WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

How many words per average novel page?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Val Jester (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 13
Default How many words per average novel page?

Hello, I was just wondering how many words the average novel has on a page?

I am writing a novel right now, and i'm up to 4025 words in 10.5 size Times New Romans, I was wondering if anyone could calculate how many pages that would be in a, for example, Harry Potter sized book.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Rozaline (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 2

A quick google search suggest that the average is somewhere between 250 and 300 words per page for a general paperback novel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rozaline For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (04-30-2014)
Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 713

If you're using a program that has a word count feature on it, try taking a page from a book and typing it in that program and check it from there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 448

What a strange query.

Word counts vary depending on font, double or single-spaced, whether there is more narrative or dialogue, and so on. I tend to get about 500 words, single-spaced, per page which is probably a fair estimate. Although drafts are often double-spaced to aid editing, books are single-spaced. Four-thousand words then would be about 8 pages single-spaced for a decent sized hardback; maybe 12 to 16 pages for a paperback.

What is a Harry Potter sized book? Hardback or soft? A5, A6? Book sizes, ergo their page sizes, also vary.

I suspect you are trying to work out how many pages you have written as a judge of how far into your novel you are, but publishers won't ask you how many pages your story is, they will ask you how many words you've written. And the average novel, for the purposes of word count only, is between 80,000 and 120,000 words.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Q Wands For This Useful Post:
Creeper (04-28-2013)
Old 09-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

Originally Posted by Q Wands
And the average novel, for the purposes of word count only, is between 80,000 and 120,000 words.
Really? My current one is 230,000 in and still counting!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 448

Seriously, that could be a problem, Daedalus. From what I read, a lot of publishers don't want to see more than 120K from a new (ie previously unpublished) author. I've heard of some being asked to cut 150K down to 120K.

Edit: My novel in progress will blow that limit if it carries on as it has been, lol.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Young Skywalker (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Word Count Questions...

Hello All... I'm new here and new to novel writing.

I am using MS Word and it tells me that I have over 51,000 words. It's a political thriller and I think I'm about halfway through. I had read somewhere that 100,000 words was fairly standard for a book of this genre.

Can anyone help confirm that? Also, how many book-sized printed pages that 51,000 words would equate?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:38 AM
JBStone (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 50

Originally Posted by Young Skywalker View Post
Hello All... I'm new here and new to novel writing.

I am using MS Word and it tells me that I have over 51,000 words. It's a political thriller and I think I'm about halfway through. I had read somewhere that 100,000 words was fairly standard for a book of this genre.

Can anyone help confirm that? Also, how many book-sized printed pages that 51,000 words would equate?

Thanks.
First, I don't know why you felt the need to revive a two-year-old thread to ask a question that has already been answered. The post by Q Wands should give you some idea. But as she stressed in her post, page count is irrelevant. No one will ever ask you how many pages it is. They'll ask you how many words it is, since page counts will vary depending on the size of the print and on the size of the book.

I just googled "How long should my thriller novel be" and I found several articles that attempt to answer this question.

The Following User Says Thank You to JBStone For This Useful Post:
Young Skywalker (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by JBStone View Post
First, I don't know why you felt the need to revive a two-year-old thread to ask a question that has already been answered. The post by Q Wands should give you some idea. But as she stressed in her post, page count is irrelevant. No one will ever ask you how many pages it is. They'll ask you how many words it is, since page counts will vary depending on the size of the print and on the size of the book.

I just googled "How long should my thriller novel be" and I found several articles that attempt to answer this question.
Thank you JBStone... didn't intend to be a pest. I found ths thread (and this forum) through Google. I will keep any future dead-thread revivals to a stark minimum. I'll check out your Google search as wel.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 AM
JBStone (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 50

You're not a pest, Skywalker. It's just that reviving threads this old is generally frowned upon.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't be so bold as to offer advice to a guy who is closer to finishing a novel than I have ever been, but I would worry less about page counts and more about story. I understand making your story marketable and all that, and that's actually good foresight on your part wanting to know what the "industry standard" is for your type of novel. But don't let that get in the way, is all I'm saying.

The Following User Says Thank You to JBStone For This Useful Post:
Young Skywalker (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by JBStone View Post
You're not a pest, Skywalker. It's just that reviving threads this old is generally frowned upon.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't be so bold as to offer advice to a guy who is closer to finishing a novel than I have ever been, but I would worry less about page counts and more about story. I understand making your story marketable and all that, and that's actually good foresight on your part wanting to know what the "industry standard" is for your type of novel. But don't let that get in the way, is all I'm saying.
I agree wholeheartedly. I have had this story in my head for some time and am now putting it to paper (or to MS Word actually). Since I had never come close to finishing a book, I was just curious as to what standards that there might be or what measurements are used.

This is new territory for me and I think that a forum like this is a wonderful concept. I appreciate your replies and thank you for your advice.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,390
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

for calculation purposes assume 250 words per page.

Meet the staff, see how a magazine is made, read author interviews, shout your lungs raw in the discussion area...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike C For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (05-02-2012), Creeper (04-28-2013)
Old 09-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Maria Cunanan (Offline)
Official Member

Send a message via ICQ to Maria Cunanan Send a message via AIM to Maria Cunanan Send a message via Yahoo to Maria Cunanan Send a message via Skype™ to Maria Cunanan

I think that you should go and visit www.gumbowriters.com. There you can see some good advices.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Ethan Blake (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 346
Send a message via AIM to Ethan Blake Send a message via Skype™ to Ethan Blake

Hi Val,
The average U.K. novel has between 400 and five hundred words to a page, depending on size of words and sentence construction, when publishers put out a call for submissions for first time novels it is usually 60 - 100k words.
The smaller publishing houses will take less 50 - 80k words
Hope this helps
Regards
David

'THERE MAY BE TROUBLE AHEAD!'

The Following User Says Thank You to Ethan Blake For This Useful Post:
Creeper (04-28-2013)
Old 10-11-2011, 12:17 PM
W1tn355 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Sorry, I am not trying to undermine you what so ever but, I do believe that your math may be a bit off. If you are insisting that on average a page is 500 words or 4,000 words the equivalent of 8 pages. By simple math you saying the average book is 80,000-120,000 words, would mean on average a novel is 160-240 pages. These would be classified as short novels or more so novels for older kids or younger teens. I haven't read a book that short in a long time. So there might be more to it I'm not quite sure I'm just curious. I am also writing a novel right now which is why I came across this thread. I am currently 12,000 words in and I have counted through a few novels that I own and most pages are a bit over 300 words-just under 400 a page. But, yes it does depend on spacing, and size of the actual book and so on. But the easiest way I would say to measure is simply by finding a few books that you own and like and taking the 2 minutes to count. it helps you to get an idea for a novel that you enjoy and the sizing and everything that is involved.
Originally Posted by Q Wands View Post
What a strange query.

Word counts vary depending on font, double or single-spaced, whether there is more narrative or dialogue, and so on. I tend to get about 500 words, single-spaced, per page which is probably a fair estimate. Although drafts are often double-spaced to aid editing, books are single-spaced. Four-thousand words then would be about 8 pages single-spaced for a decent sized hardback; maybe 12 to 16 pages for a paperback.

What is a Harry Potter sized book? Hardback or soft? A5, A6? Book sizes, ergo their page sizes, also vary.

I suspect you are trying to work out how many pages you have written as a judge of how far into your novel you are, but publishers won't ask you how many pages your story is, they will ask you how many words you've written. And the average novel, for the purposes of word count only, is between 80,000 and 120,000 words.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Head SPaG Ninja

Thanks 1,462

Wow. A 2008 thread. Old, old, old! Lol.

Still, useful. . . .
Visit:

. What's it to ya?

- NOW OPEN!

Old 10-12-2011, 05:24 AM
Dragon King (Offline)
The Watchdragon
Official Member

Thanks 215

This is weird - this thread is the reason I joined I googled the question, found this thread and started to look around. The rest is history...
Old 11-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Kas81 (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 149

Ah well at least we know who to blame now for your existence

Life is a journey, you hold the map

Hope for the best, expect the worst, accept whatever happens

A person's true strength is shown in how they handle failure, not success

Old 11-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Dragon King (Offline)
The Watchdragon
Official Member

Thanks 215

Only a month late there Kas...
Old 11-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Kas81 (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 149

Yes an exact month...almost

Life is a journey, you hold the map

Hope for the best, expect the worst, accept whatever happens

A person's true strength is shown in how they handle failure, not success

Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 PM
kylewrittenword (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Icon14

What a strange query.

Hope this helps.
-
-
-
Dude, this was helpful. I was wondering this same thing, but I was more wondering how many words were in a while book. I have an online book that is 23 chapters at 3,000 words per chapter on average, sometimes as much as 4900 words, or as few as 2000 words. Your average novel word count was a great reference.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Halness (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

What a strange query.

Hope this helps.
That was the gayest response I have ever seen. I registered, just to tell you that. Nobody asks 'a query'. Using words nobody uses is sometimes a sign that you know words most don't - but more often, it's just that you use words that everyone else passes over. As is the case with 'query'. As for the rest of your jack-off session: why didn't you just say, 'The number of words on a page changes with its layout. Publishers count words, not pages anyway.' There. Done. Why all the semen-spraying and useless fact shoving-down-throating. Did it help him at all? Gahhd.

P.S. 'Ergo'... are you for real?

Last edited by Halness; 06-17-2013 at 10:09 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Halness For This Useful Post:
NurseBritt88 (07-20-2014)
Old 06-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene
Administration

Thanks 456

Originally Posted by Halness View Post
That was the gayest response I have ever seen. I registered, just to tell you that. Nobody asks 'a query'. Using words nobody uses is sometimes a sign that you know words most don't - but more often, it's just that you use words that everyone else passes over. As is the case with 'query'. As for the rest of your jack-off session: why didn't you just say, 'The number of words on a page changes with its layout. Publishers count words, not pages anyway.' There. Done. Why all the semen-spraying and useless fact shoving-down-throating. Did it help him at all? Gahhd.

P.S. 'Ergo'... are you for real?
*Whispers* Dude, you know that particular post is over, what- - five years old?

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whiskers For This Useful Post:
amberzak (06-17-2013), JustcallmeEd (06-18-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 AM
Jessabela (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Really? Wow, I'm only up to 30,000 at the moment. Editing here and there to try and add more in where I can.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:15 AM
FutureFootball (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

I was about to post and than saw how old the thread was! Phew!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:33 PM
aqua_lens (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Old 04-18-2014, 06:03 AM
Telurides (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 3

Here it is mid-2014 and here I am, a relatively new writer seeking answers about how many words a novel is long. I know that it can sometimes be considered bad form to necro a thread, however, I do so for two purposes. The first is to say thank you, this post confirmed what I thought I might have heard elsewhere, that is, that a novel should be roughly 100,000 words long (after editing).

The second, however, is to say that you may want to break the rules about replying to old threads for this post, if only because for some reason your SEO ranking for this page puts it at the top of Google, a mighty feat considering there are people who work round the clock to achieve the same thing, and often with limited results.

You may even want to sticky the thread, add (hooray for the edit function) a welcome to new authors in the initial post, and extend an invitation for them to sign up to your site. Anyway, just my two cents.
The Following User Says Thank You to Telurides For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (04-30-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 AM
noodle24 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

If you use Scrivener, it calculates a page by default as 350 words which is somewhat close to what it turns out to be on Amazon.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:30 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 723

how many words? more like how many characters?
I don't' count.
but I always for the short style version.
last is pissed.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:04 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,453

The word count averages vary between genres and countries.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues