WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

Feedback Request: Nine & Sixty Ways

View Poll Results: How do you use Nine & Sixty Ways?
I don't read Nine & Sixty Ways. (Or: Nine & Sixty What?!) 6 50.00%
I read it, but that's all. 2 16.67%
I try to apply the "ways"; I just don't post my poetic responses. 3 25.00%
I'd like something with more contests or games instead of the challenges. 0 0%
I think the subforum could improved. I'll give my suggestions and thoughts below! 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2009, 01:01 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484
Default Feedback Request: Nine & Sixty Ways

Hi all! It's been about nine months since I started posting the Nine & Sixty Ways poetry subforum. I enjoy researching and writing the topics, but I'd like to get some feedback on how it's serving WB!

In particular, I notice that not many people respond the the challenges to use the poetic tool. That could be because it's harder to write poetry in response to prompts than it is to write prose. Maybe you'd prefer to explore the topics differently, say, through scavenger hunts about the poetry forum or something similar. I won't know unless you tell me!

So, please select one option from the poll above, and by all means post your own ideas or feedback in this thread.
Thanks,
HoiLei

Old 05-29-2009, 02:56 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

I'm not really a poet, but I do read the little workshop tips when they are posted. Sometimes I try them out, sometimes I don't - time is my great problem, more than lack of interest.

Having said that, I wonder if maybe we could get help with some of the more basic things, ie repetition: when is it a good thing, and when does it weaken the message? Or maybe some tips on enjambment: breaking lines to enhance the flow and highlight particular words.

Advice on scansion and meter also wouldn't go amiss. A lot of people write in free verse but seem to be lacking a basic understanding about what is poetry and what is simply free-writing. As someone who writes in both free verse and rhyming-metered verse, I would be interested in learning about the various forms and meters. It's my humble belief that understanding some of the basic beats would help compositions in structured and non-structured forms.

Just my twopenceworth.

EDIT: I didn't vote because I wasn't really sure which one to select!

EDIT TWO: SW makes some good points. Maybe 9&60 Ways needs to be moved or set up as its own forum? Then you could have sub-forums as with the P&C forum. These could be for Techniques (alliteration, repetition, end-stop vs enjambment, Petrarchan conceits, and suchlike), Tools (metrical feet, meter, rhyme schemes, couplets, and so on), or Styles (free verse, blank verse, odes, elegies, sonnets, etceteras).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Q Wands; 05-29-2009 at 04:18 AM..
Old 05-29-2009, 03:28 AM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

My three cents... for each suggestion.

Firstly, I think you need to 'advertise' Nine and Sixty Ways around the forum more. I don't know how. It's just that a subforum might not be such a great way to have something as helpful as this.

How about next to the Prompts and Challenges? It's interesting to note that 9&60 Ways seems so much like a cross-breed between the Prompts and Challenges section and the Reference Room. A referral area for poetry where poets, or aspiring poets, or just learners, can try out the various styles.

Secondly, coverage of specific topics catering to different types of poetry at a time, instead of trying to appeal to everyone. For instance, what Q suggested. This way, you get a lot more topics to post - and it would introduce people to different styles of poetry as well.

Which leads to the last point - why not introduce 'styles' into it as well? I know you've done it a bit, but I think it's all a bit confusing: perhaps you could arrange some subforums... the different styles, which in the subforum have topics on, firstly, the style itself, and then below that topics covering the poetic techniques that are handy to know about for that particular style. Then in the general forum, the N&S Ways forum, they can post their trials. This way, the subforums are there and so is the main poem for trials and such.

Seems a bit confusing, but I feel this will create a good way of approaching it. Or try it the other way, the opposite way.

Or simplify it and approach it differently, but using the general concept.

Also consider member input, like the Reference Room.

Now, it's more like 5 cents or so. Payment, Hoi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-29-2009, 03:30 AM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Thinking about it, that is confusing - more unappealing due to the subforums normally being shown under the forum title...

Consider also, then, two subforums instead:

Styles and Techniques

or something like that.

And then, again, the main forum for the poets to try it out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

Thanks, guys! So what I'm hearing is that the topics in Nine & Sixty Ways are sort of jumbled together and random? (Well, they are, because I just started with whatever I thought of first! It's always easier to organize things after you have them written down.) I'm off to look at the Ref Room and see if a similar set up would work! Right now, the poetry terms in the Ref Room are linked to 9&60 articls, but that's it.

I'll be back after brainstorming. More comments about organization, encouraging member participation, etc. are very welcome.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

With the P&C, it's clear that people can respond to a prompt or challenge any time. There's no cut-off date since there's no competition. I'm sure the same is true for the poetry prompts so it would be good to make that clear. And maybe a small contest now and then would also be good to publicise the forum; everyone loves a contest. I know the staff are busy, but maybe judging could be down to the general membership, same as with the others?

Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

One contest idea I've considered is having scavenger hunts based on something I see being used in poems posted around the same time. Example: "Can you find X number of examples of apostrophe in the poetry forum in the last month?" That would hopefully increase traffic and reading in the poetry section. Don't know what the prize could be...

Any other contest ideas?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:43 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

I haven't really read Nine & Sixty Ways, but I've been a poet for afair few years now, and I'm stuck in my ways a touch. I will try new things but I tend to research them myself. I often end up doing a lot of research into my poems anyway, like when a beer was created, or an inscription on a painting.

I do however believe that this sort of forum should be available for others. I personally don't need it, but if I didn't know the right places to look for what I want, or have the ability( mostly patience) to sift through pages and pages of incorrect or badly explained material then I'd be so thankful to have a place I could come to have new avenues opened for me.

As for increasing traffic, don't ask me. I find it so hard to get anyone to do what I want.

Keep it going though.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:47 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

Originally Posted by SW View Post
Firstly, I think you need to 'advertise' Nine and Sixty Ways around the forum more. I don't know how. It's just that a subforum might not be such a great way to have something as helpful as this.
True! It just occured to me that some people only visit certain forums! My routine is to log on, click "New Posts" and read them one by one, so I'm all over the place. (Right now I'm behind by 60 threads due to end of semester crunch, but soon I'll catch up!) However, other people may only click on a few forums, so they might not go into Nine & Sixty Ways, even if it has a new thread up. Hmm... Where to advertise?

Originally Posted by SW
How about next to the Prompts and Challenges? It's interesting to note that 9&60 Ways seems so much like a cross-breed between the Prompts and Challenges section and the Reference Room. A referral area for poetry where poets, or aspiring poets, or just learners, can try out the various styles.
It is sort of a cross breed, isn't it?

I think one reason people don't try the techniques out may be that it's intimidating to write a whole poem based on a technique, especially as poets tend to take their poems very personally. But people learn more when they relax and play with the words; then they can apply what they learn in the poems which matter more deeply to them.

downpourofwords recently started a collaborative poem thread, which has been fun. I wonder if people might enjoy similar stuff based on techniques. For instance, Collaborative Blank Verse: each person contributes a line of iambic pentameter to keep the story going. Sort of like a game or workshop. Would anyone be interested in that?

Also, I'm not the only fan of poetry hereabouts, so I wonder if others would like to contribute topics? Perhaps, after sorting things like Q Wands and SW suggest, there could be a list of open topics that anyone can claim and write about. Yes, no, maybe so?

Thanks for the feedback, Kal! As things are, I do the sifting and write it up as clearly as I can. The problem is that I don't know what people want to read or learn about, so I'm just going by what interests me. As a result, I feel like I'm talking to myself!

Well, I have some more ideas, now.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:23 PM
castlesofsand (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 36
Default the poll

i was looking on the poll for a

'i really like this forum, it is both helpful and informative...but couldn't find an option that said that.

But i'm new to this site and did find it that way. I have tried a few contests and a challenge, rushed one...grrrr....promised myself to get out of that flash mode of writing.

Still all in all a useful selection of tools to employ on my next pieces.

so thank you all who participate.

CoS
Old 06-23-2009, 05:03 PM
wildthing (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Send a message via AIM to wildthing Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing

I haven't visited it yet, but I am still new, and I haven't seen everything on here yet. I am sure that once I explore more and more of this site, I will read more of the different areas that are on here.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback