WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Towel Day

Old 03-01-2006, 04:36 AM
Morogo (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Send a message via MSN to Morogo Send a message via Yahoo to Morogo Send a message via Skype™ to Morogo
Towel Day

Calling all Hitchhickers.

The 25th of May is Towel Day. Don't forget your towel!

EDIT:// Sorry, I was kicked off the computor before I could add more; well basically it takes place every year on the 25th of May, and carry your towel around as a sign of praticipation and mourning for that great hoopy frood - Douglas Adams. Why a towel well allow me to quote for the poor deprived people who have never read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical
value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
This is why, but where? You may be asking well we take our towels everywhere! In true Hitchhiker style!

I know I've already started>>

To find out more check out this website> http://www.towelday.kojv.net/

And so, on that Bombshell there's only one more thing to say -

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish.

Last edited by Morogo; 03-01-2006 at 01:07 PM..
Old 03-01-2006, 04:52 AM
solecistic (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Some more information for those of us that aren't initiated in the ways of Douglas Adams (and I am, but some are not!) would be awesome!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Lord Vashall (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Have you ever tried being a Towel Shinobi? I have
It's lots of fun.
"It worked for them and they had to save hundreds of lives, we only have to save one" "Yes but THAT was different, The Towering Inferno was a big building that caught fire, you can't apply the same criteria to a priest trapped on an exploding milk float!"

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe