WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Highest Paying Magazine

Old 11-29-2007, 05:02 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Highest Paying Magazine

The Sun is a magazine that pays the highest rates to contributors that I have ever found on the web:

$300 to $1,500 for essays and interviews.

$300 to $1,000 for short stories.

$50 to $250 for poems.

Why not submit your best work and see if you can make some real money for a change? Writer guidelines are listed here.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:37 PM
mizfish (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Just saw your post, Starr. Thanks much for the info. I might give it a go.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a’ Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 448

Saw this, printed it out. If I ever find a spare moment, I might try sending something. Hell, they can only ignore me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Lin

Sorry, but that's not even close to the best paying mag out there.
Look at Playboy. And ther are many mags that pay much better than that, depending on the story and writer.

For that matter, the San Diego Reader, an urban weekly tabloid pays $2000-3000 for feature articles.

This is good pay, though. But you have to know what the Sun is... it's a pretty rarefied market.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:21 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
For that matter, the San Diego Reader, an urban weekly tabloid pays $2000-3000 for feature articles.
I was talking about fiction. And other top-paying mags like Playboy and The New Yorker are just as "rarified" as the Sun, if not moreso.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a’ Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 448

Thank you, Starr. I think the price paid very fair - well, I would like more, but then, most of us would just like to be paid - so it's pretty stupid quibbling about fees most won't get. Grrr. Insensible eejits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Lin

Yes, it's a good price for periodical fiction. Sorry to give the impression of quibbling. I thought I was dropping out some more high paying names.

And, if I may again take issue of clarify my remarks: I'm not sure what definition of "rarefied" Playboy fits, but The Sun is definitely what I mean by that: like NPR stories compared to something on 60 minutes or your local cable news. A refined sensibility within a narrow guage, is what I'm trying to say.

Playboy has a history of very wide variations of the type of fiction they publish. Unfortunately the current editor is much more impressed by big names than their previous attitude of breaking ground. But if you can get through that, you could pull down as much as $6000 for a story.

Atlantic and Harpers also pay in that rather posh neighborhood, so if you believe in swinging for the fence first, then going to the bunt to get on base as a fallback, give them a shot.

Hustler used to pay around $1500 for fiction and still does for articles, but they don't buy much fiction any more. Hustler, oddly enough, are great people to work with. Very professional and no-nonsense. They pay well and get good editors who know who they are and what they are doing working for a bozo like Flynt and don't jerk around and play coy like many editors. (The people at Harpers and Atlantic are impossible to work with in my experience...have driven me up the wall on numerous occasions: not worth it to work with them. For me anyway)
Old 10-09-2011, 11:30 PM
raj (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

But do they give preference to non US writers?
Originally Posted by starrwriter View Post
The Sun is a magazine that pays the highest rates to contributors that I have ever found on the web:

$300 to $1,500 for essays and interviews.

$300 to $1,000 for short stories.

$50 to $250 for poems.

Why not submit your best work and see if you can make some real money for a change? Writer guidelines are listed
Old 10-09-2011, 11:32 PM
raj (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

$2000-$3000 is huge. how do these magazines choose writers?
Sorry, but that's not even close to the best paying mag out there.
Look at Playboy. And ther are many mags that pay much better than that, depending on the story and writer.

This is good pay, though. But you have to know what the Sun is... it's a pretty rarefied market.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:52 AM
jimr (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 15

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. I've written an excellent story for Playboy Magazine, just as that rocket scientist Lin suggested on the WB forum. It's really a winner, just the type of story they use too. I don't see how I could go wrong with this! Now all I have to do is . . . Hm? That's funny, it says here that Playboy doesn't accept unsolicited submisions. I'm sure Lin knew it all along, too. Oh, he's certainly made me look like a fool, now hasn't he.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Ink (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 149

Originally Posted by raj View Post
But do they give preference to non US writers?
You're about, hmmm.... 4 years late with your input.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 AM
CandraH (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 452

Yup. And I always thought The Sun was one of those pesky UK tabloids that of course pays high money for bullshit stories because ya know, they're the ones that sell the most copies.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM
eraser (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 22

Those rates are relatively rare for fiction, but not for essays/articles. Many mags (especially national glossies) pay well. I've had quite a few gigs at $1.00-$1.25/word, for anywhere from 500 - 3,000 words. Even regionals will often pay 50-75 cents a word.

Those of you who may grow tired of flogging fiction without success, might consider writing non-fic. Less glamour for sure, but there's more writers out there actually making a living at it, than there are novelists who can say the same.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,445
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Oh, he's certainly made me look like a fool, now hasn't he.
You need help?

Check how old this thread is.

Meet the staff, see how a magazine is made, read author interviews, shout your lungs raw in the discussion area...
Old 10-10-2011, 01:01 PM
jimr (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 15

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
You need help?

Check how old this thread is.
Yes, I do need help looking like a fool, Mike. I see you've had plenty of practice here at WB. I'm thinking you might be the perfect mentor. What say, can you show me how to act like a complete and utter ass? I'm sure you won't have to work very hard at it. Just be yourself.

Your friend,
Jim
Old 10-10-2011, 02:12 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)
Still Clicking!

Thanks 1,304

^ Oh good. Another follower of the "I know you are, but what am I" school of repartee.

You're the one who aimed a pointless, un-funny, sarcastic post at someone who's actually written for Playboy -- never mind that in four years time any of the publications mentioned might have changed their submission policies. Not that it matters, as he was simply telling us what Playboy pays -- or more accurately, paid, in 2007. I'd say that's evidence you don't need any help looking like a fool.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 10-10-2011 at 02:33 PM..
Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 PM
jimr (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 15

Gosh oh golly, JoeMatt, we're all lucky to have psuedo-moderator like you to point out foibles, order threads shut down, and generally irritate the hell out of anyone within reading range. I checked out Playboy last month and knew the score I tossed it up in what was, albeit, a clever juvenile post. And I happen to like kicking the frog.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Lin

I am also responsible for making the Dubai tower look tall, the Grand Canyon look deep, and your mama look ugly.

It's a gift.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Non Serviam (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 432

I am also responsible
Damned lies.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Lin

Well... in THAT context....
Old 10-11-2011, 04:49 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)
Still Clicking!

Thanks 1,304

Gosh oh golly, JoeMatt, we're all lucky to have psuedo-moderator like you to point out foibles, order threads shut down, and generally irritate the hell out of anyone within reading range. I checked out Playboy last month and knew the score I tossed it up in what was, albeit, a clever juvenile post. And I happen to like kicking the frog.
Clever – really? Heh.

Moderators generally don’t make a practice of pointing out when members make fools of themselves. And I’ve never once suggested that a thread should be shut down. Whether or not I irritate the hell out of people is subjective – although that’s sometimes my goal.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 AM
CandraH (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 452

I am also responsible
Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
Damned lies.
Well... in THAT context....
Hey hey! Lin and Non, how the hell are you guys? You probably post more than some might like but not nearly enough for me. Come back!

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Whether or not I irritate the hell out of people is subjective – although that’s sometimes my goal.
I like that about you.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,445
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

a clever juvenile post.
Clever? No. Juvenile, sure. Grow up, litttle man.

Meet the staff, see how a magazine is made, read author interviews, shout your lungs raw in the discussion area...
Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Lin

Hi Candra! How goes it. Come by to apprentice to the fool-makers?
Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 AM
CandraH (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 452

I'm good! And hi back at ya, Mr R. I've missed ya.

Apprentice myself to fool-makers? Come on, you know me. I'm a fully paid up member of the guild.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Non Serviam (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 432

*waves*
Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 AM
CandraH (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 452

Haha. Hey! (waves back)

Old 10-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Lin

(stagger)
Old 10-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Redlorry (Offline)
Paint it RED!

Thanks 1,489
Send a message via MSN to Redlorry Send a message via Skype™ to Redlorry

*opens door of necormanced thread, turns light on... finds all in order, turns light off, shuts door quietly and leaves*
[CENTER][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=darkred][B]Be the kind of woman that when you wake up in the morning the devil says "Oh crap, she's up again."[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=#8b0000][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=darkred]
[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/CENTER][CENTER][B][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=#8b0000][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=darkred]
[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
Old 10-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Lin

So you're cool with the cucumber mush and green cottage cheese?

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing