WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Myers' Random Thoughts and General B.S. Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 04:16 AM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 354

The guy with the rifle didn't stop it.

The shooter was leaving the scene when he was confronted with the guy with the rifle.

What you need to do is train and arm the choir. They're probably going to have the best vantage point to take out a shooter.

Once again, the answer is MORE guns.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:27 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 354

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post
I watched Louise Theroux doing his usual tour of crazy American subculture recently. One scene finds him in a jail questioning one of the inmates as to why he was there, how long he had... standard questions.

This guy was literally jumping up and down gleefully chanting that he'd taken out 8 or 9 dudes with a 'chopper', stating that 'that's what we do out here' or something to that effect. And everyone on the block seemed to be similarly excited about it.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x65sedh

One thing's for sure... the government can't fix that. What can the government do? -- lock you up with a bunch of other crazy people. It's a mentality. I have no idea how you change that kind of mentality, but it is up to people and communities almost solely.

What can people do?

Well if kids are growing up with no positive role models, mum's an alcoholic, dad's in jail, sister's a prostitute...

For those guys in jail the above was a pretty common back story. It's probably cliched to even mention this stuff but to me it's like what do you expect? It's so predictable that someone coming out of that kind of childhood experience is more likely to gravitate towards violence and crime.

I'd agree there's not much that instils faith in some major change. But I think this at least illustrates who really holds the cards.
I've seen that video. Pretty depressing. For a couple of years I volunteered at this thing called 'drug court" -- where people are court ordered into rehab along with probation and other penalties instead of jail. So yeah, saw it all the time -- the products of the same environments, no role models, parents on drugs and the next doomed generation the que. A very small percentage looked like they might turn things around -- but otherwise, it all seemed utterly futile. Sounds bad -- but I really couldn't deal with it.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:38 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Originally Posted by Myers View Post

The shooter was leaving the scene when he was confronted with the guy with the rifle.

What you need to do is train and arm the choir. They're probably going to have the best vantage point to take out a shooter.

The problem with arming the choir is that a percentage of them will be depressed at some point (suicidal) or negligent with their guns (kids using them to accidentally shoot themselves, friends, or siblings) and the net outcome will be the same or worse than if we just let the mass shooters take their toll.

The Naziís exterminated the mentally ill (among others). Maybe thatís the solution.

Or we could.... nah, nevermind. That wonít work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Originally Posted by Myers View Post

We don't know if the guy was leaving. He was still willing to do more harm. He and the plumber exchanged fire - meaning the church shooter was willing to shoot more.

The guy with the rifle stopped the shooter from returning to the sanctuary or having further actions against others.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

for some reason I can't capture brianpatrick with the quote function today.

If they eliminated the mentally ill, Arizona would be short on plumbers

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
for some reason I can't capture brianpatrick with the quote function today.

If they eliminated the mentally ill, Arizona would be short on plumbers

Every state is already short on plumbers and trades people. A few less would raise the prices I can charge even higher.

Hmm. You canít quote me, and I canít read anybodyís stories (except the last few paragraphs). Seems to be some glitch between Tapatalk and the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 354

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
We don't know if the guy was leaving. He was still willing to do more harm. He and the plumber exchanged fire - meaning the church shooter was willing to shoot more.

The guy with the rifle stopped the shooter from returning to the sanctuary or having further actions against others.
Anything is possible. Doesn't really fit the pattern -- but whatever.

Anyway, that's why I said you need to arm the choir. Or maybe just a few members -- or the ushers should be armed and stationed strategically around the sanctuary.

Or since he has the best vantage point, put the preacher in a rotating pulpit with bulletproof glass cage and gun ports.

Of course, not EVERYONE needs a gun.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table