WritersBeat.com
 

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.


The Holy Bible

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,394
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,526
Default


Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
But I think some just panic and don't think what they are saying.
That's exactly right. It was hard to see that at the time, but I realize it now. Of course some people said some amazingly bizarre things that just had to be premeditated -- still, people mean well and it's best to focus on that. We had friends too that dropped off the radar for a while, because they didn't know what to say or couldn't deal with it -- and now I'm OK with that now too.

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-21-2011, 02:42 PM
thelastwordsmit's Avatar
thelastwordsmit (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 165
Thanks: 26
Thanks 43
Send a message via Yahoo to thelastwordsmit
Default

Originally Posted by calligraphy View Post
We bury our friend Friday, a husband, father, and a great soldier. He was KIA in afghanistan. I don't tell his young widow that God had a "plan" that included the loss of her soul mate. Bad stuff happens to good people because there is bad in the world, imperfections, illness, and all sorts of things that compound into death.

God never promised to make things perfect for everyone who believed. He never promised to make things harder for those who dont. He's never said that in a world full of free will (including ones that have used that to hurt others) we would be untouched. We were originally given the option not to understand, but being made as we are of course we'd want that knowledge. We chose to see it, live it, and die by it.

He does promise another life if we accept his son, however, and that is the hope a believer should set themselves up on. Not a perfect and happy life that is 80 or so years.

Now if you believe we came from monkeys... My post will change quite a bit because that is a promise of people becoming worm food in a quick and orderly fashion
We came from monkeys.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,433
Thanks: 26
Thanks 155
Default

Originally Posted by thelastwordsmit View Post
We came from monkeys.
Man is related to the monkey; only a monkey, however, would ever admit the relationship.



Don't fret death!

Death is falling blindly into the arms of God.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 PM
thelastwordsmit's Avatar
thelastwordsmit (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 165
Thanks: 26
Thanks 43
Send a message via Yahoo to thelastwordsmit
Default

Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
Man is related to the monkey; only a monkey, however, would ever admit the relationship.



Don't fret death!

Death is falling blindly into the arms of God.

Bet you wont say that after the Rise Of The Planet of The Apes.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Mike C's Avatar
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 9,117
Thanks: 99
Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C
Default

Originally Posted by calligraphy View Post
Whats better? I mean really... To live with hope... Or to be (what you seem to think) wise with none.

You hope for tommorow... I hope for eternity...
Not at all. I live every day in the moment, and I relish it. You tolerate every day because it's a trial you have to endure in return for a possible reward in the future.

If there is a God, and he truly helps those that help themselves, he probably likes me better than you anyway.
__________________
لا شيء يدوم‎
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 AM
ZenithOClock (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oxford
Posts: 157
Thanks: 63
Thanks 22
Default

This belongs in fiction.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-22-2011, 05:18 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,433
Thanks: 26
Thanks 155
Default

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
because it's a trial you have to endure in return for a possible reward in the future.

.

The afterlife isn't a reward; it's the an unseen world where the spirit released from its fleshy vehicle continues its journey.


Ring a bell?

"In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you."


Naturally, whether this is fiction or non-fiction lies in the mind of the individual. Believers rely upon on hope and faith the way fish rely upon water. Nobody is seeking to be rewarded--it's a lifestyle. To use the word "reward" borders on being a bit offensive. Dogs are rewarded with treats after fetching a stick.
Just wanted to clear that up, MikeC.

Originally Posted by ZenithOClock View Post
This belongs in fiction.
Comments like the above are redefining the term "drive-by." Nobody is taking aim at atheists; you faced choices before making your decision--no different from believers. Should you be stoned?

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-22-2011 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-22-2011, 09:50 AM
eez (Offline)
Typist
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Britain
Posts: 77
Thanks: 29
Thanks 24
Default

'I know that people disagree with me on this one; I know a lot of people here on this site are religious, but I am sorry. I am not going to suck up to something i have doubt in believing. Don't let me stop you cherishing God. Just know that my faith is lost.'-567ajt

More to the point, is God's faith in YOU lost?

I have a doubt.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-22-2011, 10:36 AM
567ajt's Avatar
567ajt (Offline)
Typist
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London
Posts: 69
Thanks: 1
Thanks 4
Default

Well, did God have faith in me anyway? I gave everything to Him. I made sure I did everything in order to make Him happy. But who is He? God may have made you a better person, but he didn't do anything to change me. I tried so hard to be good to God but he has done nothing to me. I lost my faith in Him because of Him. I no longer am with God because of God.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,394
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,526
Default

I think God needs to put you in time out.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,433
Thanks: 26
Thanks 155
Default


Last edited by Cityboy; 07-22-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Ethan Blake's Avatar
Ethan Blake (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pillars of Hercules
Posts: 1,540
Thanks: 718
Thanks 347
Send a message via AIM to Ethan Blake Send a message via Skype™ to Ethan Blake
Default

Originally Posted by 567ajt View Post
I lost my faith in Him because of Him. I no longer am with God because of God.
Sort of
'I didn't like what you did so I decided not to believe in you?'
It might be an idea to engage your brain before putting your thoughts in first gear.
Regards
D
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'THERE MAY BE TROUBLE AHEAD!'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,394
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,526
Default

I asked God for a pony and he didn't give it to me. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 PM
ZenithOClock (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oxford
Posts: 157
Thanks: 63
Thanks 22
Default

Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
Comments like the above are redefining the term "drive-by." Nobody is taking aim at atheists; you faced choices before making your decision--no different from believers. Should you be stoned?
Perhaps you can explain something for me. The OP is allowed to rant on comparing the bible to two other books they haven't even read, clearly oblivious to the theological and philosophical position they have adopted, obviously not thought about their argument or done any research and you accuse me of a 'drive-by' because I believe the original post belongs in the fiction section???!!!

I am entitled to an opinion, you may not like my opinion but hey, I'm a 'free spirit' and I like expressing myself.

One thing I detest more than wilful ignorance is hypocrisy dressed up as sanctimonious crap.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-22-2011, 01:13 PM
ZenithOClock (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oxford
Posts: 157
Thanks: 63
Thanks 22
Default

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Art is defined by its audience.

And religion is not art.
I disagree with both statements.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,433
Thanks: 26
Thanks 155
Default

Originally Posted by ZenithOClock View Post
Perhaps you can explain something for me. The OP is allowed to rant on comparing the bible to two other books they haven't even read, clearly oblivious to the theological and philosophical position they have adopted, obviously not thought about their argument or done any research and you accuse me of a 'drive-by' because I believe the original post belongs in the fiction section???!!!

I am entitled to an opinion, you may not like my opinion but hey, I'm a 'free spirit' and I like expressing myself.

One thing I detest more than wilful ignorance is hypocrisy dressed up as sanctimonious crap.
If you're a teen, I apologize for my intrusiveness into your rebellious world.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-22-2011, 01:46 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,394
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,526
Default

Originally Posted by ZenithOClock View Post
One thing I detest more than wilful ignorance is hypocrisy dressed up as sanctimonious crap.
I think I'd like a coffee mug with that on it.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,433
Thanks: 26
Thanks 155
Default

Originally Posted by ZenithOClock View Post
Perhaps you can explain something for me. The OP is allowed to rant on comparing the bible to two other books they haven't even read, clearly oblivious to the theological and philosophical position they have adopted, obviously not thought about their argument or done any research and you accuse me of a 'drive-by' because I believe the original post belongs in the fiction section???!!!

I am entitled to an opinion, you may not like my opinion but hey, I'm a 'free spirit' and I like expressing myself.

One thing I detest more than wilful ignorance is hypocrisy dressed up as sanctimonious crap.
If his opinions about the Holy Bible ought to moved to the fiction section (as you suggested), then shouldn't your opinions be moved there too?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-22-2011, 03:17 PM
ZenithOClock (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oxford
Posts: 157
Thanks: 63
Thanks 22
Default

Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
If his opinions about the Holy Bible ought to moved to the fiction section (as you suggested), then shouldn't your opinions be moved there too?
Sure.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-22-2011, 03:31 PM
ZenithOClock (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oxford
Posts: 157
Thanks: 63
Thanks 22
Default

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
I think I'd like a coffee mug with that on it.

I have it tattooed on my buttocks unerneath a picture of Bono.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Waterpoor's Avatar
Waterpoor (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southwestern New Mexico
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 126
Thanks 377
Default

Okay, can't keep my mouth shut though I believe we should deal with constructions etc. rather than context.

The piece was way over heated, no way to make a point. The writing wasn't bad, needed a lot of editing.

I'm stooping now. I have had some experience in the death and God thing. I was sent to a boarding school for lessons.
i.e. Vietnam

Today I try to live by this and it brings me to peace with my own life and my Creator.

It works the way it works and there are no mistakes. Spend a little time with the idea. Maybe it will work for you.
R.
__________________
It works the way it works and there are no mistakes
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Daeygon (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 40
Thanks: 11
Thanks 4
Icon3

Religion is always a hot topic no matter what community it is, there are no right or wrong religions since they are only of Individual beliefs and not fact(cannot ever be proven otherwise), I didn't read the whole story of the OP but I already knew where it was heading just from the title.

People need to keep in mind that this story is the OP's beliefs, thoughts etc and that everyone else's beliefs are still safe and still yours and that can never change, So I wouldn't suggest being uppity uppity and bash someone about there thoughts or beliefs since we all have them.
__________________
Writing, one day at a time!.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,433
Thanks: 26
Thanks 155
Default

Originally Posted by Daeygon View Post
Religion is always a hot topic no matter what community it is,

Religion extends farther than to only communities; it has been around since humankind ventured beyond Himself.

there are no right or wrong religions since they are only of Individual beliefs and not fact(cannot ever be proven otherwise),

I doubt writers of religious scriptures were thinking about fact or fiction at the time of the actual writing. Most likely, all of them believed their writings truthful. The writings themselves are set to put man on a righteous path. The problem lies in the fact that through the ages a many of the holy teachers ignored the sacred writings and taught from the wrong path, the path that benefitted only them.

I didn't read the whole story of the OP but I already knew where it was heading just from the title.

Opinions are no more than opinions.

People need to keep in mind that this story is the OP's beliefs, thoughts etc and that everyone else's beliefs are still safe and still yours and that can never change,

Of course, everyone realizes beliefs may not represent the truth. Noboby should feel absolutely secure with his or her own beliefs. There may come a time in life when an individual discovers he has been mislead by beliefs. Sometimes experiences or discoveries compels a person to change beliefs. Bolting the door of the consciousness is not always a good practice.

So I wouldn't suggest being uppity uppity and bash someone about there thoughts or beliefs since we all have them.

It's no secret that all spiritual writings have stated the rule you suggest (The Golden Rule): "Treat others as you would want them to treat you." The difficult part is the application of the rule.
Free thoughts about free writings.

Last edited by Cityboy; 08-30-2011 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-02-2011, 11:17 AM
roberto (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Let it be.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Holy Benefactor (Some Vulgarity) Neil Fiction 3 11-28-2010 03:47 AM
VIP Membership Contest - Winner Q Wands The Notice Board 30 12-09-2007 02:30 PM
Holy Thursday. ENILORAC Poetry 2 05-07-2007 01:04 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:22 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.