WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Story Writing Contest

View Poll Results: Would you like to participate in a story writing contest for writing the worst story.
Yes, It would sound like fun. 8 88.89%
No, it doesn't sound good, and I'm not your friend anymore. 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Blackhawk_t (Offline)
Dangling Participles ROCK
Official Member

Thanks 0
Story Writing Contest

I wanted to get everyone's opinion about having a writing contest (for fun) where we have a two week period to write the story, and then a series of judges give feedback.

Yes, I know it sounds like literary maneuvers, but I wanted to change it up a bit.

When you write the story, it would be 500 words or less...or poetry, but you use the worst form of grammar you can. Such as Dephere's pet peave of repeating yourself. Spelling needs to be correct, and the story has to make sense.

Winners would be judged on creativity, content, and performance....or whatever we think it should be based on.

If it sounds good, let me know, and we can get some judges lined up for it and get the ball rollin. If not, then PM oasis a bunch and ask him why the dishwasher is not unloaded yet.

Thanks

T-Rav

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Originally Posted by DFischer
If you need anything don't hestitate to ask.

Unless it involves bending over
Old 05-11-2006, 03:15 AM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

This sounds a little similar to the plagiarism contest in Commmercial Writings, but with a different angle. It a possibility. Want to pole it?

Old 05-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Blackhawk_t (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 0

Yeah, that looked like a fun contest, and got my head to spinnin'. I wanted something that nobody would actually try writing on purpose. I'll try and throw a poll out there.

-

Old 05-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Occasionalpoet (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0

The only way I'm gonna participate is if there is no word limit. I can't write a decent story of 500 words or less!

“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.”-Nikola Tesla
Old 05-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Dephere

If there is no word limit, then the judges would find themselves reading forever. If there is no word limit, then the judges would find themselves reading forever.

It's funny to see my name mentioned in here, glad to see I'm always in your thoughts, Black!

I think it sounds like a great idea....I'm always down for some fun contests.

I vote yes.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Occasionalpoet (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0

Okay, put a limit but make it 3,000 words. There is no way even gonna try and write a 500 word story. I can't even write a 500 word essay!

“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.”-Nikola Tesla
Old 05-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Dephere

3,000 is asking way too much for judges who are volunteering their own time, it's up to the author to use their words economically and creatively to weave an interesting story that evokes a sense of completeness.

You can always give it a shot, if it doesn't work, then don't enter. Your writing talent can shine in 500 words, the only thing that could stop you is yourself.

I know, it's hard, I've been there myself, but I always end up turning out with a story in the word limit.

If you have too much trouble I'd be willing to lend a helping hand.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Blackhawk_t (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 0

First off, it's hard to turn out a misworded story in 500 words. Could you imagine trying something at 3000. If you had 10 entries at 3000 words, that would take quite a while to read and evaluate. Especially in a weeks time or so.

I will post an example here shortly of what I mean, and then everyone can give feedback, and we can get the ball rolling. Sound okay?

-

Old 05-16-2006, 05:38 AM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

I have turned in a few in the 750 to 1000 word length before. You can get a good story in, with less than a 1000 words.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Wisp (Offline)
Mysterious Villain
Official Member

Thanks 26

Sounds fun to me, will be a little chaotic also! I'll offer to be a judge (if you'll have me) just as long as I can join in the fun
Old 05-16-2006, 08:56 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

I say the word limit should be a 1000, we critique that length, and if you're judging it you read and evaluate you dont have to type up errors and suggestions just an overal summary of feelings and thoughts. If that..

I'm interested! I'll judge and enter if you need me to.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Wisp (Offline)
Mysterious Villain
Official Member

Thanks 26

I agree with Kal. 1000 words is good, and can easily be read through quickly, and thouroughly. Kal is also right that it would be hard to type up errors, and therefore and overal summery of thoughts and feelings would be good too. However, I think the plotline should also be one of the things critiqued.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:51 AM
Blackhawk_t (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 0

Okay, awesome. Here is an example of something that could be posted. Tell me what you think. Granted you could get more creative, but this will give you an idea. Still has a plot, but this one doesn't really make sense. So, we'd have to focus on that aspect. This sooooo poorly written.

Taco's De'Stolen

Little big Tommy used to like to go down to the Taco stand and order some of his most favorite Taco's especially the ones, he really, liked to eat and then go home to his house that he lived in with his; parents who he really liked to hang out with because he was still on about around eight years old and

stuff which made the time he spent; with his family a great lot of fun time? One time during the day before nIGht had come because it was still morning: He had bought a brand new calculator that he had purchased still in the packaged wrapper box with the price tag still on it and he went to the stoRe clerk who was helping him with buying the new calculator because he was ready to check out and needed to find someone who would help him ring up the purchase and then Tommy stopped to talk to the man and said to him "Sir" could"you please" help mE with this purchase!"? The man guy stopped to

Talk with Tommy and said to him, "I can

Help" you with" with purchase?" but you need to help me put some boxes IN the back of the store? Okay!" Then he went back to the back of the store that was in the back behind the back counter near the truck parking area and helped him to unload the boxes of stuff in the back and Tommy said to him: I "can't not" help you more any time with this because I need to eat some more lunch from my house and then" Tommy left to go home and everyone cheered at his high score on the new pac-man game he had bought with the new calculator because he hawked it from the back. ThE end.

-

Old 05-17-2006, 06:27 AM
Wisp (Offline)
Mysterious Villain
Official Member

Thanks 26

How confusing! This fits me perfectly...
Old 05-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

I read SPED lang. Your errors were a little too calculated and monotonous. Blackhawk_t, we all know you are capable of much worse than this...

Old 05-17-2006, 11:53 PM
Blackhawk_t (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 0

Awesome....So, we'll get it going. How many judges should we have? Or should everyone that submits judge everyone elses but theirs? We'll make it a 1000 words or less, and give a week to write and submit. Or is that too short. Give me some feedback.

I actually had written the above piece much worse, but the stupid MS Word fixed all the errors.. LOL

-

Old 05-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Blackhawk_t (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 0

I need five volunteers for judges. Then we'll get started. If you judge, you can also write a story, but you can't judge your own.

Thanks

-

Old 05-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Oasis Writer (Offline)
A Crimson Evanescence
Loyal Member

Thanks 20

Sure, wtf, I'll help out. Surprise me with a PM if you want my to judge.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:57 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden

Count me in. It sounds like fun! The last work I wrote (not posted) someone pointed out about 30 grammar errors. This will be great.

When's it over? Please say it's not over till at least Tuesday
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off … but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written — George V. Higgins
You know you want to -

Last edited by Tau; 02-26-2010 at 04:29 AM..
Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Dela, you might want to look at the date and time stamp in the top left corner of posts, and there is no reason to double post.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 323

Been over for a good four years, Dela

Wow, quite a relic. Look at that... Jay, and Dephere, and OccasionalPoet, and Kal... it's like an old-times lineup.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe