WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

Oh Woe is Me

Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 PM
SCM (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Default Oh Woe is Me

I’m sort of ashamed of myself in all honesty. As much as I hate hearing about the frivolous bickering of the over privileged brats in today’s society I find myself doing just that. Yet do not take this as a cliché ‘woe is me’ sort of piece. Take it as my view on our stunted evolution of society. I find it hilarious that in my eighteen years of existence, a few of those years in which I was an infant in capable of a complex though, I have learned more than many people who have died. With that said I have also learned less.
First I find it funny that I am writing this, as with most inspiration, with a broken heart. With the last word in that final sentence you might jump to the conclusion that I am some gay kid who needs to learn to control his emotions. Fear not, my emotions are in check and you will not see me physically weeping. Instead I laugh. I laugh at how childish out society is. We presume that the most masculine thing one can do is to wear fancy clothes, get a lot of cash, act cocky, hit the gym, tan, and then do laundry. Yet I find this to be quiet primitive.
People watch the television shows where they amuse themselves over the skeleton girls with paint on their face, the orange midgets with drinking problems and a bad taste in hair styles, and the overly ‘masculine men’. They then go about living their lives based off of these idols. There are those who claim they only watch it for the amusement, then later find themselves quoting and acting just like. We watch these idols to learn how one should act in society, which is stunting our growth.
In my eighteen years I have experienced it all. I’ve been so drunk where I cannot remember my actions, I have been so high I thought I was in some sort of inception, and I have lost my virginity to a girl I felt nothing for. These actions woke me up and made me realize just how stupid I had been. It’s funny on how we pride ourselves on these topics when they lead to nothing more than destructive life choices. But I digress
So back to where I was, someone presuming I am gay for saying I have a broken heart. I find it hilarious that I, who am exposing my weaknesses, get critiqued by those who hide in there egotistical shells like frightened turtles. Also, so what if I was gay? My choice in a sexual partner is merely my choice and it humors me how what I choose is suppose to be some insult to me.
Erasmus, a man who was deemed mad in the Early Modern century, wrote a brilliant piece called Praises of Folly. In this piece he expertly wove an essay of how flawed our concepts are. I suggest this read, I apologize for the lack of pictures and catch lines, it is a great piece. While I doubt this essay served much purpose to your interest I just felt like ranting. Maybe someone will get something out of my poorly constructed writing.

-SCM

Old 02-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Hilee Coco (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 256

You still have a lot to learn.
But as a fellow adolescent, I can sympathize.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 870

There are no priviledged brats in todays society. There are only over indulgent parents too lazy to parent their children. Give them stuff to keep them amused, entertained and out of their hair. Give them every thing under the sun and on the shelf and they still bitch that their parents don't understand them. Really? What's to understand? You have some earth shattering input you need to divulge? Out of pimple cream? Need gas money? Come on, what is it? Tell mommy and daddy you sniveling little twerp. We love you.

So, you think you might be gay? Not sure yet? Maybe another viewing of Brokeback Mountain would answer the question? Go ahead. Plug it in and pretend your a cowboy. That's what happens when you get so drunk you don't remember what happened the night before and you wake up on your doorstep wearing someone elses socks. Duh! You will be getting a phone call.

Anyhow, it was an interesting read and I suggest you keep a copy of it for future reference. Take it out every ten years and read and put it back in the vault. You will be amazed and amused. I was. What channel had the orange midget?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Redlorry

Were'nt orange midgets from the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka film?

I'm in my mid-thirties. I can remember feeling the way you've talked bout. As Gaines said, reread this piece in ten years, twenty years. I think you will cringe.

Your discoveries are normal, your desire to be different is common. It's just life.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:42 AM
Ethan Blake (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 347
Send a message via AIM to Ethan Blake Send a message via Skype™ to Ethan Blake

4. Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.
Regards
D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'THERE MAY BE TROUBLE AHEAD!'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 171

Originally Posted by Hilee Coco View Post
You still have a lot to learn.
But as a fellow adolescent, I can sympathize.

Seems to me that he is much smarter than the average eighteen-year-old.

His eyes are open. He is sensitive. He is aware of his surroundings--especially all the bullshit hurled at him from a TV screen. He displays common sense and common courtesy.

Smc--keep in mind that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Most of the over-privileged brats you mention are probably just like their parents. From the cradle, they are sent forth to conquer, regardless of whatever is in there way. Second-hand nonsense (crap handed down from parent to child) is much more toxic than second-hand smoke. While second-hand smoke might kill an individual, second-hand nonsense will wipe out a generation.

Those you mention lack in so many areas; you don't. Don't let their lack become your problem. Find a mate suitable for you when the time is right and enjoy yourself. Ignore the Zombies--pretend that they aren't there. Don't even think about them.

I do believe you're a step ahead of your generation, the way these guys were ahead of theirs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LOgMWbDGPA

Last edited by Cityboy; 02-23-2011 at 07:30 AM..
Old 02-25-2011, 07:36 PM
SCM (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
There are no priviledged brats in todays society. There are only over indulgent parents too lazy to parent their children. Give them stuff to keep them amused, entertained and out of their hair. Give them every thing under the sun and on the shelf and they still bitch that their parents don't understand them. Really? What's to understand? You have some earth shattering input you need to divulge? Out of pimple cream? Need gas money? Come on, what is it? Tell mommy and daddy you sniveling little twerp. We love you.

So, you think you might be gay? Not sure yet? Maybe another viewing of Brokeback Mountain would answer the question? Go ahead. Plug it in and pretend your a cowboy. That's what happens when you get so drunk you don't remember what happened the night before and you wake up on your doorstep wearing someone elses socks. Duh! You will be getting a phone call.

Anyhow, it was an interesting read and I suggest you keep a copy of it for future reference. Take it out every ten years and read and put it back in the vault. You will be amazed and amused. I was. What channel had the orange midget?
Haha, for the record I am heterosexual. As for what channel? It was MTV's The Jersey Shore. I wrote this a year ago and posted as a means to just...well, post. I have learned a lot and continue to look at things with an open mind. As Horatio said, not in his exact words, I lift my head to see a new point of view. Thank you for your input.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Hilee Coco (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 256

I kind of love this but I have no idea what you're talking about.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing