WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself; we're all writers here, nothing to hide!

Good Morning!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Danster (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Good Morning!

Hi,

My name is Dan I am from Somerset in the UK (that's South West England for Y'all) about 2 hours journey from London.

I am working in IT at the moment... but am hoping that I can re-start my writing aspirations.

I have two novels part complete. My first one (sci-fi) is probably almost there but needs a bit of shuffling around and an ending. My second (contempory) is about 1/3 of the way through and is stalled while I try and sort out the first one!

A friend recommended this site and so I thought I'd come and maybe post some stuff and maybe critique some stuff and see how we go.

That's me for now.

Cheers
Dan

Old 02-13-2008, 12:48 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Bout bloody time Dan.

Dan's the bloke who inspired me to start writing. So direct your scorn at him.

One of the staff members will pop up soon and direct you to read the FAQ to get the rules and guidelines. So, you know, read the FAQ.

Laters.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:57 AM
Danster (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Dan's the bloke who inspired me to start writing. So direct your scorn at him.
Did I really.... :O

Well, glad I did then otherwise where would Ralph and Bernard be now?

Old 02-13-2008, 12:59 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Originally Posted by Danster View Post
Did I really.... :O

Well, glad I did then otherwise where would Ralph and Bernard be now?

Course you did. You know how it went. "I'm writing a book". "What? Cool. If you can do that, then bloody so can I!"

And off I went.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:32 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

A friend of yours, Jimbo? Well, then, we shall expect great things!

So here's the official please read the rules and guidelines blah-de-blah, PM a member of staff if you have any questions....

Now get out there and get involved! Oh, and don't forget to have fun.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Danster (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Queen of Wands View Post
A friend of yours, Jimbo? Well, then, we shall expect great things!
Oh great now I have to try and live up to something!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:42 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Oh great now I have to try and live up to something!

I just presumed QoW was joking....
Old 02-13-2008, 03:47 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Oh, you guys are going to be great on the forums. I can't wait to read your crits of each other's work. Just remember, though, no thread hijacking - unless I'm involved, that is.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:58 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Oh, you guys are going to be great on the forums. I can't wait to read your crits of each other's work. Just remember, though, no thread hijacking - unless I'm involved, that is.
Oh crumbs, now we've both got something to live up to!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

Brits!!!

*swoons*

I'm ok. Great to have some more British blood among the americans.

Can't wait to see what you bring to the table.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:08 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Originally Posted by kal View Post
Brits!!!

*swoons*

I'm ok. Great to have some more British blood among the americans.

Can't wait to see what you bring to the table.
I say Danster dear boy, our odour precedes us.

Haha, Kal, is it the accent? Cos, as you are no doubt aware we aren't all Hugh Grant.

I'm more like Dick Van Dyke's awful attempt at Cockney in Mary Poppins "Cor blimey, Mary Poppins!", and Danster is a yokel, country-bumpkin type. He's all "ooo arrr, that thar be a cow, that do be."

How either of us are able to string together a meaningful sentence is a thing of infinite wonder. (Much like electricity and large towns are to Danster).

Edit: Oh ok, perhaps I exaggerate somewhat.

Last edited by Jimbo; 02-13-2008 at 05:12 AM..
Old 02-13-2008, 05:12 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

Haha. I'm scouse. It's a wonder I can even read!
Old 02-13-2008, 05:16 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Doh! There's me presuming you're an American. I apologise. Erm, not that it's an offence to be an American of course...erm...

Scouse is good, me dad's from near there and I get the odd turn of phrase here and there from him. Like saying 'me dad'.

Ok, QoW said no thread hijacking, but here I am taking my own pal's intro thread all the way to Mexico, baby!
Old 02-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

Quite the party in here.

Greetings, Danster!

Jimbo will no doubt tell you that I am a very nice bloke who gives boring critiques. Let me assure you, only half of that statement is true.

|
|
|
Old 02-13-2008, 05:51 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

yeah, his crits are first class entertainment :P
Old 02-13-2008, 05:53 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Quite the party in here.

Greetings, Danster!

Jimbo will no doubt tell you that I am a very nice bloke who gives boring critiques. Let me assure you, only half of that statement is true.
Oh? Which half?

Let me assure you, none of that statement is true.*

* to the best of my knowledge.**

** Icarus rocks.

Edit: I hate the internet. I accuse one person of being an American, then assume someone else is a guy. I'm so terrible, that even though I know you Dan, I can only presume you are actually an a-sexual amoeba from the planet Futon.

Last edited by Jimbo; 02-13-2008 at 05:55 AM..
Old 02-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Joewood (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to Joewood Send a message via Yahoo to Joewood

Hi Dan,

I'm grateful to you for encouraging Jim, I loved Bernie and Ralph 18 months ago... Obviously, still do...

Look forward to reading your scribbling

Perceptions of Guilt

|
|
|
Old 02-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Danster (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Thanks everybody. I'll post the first chapter of my book as soon as I can get it into a state I feel is almost half ready.

In the meantime I think I might enter the Love gone Wrong comp.

Cheers
Dan
Old 02-14-2008, 02:35 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

I'm more like Dick Van Dyke's awful attempt at Cockney in Mary Poppins "Cor blimey, Mary Poppins!", and Danster is a yokel, country-bumpkin type. He's all "ooo arrr, that thar be a cow, that do be."
Haha! Dick van Dyke and Bert Fry (any Archers fans/loathers out there?). What a combo! I hadn't noticed Danster was from Somerset, where the cider apples grow. Lovely part of the country that (for obvious reasons).

Doh! There's me presuming you're an American. I apologise. Erm, not that it's an offence to be an American of course...erm...
Glad to hear it, old bean, since I had the great misfortune to be born on the wrong side of the pond. I spent years longing to return to my ancestral lands, but I finally made it and haven't looked back once in eighteen years.

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Ok, QoW said no thread hijacking, but here I am taking my own pal's intro thread all the way to Mexico, baby!
Mexico? Maybe we could stop off for some enchiladas and guacamole. Ole!

Oh? Which half?

Let me assure you, none of that statement is true.*

* to the best of my knowledge.**

** Icarus rocks.

Edit: I hate the internet. I accuse one person of being an American, then assume someone else is a guy. I'm so terrible, that even though I know you Dan, I can only presume you are actually an a-sexual amoeba from the planet Futon.
Be nice to Iccy, she's the Duchess of Discipline and wields a mighty whip.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

I'm not trying to get on Icarus' bad side. I must just like the taste of my own feet, they're in my gob so often!

Icarus and Joewood, for that matter, have between them been, for me, the greatest morale booster that a writer lacking confidence could ask for.

Besides, I doubt Icarus has a 'bad' side. Sure, maybe an angry side, in a similar way that most people (but not all) aren't entirely one-sided. But a bad side? Naaaah.

And this thread is now totally under my control. Sorry Dan, but don't worry, I think I'm going to be served up a healthy portion of forum discipline any moment.

In the meantime: "Arriba!"
Old 02-14-2008, 03:29 AM
Danster (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Ah Somerset is my home now but I am an original Bristolian (with a bit of Scottish burried deep - it actually only shows when I haven't shaved for a while and ginger starts to poke through....!)

We moved to Somerset 18 months ago to get out of a rather unpleasant area of Bristol and into a much nicer area of the country. Now, instead of being surrounded by council houses we are surrounded by fields... ahhhhh! And the first thing I hear in the morning tends to be birds twittering and cows (lowing? looeing...?) mooing. Which is nice.

Anyway, tssk to Jim for derealing my intro thread! You'd better make up for it by posting the next part of your story.

And thanks everyone, I feel very welcome.

Cheers
Dan
Old 02-14-2008, 05:17 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

I'm not trying to get on Icarus' bad side. I must just like the taste of my own feet, they're in my gob so often!

Icarus and Joewood, for that matter, have between them been, for me, the greatest morale booster that a writer lacking confidence could ask for.

Besides, I doubt Icarus has a 'bad' side. Sure, maybe an angry side, in a similar way that most people (but not all) aren't entirely one-sided. But a bad side? Naaaah.
Who said Iccy was bad? enquired the evil queen. Mwahhahah

Joelle is a real sweetie, though, definitely agree with you there.

Ah Somerset is my home now but I am an original Bristolian (with a bit of Scottish burried deep - it actually only shows when I haven't shaved for a while and ginger starts to poke through....!)

We moved to Somerset 18 months ago to get out of a rather unpleasant area of Bristol and into a much nicer area of the country. Now, instead of being surrounded by council houses we are surrounded by fields... ahhhhh! And the first thing I hear in the morning tends to be birds twittering and cows (lowing? looeing...?) mooing. Which is nice.
Bristol? My sister-in-law used to live there, but moved up to a samll village in Cambs a-year-and-a-half ago. Round about the time we moved from London to North Herts actually. Seems a lot of people are moving out of the larger towns and cities in search of a quieter life. Anyone for a little Bob Marley? (Exodus...)

Anyway, glad you're here. We need more Brits - and we like people who enter our contests.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

Talking about me while I'm not around, eh? Let me state for the record: I do not own a whip.

I'm exceedingly jealous of you Brits and the places you live. Luckily, I've found a quiet corner of rural Massachusetts, but someday I wouldn't mind living in Britain.

Dan, please do enter the contest. It might just earn you a virtual cookie. How can you pass that up?

|
|
|
Old 02-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Dan, please do enter the contest. It might just earn you a virtual cookie. How can you pass that up?
I still remember where and what you advised me to "pass" the cookie you gave me "up"....
Old 02-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

I still remember where and what you advised me to "pass" the cookie you gave me "up"....
Ooo, do tell!

Talking about me while I'm not around, eh? Let me state for the record: I do not own a whip.
I don't have one either, just a machete. But my friend had one and it was wicked good fun. Ca-rack!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Ooo, do tell!
Can't. Even talking about it is now banned under an emergency amendment to the Geneva Convention.

I don't have one either, just a machete. But my friend had one and it was wicked good fun. Ca-rack!
Whips go woo-pa! Not ca-rack!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Oh and Icarus: There'll be plenty of places to choose from to live in Rip-Off Britian once most of the population has migrated elsewhere.

Come on over and enjoy a stupidly high cost of living coupled with a country run by politically correct lunatics.

I only stay here for the weather....

Crap, where's my passport!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Can't. Even talking about it is now banned under an emergency amendment to the Geneva Convention.{/quote]

Oh, waah!

{quote=Jimbo}
Whips go woo-pa! Not ca-rack!
If your whip goes woo-pa, you're doing it wrong. It's all in the wrist, you know.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Jimbo (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 2

Originally Posted by alvin123 View Post
.............(ignore the dots)
Ok, as any kind of post, let alone a first post this one wins the Crazy Award for Crazy Awesome Craziness.

BUt, yeah, sure...consider it ignored?

Edit: Ahh, judging by your second post, what we have here is someone who REALLY wants to post their story, and maybe, kinda sees the 5-post goal as, ooh, I don't know...an inconvenience, perhaps?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Joewood (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to Joewood Send a message via Yahoo to Joewood

Joelle is a real sweetie, though, definitely agree with you there.
better not let anyone in the real world hear you say that... *would just ruin my hard core rep*

Between you, me and the wall, it's always nice to hear...

Perceptions of Guilt

|
|
|

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions