WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Parking Lot Prayer

Old 08-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Alice Luther (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 5
Default Parking Lot Prayer

Something I wrote recently after laughing over life with a friend of mine who has young children. I sympathized for her so much that this little piece came out of it. Enjoy! (It is written in her voice and from her perspective . . . lest anyone be confused!)

Would someone please explain to me, why there are ever-so-convenient parking places designated for those with physical disabilities, but none designated for mothers with young children?

Let me be the first to raise my hand and admit to my own severely-limiting and humbling disabilities. —And talk to any new or experienced mom and you will learn the following: We are sleep-deprived to the point of delirium, and should probably not be driving in the first place; medicated with a variety of drugs (my personal list includes one to help the inner/southern workings of my digestive system continue functioning); we are leaking a variety of fluids from a variety of orifices; nearly deaf from the combination of high pitched wails from hungry newborns and the emotional screeching of a nap-needing toddlers; not to mention the simple physical limitations induced by an infant car-seat slung over one arm, and a toddler dragging his feet on the other.

Don't tell me I, nor others like me, are not handicapped and sorely in need of a little kind convenience!

I confess that in place of The Serenity Prayer, I have occasionally whispered words somewhere along the following:

Dear God,
Grant me the grace and humility to give up this premiere parking place to that exhausted and similarly-handicapped mother and her van-load of children; and may the size-nothing, overly-blond, child-free teen who just took the last parking place in a three-block radius, trip over her ever-so-cute stiletto boots.

Amen.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:42 PM
ametz000 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Send a message via AIM to ametz000

Wow...what an excellent piece and quite the humorous take on the idea of being handicapped.

Sometimes I think the people are too quick to make judgements on other people. (Oh, but she's a mother...it should come natural to her!..ha!) I wonder if people every really take into consideration the trials and tribulations that a mother honestly goes through.

As a male, I can't imagine the stress and worry that I caused my mother growing up. After reading this, I feel like they should make parking spaces for stressed out mothers with a tag included depicting a mother with 7 children hanging off of her. Haha!
Old 08-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Dichotomy (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 2

I loved it! Your wit and sense of humor makes this piece magnificent. It read well, flowed together nicely and kept me engaged throughout. Excellent job.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction