WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry > Nine and Sixty Ways Poetry Tools and Lessons

Nine and Sixty Ways Poetry Tools and Lessons Poetry Tools and Lessons on the Beat. Your first stop for learning and help with poetic technique.

9&60 Ways - Cinquain

Old 09-05-2008, 03:36 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481
Default 9&60 Ways - Cinquain

(Last of the three mini-lessons for September. There will be one a month after this.)

The cinquain is a poem of five lines. Adelaide Crapsey, an American poet in the early 1900's, standardized the form. Inspired by Japanese haiku and tanka, her cinquains have a strict syllable count:

2 syllables in the first line, then
4 syll.
6 syll.
8 syll.
2 syll.

Her titles often acted as extra lines, illuminating the meaning of the poem. Her poem "Triad" is an example:

Triad
These be
Three silent things:
The falling snow... the hour
Before the dawn... the mouth of one
Just dead.

The "didactic ciquain" is often taught in elementary school to help children write their first poems. But that doesn't mean we can't have fun with them, too! Rather than counting syllables, the didactic version specifies what parts of speech to use:

One-word title
Two adjectives describing that title
Three-word phrase
Four words about your feelings on it
One-word synonym for title

Have fun and share your cinquains with us. They can be Crapsey or didactic, sweet or snarky, whatever you want!

Questions and comments about this lesson go in this thread. Your work can be posted as a separate thread with "Cinquain" in the title.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:36 PM
glberen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 8

I might have a go at a Crappy Cinquain.

Elevate the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Don't worry. It won't hurt. Click.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:39 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

Teehee! Crapsey Cinquain. But do have a go... I'll bet you could make something totally unformulaic with the formula.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry > Nine and Sixty Ways Poetry Tools and Lessons