WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, set down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Spring Break Stories

Old 04-10-2008, 10:44 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Spring Break Stories

Since this is spring break time, does anyone have any stories about wild personal experiences with this rite of youth?

I'll start this thread with my own:

I was a senior in high school when my best friend and I drove to Saugatuck, a normally quiet little town on Lake Michigan which quadrupled in population during spring break.

Most of the visitors were college students, so we stuck out a bit. Not to worry, however. The phony IDs we brought to buy beer said we were 21 and we told everyone we were juniors at the University of Michigan.

For three days and nights we stayed drunk, lied liked champions and chased older girls. To save money for beer, we ate very little and slept in the car, which was uncomfortable because the night temperature was cold.

One morning I woke up under the car and I couldn't remember how I had gotten there. I didn't look out of place, though. Every morning there were young bodies asleep in odd positions outdoors all over town. Saugatuck looked like a scene from a cheap post-apocalypse movie -- Morning Of The Nearly Dead Hungover.

My memories are somewhat fuzzy, especially after all these years, but I recall an older man giving us a ride one night after we ran out of gas. As I sat next to him in the front seat, he slipped his hand over my leg while talking and I told him to stop the car. We walked the rest of the way to the gas station.

Mostly, we drove around and partayed with college students. They were a wild bunch desperate to have fun before returning to campus. My mother would have said they were a bad influence on me, but she never went to college, so what did she know?

After we limped back to our hometown, I had a hangover that lasted for days. It was my first, but very far from my last.

Ironically, when I finally went to college myself, I never indulged in the spring break ritual. I didn't have to. There was a party every night in the Big Island rainforest community where I lived at the time.

Let's hear your spring break story. You know you want to tell it.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe