WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

I think I have a plot hole...

Old 12-23-2009, 05:10 AM
Wyldfyre (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default I think I have a plot hole...

I just noticed that I may have created a major plot hole in Ariana's Soulmate. If any of you have read my fourth excerpt, you should be aware of a group of people who were banished from Shiana about 300 years before the beginning of the story.

Here's where I believe the plot hole is, the people who were banished from Shiana included amoung them Arkoa's founders including Ariana's great-grandfather Eilon Arko. With Eilon being Ariana's great-grandfather, obviously his generation would have existed three generations prior to Ariana's.

Assuming that each generation would have lasted for about 90 years and could have overlapped with it's previous generation about 30 years and lasted an additional 30 years into the next generation after it, it now feels like a 300 year span is too long.

I ran some preliminary mathematical calculations and they indicated that the span wouldn't have reached anywhere near 300 years. The span would only have reach at most about 210 years and a mininum of 180 years. I am thinking about reducing the time span from 300 years to only 200 years. Any comments?

Old 12-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 323

The average generation is about 25 years long, though that depends on how early in life people tend to have children. If, in your civilisation, 16 or so is the average childbearing age, you're going to have shorter generations--say nineteen years or so. But if it's generally happening later in life, like 30-40, the generational gap will expand to 30 or more years.

From those calculations, as well as the numbers you yourself have run, about 150 years seems to be the maximum--we're talking four generations here, right? I'd really say go more for 120 or so. If this is a fantasy world based on medieval times, it's likely that the childbearing age would be twenty or below.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Wyldfyre (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0

I just ran the calculations again and I think that your right, Winterbite. It appears that my initial calculations were flawed a bit. I don't know how or why I originally got a span of 180 to 230 years. I have never been too strong with math and used a graphical method to calculate the span. It seems the graph I set up wasn't correctly aligned.

The results I got from this latest attempt were more in line with your figures, 120 years minimum to 150 years maximum. I'm going to set the span at about 120 years now. Thanks man.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Glass_Pinata (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 71

Just compare it to your family for realism.

Last edited by Glass_Pinata; 11-06-2010 at 09:29 AM..
Old 12-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Wyldfyre (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Ariana certainly isn't in her eighties. She's in her early twenties at twenty-three. I think a 120 to 150 year span is good enough, I am getting headaches from trying to solve this delemma.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 323

This just gets more confusing I'm not good at math either, I must confess. I just happen to know trivia like the average age of a generation. I picked it up somewhere, didn't figure it out myself

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues