harold Robbins

That's just one book that will make me cry anytime that I read. It's just too sad.

I know I was supposed to put like one book but I have read a lot of sad books.

Last edited by Alligrace797; 10-20-2014 at 03:02 PM..
Old 10-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Michael D (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 103

"Ghost Rider" - Neil Peart.
Ironically, the most admired musician from my youth. Truly hurt me knowing what had been forced upon him, and the trials and travels that lead him back from the edge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Set Apart (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

The Golden Filly Series. The book in which her father dies (I don't remember the title).
Old 10-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Beardy (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Not quite the middle or end of the novel, but the beginning of Flowers of Algernon really gets me...
Old 10-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Chayil (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

It was actually a fairytale by Gail Carson Leviene The Two Princess of Bamerre. It was so sad to me at the time (I was 12)
Old 10-21-2014, 05:52 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

I once had a check book.

Got rid of it after my tears soaked the paper into unuseable pulp.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Michael D (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 103

Well played, Nick. Well played.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:08 PM
copenhagen_dipz (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 27

Originally Posted by bjw181 View Post
The final scene in Where The Red Fern Grows.
This. That book is definitely a tear jerker. My dad gave me his old used copy and I read it twice during my childhood. It had me sobbing both times.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Tom Fitch (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

As a kid: Bambi by Disney

When slightly older: Without Family (Sans Famille) by Hector Malot

More recently: The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel, although the long-windedness of that flattened alot of the emotions out, IMHO.

Tom
Old 10-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
Well played, Nick. Well played.
Whew, that's a relief.

I was worried it might be overdrawn.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=Tom Fitch

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel, although the long-windedness of that flattened alot of the emotions out, IMHO.

[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I slogged through this one a couple years back. It's nice to know how to bring down a mastadon and live communally but that lady ... I wonder if she was gettin' paid by the word.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Tom Fitch (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Oh man, I slogged through this one a couple years back. It's nice to know how to bring down a mastadon and live communally but that lady ... I wonder if she was gettin' paid by the word.
I even wrestled myself through The Valley of the Horses and started the Mammothunters... But finally collapsed and went for gin and tonics.

Tom
Old 10-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by Tom Fitch View Post
I even wrestled myself through The Valley of the Horses and started the Mammothunters... But finally collapsed and went for gin and tonics.

Tom

Yeah, I saw she wrote other stuff but I ain't gonna live long enough to throw time that way.
I do respect her command of the craft though.

Of course this is comin' from a guy that jumps in and out of Pound's Cantos .

"I found after seventy years that I was not a lunatic but a moron"
Ezra Pound

If only I can arrive at such insight while still drawing breath.

Last edited by Nick Pierce; 10-22-2014 at 12:40 PM..
Old 10-22-2014, 09:33 PM
MaliciousFriday (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

Of Mice and Men, when George shot Lenny. And though I don't fully remember it, there was a part in The Outsiders that someone died by being shot down by the police.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:18 PM
asdanyad (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

The lord of the flies. It almost made me kill myself.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Agito Z Wilder (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

The Machine Gunners by Robert Westall, it just really upset me, a tale about children fighting against Nazi Germany in their own way, but befriending a German Para in the process, the ending just shook me a little.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:53 PM
CaramelCutie (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Not sure.. but one of them has to be "The Catcher In The Rye" by J.D Salinger. I find it sad how he strives to be the person to help other people yet he fails to realise his own faults. Then he ends up in a psychiatric unit at the end.. quite sad.. but mostly just a great book in general!
Old 11-20-2014, 07:36 AM
Beth (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 5

I'd say 1894 by George Orwell. It is sad, and depressing as it was already mentioned.. I was really impressed. I liked it but I would not read it again...

writes here
Old 01-03-2015, 09:53 AM
SailorMystery15 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 4

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas or Of Mice and Men. Both endings are so sad.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library