WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Classifieds

Classifieds Advertisements go here. Content of this forum does not represent the service provided at this web site.

Association of Authors' Representatives

Old 01-19-2009, 11:53 PM
El902 (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 42
Send a message via AIM to El902 Send a message via MSN to El902
Default Association of Authors' Representatives

First, let me say I am not a part of this association. My mother showed me this link and I found it unbelievable that, as a writer and a previous member of many writing boards, I haven't heard of it before. I think it's an invaluable source for those of you here who are serious in getting published, because it 'introduces' you to the best and brightest agents, editors and publishers out there. A statement from their site:

Our Mission
The Association of Authors' Representatives is a not-for-profit organization of qualified literary agents and dramatic representatives of authors, dramatist and other creators and owners of intellectual property. Our Canon of Ethics governs the conduct of our members, and we function through our By-Laws which provide for a Board of Directors elected by the members and for committees appointed by the Board, such as the committees on Contracts, Royalty Statements, Programs, Dramatists Issues, International Affairs, Membership, Publisher's Lists, Website, and Publicity. We also appoint liaisons to other organizations involved in the publishing, entertainment and information industries in order to identify issues of mutal concern and work together whenever possible.

We provide information, education and support for our members, and through persuasion and advocacy we work to protect and enhance the best interests of our clients. We affirm the full individuality of our members and their freedom to act on their clients' behalf, subject to our Canon of Ethics and its obligation to uphold integrity and the highest professional standards in all business dealings

And from their Canon of Ethics:

The members of the Association of Authors' Representatives, Inc. are committed to the highest standard of conduct in the performance of their professional activities. While affirming the necessity and desirability of maintaining their full individuality and freedom of action, the members pledge themselves to loyal service to their clients' business and artistic needs, and will allow no conflicts of interest that would interfere with such service. They pledge their support to the Association itself and to the principles of honorable coexistence, directness, and honesty in their relationships with their co-members. They undertake never to mislead, deceive, dupe, defraud, or victimize their clients, other members of the Association, the general public, or any person with whom they do business as a member of the Association.
Quite obviously a very trusted, accredited place to find a the person you need concerning getting published.

Their link: AAR

PearlsofEve (01-22-2009)
Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Lin

A good check. However, many very good agents are NOT with AAR for any number of reasons. (One reason in some cases is that they are really huge, with killer clients and don't bother with it, or perhaps even had a falling out with them and don't really need to renew membership)

I almost hate to post anything about agent search on boards like this. I keep having visions of all these half-cocked emo teenaged geniuses clogging the system with their appeals that Mary Evans of Sandra Dyykstra take a look at their idea or a 6 part series that isn't really a LOTR knockoff like everybody is saying.

BUT, if everybody will promise not to do that, what I do is first run searches on AgentQuery, anything that turns up I generally check on AAR and Publishers Marketplace.
And I google the agent. If there is anything really awful it pops up, usually on absolutewrite, but also on the various watchman sites.

Here's a blog post about agent search, written by a great and highly underestimated leader in the field of border knavery and "dick lit".

HOW TO FIND AN AGENT

Last edited by Lin; 01-20-2009 at 07:54 AM..
Old 01-23-2009, 03:53 PM
JeanneTomlin (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

Another database site, also free, with excellent information and links on agents is http://www.Agentquery.net. They also provide a database you can use to track your queries and with the information gathered show average return times and which agents respond to queries and ask for partials or fulls.

While the majority of respectable agents are members of AAR, there are good ones who aren't. I know of several of them. So while the AAR website is a good source I wouldn't consider membership make or break for choosing an agent.

What I DO consider make or break is this website: http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/

They have a database on which agents have a record of sales and which have a record of complaints. Any they consider questionable, I personally wouldn't touch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JeanneTomlin; 01-23-2009 at 04:08 PM..
Old 01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Lin

Lol
Old 01-23-2009, 04:41 PM
JeanneTomlin (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

*shrug* Helpful comment.

Another place to check out agents BEFORE querying them is: http://www.sfwa.org/Beware/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Lin

Yeah, I'd have to think my comments here would be helpful to people seeking agents.
I think it's kind of funny that you have put up a post repeating some of that information.

Is that OK with you?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:42 PM
JeanneTomlin (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

Actually it is rather amusing since I read your post and mistyped the link I meant to recommend. (And the .net would probably have made it wrong anyway. They're at http://agentquery.com/)

The site I meant to recommend was http://www.querytracker.net.

Is that ok with you?

Last edited by JeanneTomlin; 01-23-2009 at 06:07 PM..
Old 01-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Lin

Oh you betcha, honey. Dig down in my posts and you can probably find some more stuff to repeat.

Let me ask you this. Do you consider having a book on lulu.com to be "published" or qualifying for expertise in this field?

Just curious.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:52 PM
JeanneTomlin (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

No need to dig down in your posts, honey.

I've been a member of querytracker for quite some time, but thanks anyway. Do you really truly think you're the only one who knows about websites that have been on the Writer's Digest 100 Best list at least two years running?

What does lulu.com have to do with AAR and agent search resources, or are you trying to drag in a "discussion" from another thread, perchance?

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Oh you betcha, honey. Dig down in my posts and you can probably find some more stuff to repeat.

Let me ask you this. Do you consider having a book on lulu.com to be "published" or qualifying for expertise in this field?

Just curious.

Last edited by JeanneTomlin; 01-23-2009 at 06:56 PM..
Old 01-24-2009, 02:25 PM
El902 (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 42
Send a message via AIM to El902 Send a message via MSN to El902

I appreciate that both of you shared other useful websites for finding agents/publishing houses (honestly, I didn't know there were so many resources) but I'd intended for this to be originally just for AAR, and now that I see I've overlooked quite a few other resources, a general reference thread for anyone looking for an agent/whatever they need.

So please, by all means, if anyone wants to share their resources for finding such people I ask you to post them here. But general discussion wasn't intended (I guess I can't say it's not allowed, but it's hard to find gold among the rocks. The rocks would be the discussion... I'm not good at metaphors.)

El

WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Classifieds