WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself; we're all writers here, nothing to hide!

Hello everybody!

Old 07-20-2006, 01:47 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default Hello everybody! (Again!)

Hi there,

I've just stumbled across this website and decided it's a place I want to set up camp.

My name's James, I'm 30 and from England, living near London. I'm a complete amateur at this writing lark, but am having a crack at writing a "humourous" novel. (Bit daunting, as I've never written more than 1000 words at once before. But I'm getting there, slowly but surely).

I've uploaded the first chapter here http://www.writersbeat.com/two-knigh...4631#post44631. But I have been told it's a bit large, so I might break it up into two separate threads. In the meantime, please feel free to read as much or as little of it as you like, and still comment.

If you'd like me to read your work and give you my crummy attempt at feedback, then I'm most interested in reading fantasy, comedy, sci-fi, action and maybe a bit of horror. (But, I'll be reading random things anyway, just as soon as they let me out of work!).

Bad language doesn't bother me, and neither do adult situations. Although my own writing will only ever contain fairly mild and very infrequent swearing.

So, hello and goodbye for now,
James

Chapter 1 - Part 1
Chapter 1 - Part 2

Ralph, a down-on-his-luck son of a merchant meets Bernard, a street thug and former archer in the English army. A chance encounter with the King leads Bernard to believe that they are to be knighted, if only they can get the King's attention again.

Chapter 2

In southern England, a man called Lord Burnaby writes a suspicious letter to an unknown associate. The pair are clearly up to no good.

Chapter 3

In an undisclosed location, a man called Lord Grey is assembling an army of mercenaries, and is about to have them embark for France for some live 'training', carving up peasant villages in the south of the country. We meet his sidekicks, Viper the creepy assassin and Seer, a pagan who divines the 'future' from the innards of various animals.

Chapter 4 - Part 1
Chapter 4 - Part 2

Ralph and Bernard get to know each other over a few beers. Bernard discusses a plan for getting into the castle for an audience with the King, convinced still that the pair are to be knighted. Ralph talks a little about his past, telling us why he is now destitute and on the run.

Chapter 5 - Part 1
Chapter 5 - Part 2

Ralph and Bernard retrieve Ralph's horse, after some trouble with an innkeeper, then they are victorious in a showdown with the moneylender who has been haunting Ralph's every step.

Last edited by Jimbo; 03-05-2008 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: Edited due to return to forum after being AWOL for ages
Old 07-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Brandonsb (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Brandonsb

welcome to writers beat, James. I hope you enjoy it here.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Oasis Writer (Offline)
A Crimson Evanescence
Loyal Member

Thanks 20

Welcome James Nice to have ya here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me or any other staff member, we're all fairly friendly. Welcome and enjoy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Oh, only "fairly friendly", eh?

Right, that's it, I'm off!

Old 07-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Oasis Writer (Offline)
A Crimson Evanescence
Loyal Member

Thanks 20

Well, we've got some interesting staff Pirates, Ninjas, Mafia, and probably a lot more types (Samurai, Astronauts, etc.). Lot's of weird people, but that's why we love it here

Hope you do too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:06 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

Jimbo, some people are under the false impression i'm a bitch.. but I'm nice.. if you don't make me have to work harder lol..

hope you like it here..

my tips were good no?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Your tips were indeed good.

How does one moderate a pirate? Surely you would actually be out to encourage ever greater debauchery, rather than saying "Avast there me hearties! Ye be doin' too much plunderin' and lootin', ye scurvy knaves!"
Old 07-20-2006, 12:01 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

oh har har.. I'm a captain sweetie.. law and order are mine to command as I wish. Well when the ninja's not around.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

Astronaut, OW? Who might that be?

Hi James! Glad to see you following advice . Really, though, welcome!

|
|
|
Old 07-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

A welcome so warm you posted it twice Icarus?
Old 07-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

Do you dare complain??

|
|
|
Old 07-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

The evidence is gone now anyway. Umm, perhaps I was halucinating?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:10 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

sorry...
Old 07-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Hehehe.

I knew registering here was going to be a good move.

Night, night chaps and chapettes.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:44 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

dude everything about this place is good, except leaving it, then you'll be eaten by a giant moth.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

Ewww. I hate moths.

Chapettes? That's a new one.

|
|
|
Old 07-20-2006, 06:23 PM
maylet (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 4
Send a message via MSN to maylet

hi and welcome, i hope you have fun here with us

Old 07-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Perfect_Paradox (Offline)
Better than Darth.
Loyal Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Perfect_Paradox

I want to be the Astronaut!!!
no.. wait.. I'm the secret agent. mwahahaha.

ohhhh yes, welcome welcome Jimbo. I can tell you'll fit right in here
Old 07-21-2006, 02:41 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Hello maylet and Perfect_Paradox, it's nice to be here, even if many of you are clearly bonkers
Old 07-21-2006, 08:00 AM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

Hi Jimbo. Welcome to Writer's Beat. We have over 700 market and contest listings. We have professional and amateur critiquers. We have things for writers of every level. Welcome to Writer's Best....oops Writer's Beat.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Joewood (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to Joewood Send a message via Yahoo to Joewood

Hi there Jimbo,
have just started reading your Two Knights Abroad
So I thought I'd pop by and say hello to the man making me chuckle
Oh, and Welcome to WB

Perceptions of Guilt

|
|
|
Old 07-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Hi JHarrison, that's quite an impressive array of resources. Thanks for the welcome.

Hello Joewood, jolly glad you're enjoying it and thanks for letting me know. If it makes just one person smile, even for a moment, then it was worth writing.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Just testing to see if my sig will show up...

Edit: Woo! Victory is mine! Free sausage rolls for one and all!

Edit Two: What's Rep Power, and how did I score a point?

Last edited by Jimbo; 07-21-2006 at 05:30 PM..
Old 07-22-2006, 05:44 AM
Brittany (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 2

Hey.Welcome to Writer's Beat!

" Where did the last doughnut go!"
Old 07-22-2006, 07:48 AM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to riverstone

Now, Jay, get it right, it's Welcome to Writer's Beast where we promise to chew ya' up an' spit ya' out! Har, har, har!

Well - not so true - but we'll make a tasty morsel of your writing and enjoy every bite.

Welcome Jimbo!
Kit
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Riverstones let the water flow around them.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

Rep power works something like this:

Actually, I think you used it already when you read my conversation piece. Er, that was you, right? Did you click on the +/- sign next to the post and type "Still chuckling to myself"? Well, that added to my reputation, or rep power. Hint - if you sign the message, there will be no confusion as to the source.

So, if you go to the User CP link at the top of the page, you can see the five most recent times people have added to your rep and in which thread they did so.

I hope that made some inkling of sense.... (four dots )

I should like to collect my sausage roll now.

|
|
|
Old 07-22-2006, 08:17 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

It was Joewood Iccky.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Joewood (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0

And I read it again, just cause it put a smile on my face

Perceptions of Guilt

|
|
|
Old 07-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

Yes, I just realized that. Sorry, Joe! It's just that I got a couple points for that in just a couple days and didn't keep it straight as to who did what when.

|
|
|
Old 07-22-2006, 09:12 AM
Joewood (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0

you're forgiven well you made me

Perceptions of Guilt

|
|
|

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions