WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction

Fiction Novel excerpts, short stories, etc.

A Turnpike Worth Dying For

Old 12-21-2012, 12:01 PM
PaintedRed (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 11
Default A Turnpike Worth Dying For

There are agonies, and then there are agonies.

Road homes with caves where walls once stood canít shelter him for much longer. Canít burn under the chilling death-winds, canít stand on the side of the spider-cracked road and remain intact; useless pieces of trash. Nothing to do but move on.

Itís been this way for hours, days. With a tongue stuck to the roof of his mouth with thirst, his ears have forgotten the subtle clicks and shifts of conversation. Civilizationís being hammering out of him by the storm above and the fire within.

Heís walked this road for a week and two days. Heíll walk it Ďround again, a thousand times over if he has to. Thereís no stopping the desire. Desire is now a half-remembered luxury in this sham of a world.

The rags of his coat arrest his mechanical pace for a moment, chills the gristle beneath, the iron within too brittle to bend. Dead elms creak in the silence, the time it takes him to drop, catch his breath, wheeze. Running highs have erased far more than old memories of highways in the times before these End Times. They've erased everything but the pavement, the bones, and the winter crushing the road.

A sign creaks. The topís gone. Probably a shield for a barbarian with skins across his back and flesh between his teeth. Branches dance across the weeds and the cracks in the road, erasing the testaments scrawled out with hungry fingers upon the tar-infused grit by the roadside.

Heís been out of the burning city long enough to know not to look into those ditches, to read those messages. Theyíll anchor his guilt like so many things have on this cracked facade of a former superhighway.

Shoes scuff flaking yellow paint as the pass sharpens into view.

Earthworks unbroken and deep as wartime trenches drop away to either side. The eerie hillside, the mound of a thousand rumours and gut feelings is to his back now, blotting any sunlight from cracking through the fragmented passing storm and reaching him.

Concrete sweeps to his left, eight hundred meters or more of banked clockwise road filled with artifacts. Too many winters had passed to make the wreckage of yesteryear a testament to the dustpan of tomorrow. They were things of power from an age half-remembered by distant recollections of youth.

The beaten path disappears behind and around him. The smell, too; there were more than just faint etchings lying in those open roadside ditches. Crows had followed him from the city, but theyíd stayed where meat replenished itself at an alarming rate. In a sense, they were flesh farmers.

The green sedan halfway down could have been the spawn of thirst-fever; a hunger dream ripped from his childhood. Rounded doors, rust, intact windows and lines of rust round the mud-flaps; a weathered version of the car his father used to drive. Before a mob in the throes of starvation had torn him and his car apart while heíd watched.

Still, his torn feet scraped past the shell of horrors. A sunburned hand clawed at his belt, tugged eighteen inches of dull polished wood and the faded red blade of a firemanís axe. The storm was breaking above, but the cathedral shadows waiting at the turnpikeís bottom loomed, gothic shadows only deepening with every step. The city and the haunting mound of dead forests and rocky glades are far behind him. Death still lurked.

Debris lined the roadside. His feet picked out a quiet path without thought. No way to tell if the debris were markers, laid to rest by renders seeking a meal.

Boot soles scraped the tunnelís bottom. The dust of ages and of events years old trickled down his neck, caked his hair, and sent terrors into every corner of the room.

He didnít flinch. Death and drudgery existed in cooking, cleaning, sweeping, rutting, even dreaming. Survivors quickly learned that their earned title is an oxymoron, for their deaths become a utility for the group to use, like any tool or scrap of meat off the bone. There was nothing in the corners that could terrify him. All that walked or crawled the city streets, too.

Buttresses of steel latticed themselves in xís above him, over the muddy gorge and the rapids to his left. The riverís teeth were filed to points by the current, still flecked with white paint and old stains.

No matter the dead leaves at his feet, the dust on the roof, or the tunnelís end. Such a bridge was a comfort to him in a way that splintered crosses or loverís touches had never been. Walking this way, along a disturbed and turbulent landscape hadnít been an ordeal; it had been a urge.

For a whole day along that lonely highway, heíd had the mad fear that the hillside with its history and its curse might have dragged him down here.

Such places have power.

Heíd known that even before the disasters and the hunger. How else could they thrive when all else in sight is coming apart and sinking back into the earth and dust and memory?

He stops halfway through. Rolls his shoulders, stares down the wooded stream leading deeper into the countryside and slips into the comfort of old memory.

There had been fishermen along the river once, spread out along the bank where heíd stood; older men, the brash youth and silent slim men from the near towns and the far. Stereos had clashed with the roar of the stream, a roar he would only ever hear again when a sewer system collapsed in on itself during a citywide blaze. The result flooded the remains of a subway line.

Flies nipped his face.

His parents and sister had always let themselves unwind from the road on a park bench under an aged maple tree by the bridgeís far end, where the turnpike met the west road and continued onward. Heíd long since forgotten the exact towns it had passed.

Sweat creases his collar. He relents, thrusting himself into the now and hefting his axe.

Those days had been his to waste.

If anyone had known in those days of the end to come, theyíd kept it well hidden. Nobody, not even his parents had let slip a thing, had told him to stop running along the gravel inclines and into the adventure of the gully.

It never occurs to him they didnít know of the devastation to come. Who couldn't?

Rocks banged at tunnelís end, where the incline rose out of view to the on ramp.

Animals. Men with twisted knives ground from sign edges and pipes. Beasts, addicts who pleaded necessity for the travelers they snatched and killed, and feasted upon.

He should have smelled their campfires, the reek of their hides. But memory had become vice itself, and he hadnít escaped. He didnít blame himself. ItĎs a warm glow that spread over his face and heavy arms when he wondered that his musings might be his last.

Theyíd been happy.

The first was using a corner of the chipped concrete walls as cover. Gaunt arms heaved a section of black pipe over a greasy face twisted in permanent scowl. All opponents were simple impressions in combatís rush. This he knew from living in the mean, mean city.

The lunge causes him to tense, step into the lunge and snap his handle into starved guts. Shocked fingers let the pipe clatter to the dirt. He took a moment, brought the axe up and snapped the savageís back like a year-old sapling. The effort of killing produces a grunt from his parched lips, but no more. Itís a familiarity.

No time to wonder.

Graffiti and rotting signs blur as he runs.

Dead weight smashes his shoulder. Another savage. The sharpened stake of an old signpost is through his collarbone and out the other side, though thereís no pain. Not yet.

Momentum carries his bowed shoulder into a gut, up. An overhead swing bites into a collarbone. Lobs off a limb. His knee snaps into a feral face. He keeps running.

Heís through the tunnel and up into the gloom of the day. Howls chase him up the incline. Drumming and screaming carry on the winds for miles here.

The thought dies in an explosion from below. A carís window splinters. Sulphur chokes his already choking throat.

Thereís nowhere to make a proper stand on the turnpike that carried him to the cottage, and beauty, and the hum and crash of the oceanís waves.

The bridge will have to do.

Running from this place would be blasphemy. His lungs and his heart would give out before Highway 25 to the city could be read. There was a grill and a stew-pot waiting in either direction.

No point in running back to the city, even if heís strong enough. If a bundle of blankets and a coat of grit across a burned-out basement floor could be called home, heís more than happy to remain a vagrant.

Thereís fear now. A fear of rending he hasnít felt since last monthís raid. Or was it last years? Danger is constant as the night is long, and as hunger grips the gut.

He looks up as his boots tap the bridgeís walkway, the guardrail with broken supports every three paces.

No way to tear free of this place.

Instinctively, his gaze rises to that hilltop. Holds in place for a moment. In this age of burned steel and grubby faces, a glade, a rock, an underground stream and a peaceful fragment of remembrance is natureís art. Humans canít be trusted with it any longer.

Men simply bred, rutted, swore, fought, died. Only the seasons before, the memory of home and the city nights with their bright lights and comforts kept his every day one thread removed from Hell.

Then it drops to the bridge beneath his feet. A thirty-second ritual drive every summer, thirty minutes if someone needed a bathroom break, but thatís more than enough to die on it and across it.

The axe rises in his trembling grip as the barks of renders more hound than man lope to meet him.

Five savages lean into a sprint. A long jump would save him the pain.

It would bring the cold dark silence ever closer. Heís too human to resent pain in his final moments.

But he will break a taboo.

He leans over, peers into the drainage ditch of the roadway. There are no bones, but there are names. Names scratched with axes and knives, most outlined in blood and the final moments of a human being.

There would be a legacy.

There was, in fact, a reason behind this journey. Thereís only mud and grue and hunger in these later times, his later years spent as a troglodyte amidst the cities of Old. Heís made this pilgrimage in the hopes of adding more than a placeholder to his memory before his death.

Even if the placeholders are obliterated in a moment.

He nods, accepts. Adds his mark, steps back and exhales as the mob howls a kill-knell and makes contact.

The axe rises, swings into a shoulder, through a torso. The stakes and sticks they carry are piercing his shoulders, scratching his face, but thereís a roar and a spirit and defiance to his death. Two of them fly to pieces under his hefty blows, two more for the limitless tally of men claimed by the End Times.

The wanderer, far from a leaky basement, finds himself at home.

Finds himself vanished in the whistling ring of a pipe swinging.

One of my "Overlap Fiction" pieces. I gave it a critical eye only today, and figured that it wasn't the sort of piece I could sell to a magazine. Not much luck in that department at the moment.

The prose's a bit odd; this was probably the forth or fifth piece I've ever finished in a notebook before typing it out. It's set in the "Pit Stop 169" universe. I though a post-apoc piece would be appropriate for the supposed 'End of the World.'

As always, tell me what you think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:24 PM
AbdulaOblongata (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 101

Red,
And they say commuting these days is Hell...
As usual, your character's introspective analysis is in-depth and furtive. As I read this I got to wondering how any man could live that long with such constant intensity in his day to day ruminations.

I fancy myself a deep thinker but I think that I too would welcome the end if I was mentally tormented with such frequency.
Hmmm, now that I think about it...

BTW:
Thanks for providing the mental note regarding that sign blade shield reference, I'm going to have to use that idea in my next PoAp venture.

Intense and engaging as always, I look forward to your next.
Abdula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Powered by #WriterNation
The Following User Says Thank You to AbdulaOblongata For This Useful Post:
PaintedRed (12-25-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 AM
PaintedRed (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 11

Thanks so much AbdulaOblongata! Welcome as always! Happy holidays.

As for the sign post thing-y- I stole that from a GURPS (General Universal Role-Pllaying System- yes, I'm a massive geek) book, which talked about improvised armour. Feel free to steal it!

I'm afraid I haven't been on the Fiction section as much as I'd like to be- will have to change this after Boxing Day's through.

Thanks for all this!

-Red
Old 12-25-2012, 11:10 PM
AbdulaOblongata (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 101

Red,
It's always a pleasure seeing your name on the roster, I'll be keeping my eyes open.
Gotta love them GURP-as!

I wanted to ask you, do you keep a fiction blog? If so, can you shoot me a PM with a link? I'd like to check it out.

As far as Boxing Day...
"Keep your guard up!"

Corny, I know...
Abdula