WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Steve Jobs; The Man Who Changed the World

Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Abdullah (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Steve Jobs; The Man Who Changed the World

A small work for a great man

"The Man Who Changed the World"

Steve Paul Jobs was a technology creative, and was a well-known person for his famous inventions, which have a huge impact on today's technology. In San Francesco, on the 24th of February 1955, Steve Jobs opened his eyes for the first time. A baby was born for a Syrian Muslim father,Abdulfattah Jandali, and American Catholic mother, Joanne Schieble, who did not want the baby, so they put him for adoption. After one week, he got adopted by Paul and Clara Jobs, a couple married for nine years, and did not have any kids. Steve found what he was about to lose, he found parents who loved him and swore to do all they could to make him live a good life, and they did. When Steve moved to live with his new family, they provided him with all love and care he needed. That was better than if he had lived with two young, uneducated and careless parents. Paul and Clara Jobs were not allowed to take the boy until they had promised to fund savings account to pay for Steve when he gets to college. As soon as Steve moved to Jobs's house, they opened a bank account and started saving money. ("Steve Jobs", Walter Isaacson, pg.12-19)

When Steve was about to finish the fourth grade in his school, he had a test that allowed him to skip the fifth grade, and his parents agreed. They thought that putting him directly in the sixth grade would give him more challenges, but Steve faced challenges, which his parents had never hoped for. Surrounded by older students, Steve felt out of place, so he started to hate school and threatened to leave it unless he moves to another one. When Steve's parents knew what was happing to their child, they moved just so Steve could attend a different school. ("Steve Jobs: Technology Innovator and Apple Genius", Matt Doeden, pg.11) In the new school, Steve joined Hewlett-Pachard Explorers Club, which was a computer and an electronic club. There, he met Stephen Wozniak, an electronic genius, and they became friends.("Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different", Karen Blumenthal, pg. 271, 272) Ones, an engineer with the Hewlett-Pachard company showed Steve one of the computers they were developing. ("Steve Jobs: Technology… Genius", Matt Doeden, pg.11-12) When Steve saw the computer, it ignited his passion for computers. Jobs and his friend Wozniak sheared their love for computers and electronics, and they worked on small electronic projects such as Blue Boxes, which were electronic devices that were able to make free long-distance phone calls.("Steve Jobs: Technology… Genius", Matt Doeden, pg. 12)

By September 1972, Steve had finished his high school, and wanted to go to college. Seventeen years earlier, Steve's parents had promised that they would fund a savings account for their son when he gets to college, so they had worked hard in order to pay his college fees. Steve did not appreciate that, and did not want to attend any local college, instead he insisted to go only to Reed College, which was one of the most expensive colleges in the nation. When Steve's parents knew that Steve would never go to any college except Reed, they agreed to send him to it, although it was over there financial ability. After only one semester at Reed College, Steve decided to leave it. He said that there was no use of studying there and wasting his time his parents' money, so in December 1972, Steve dropped out of Reed College. ("Steve Jobs", Walter Isaacson, pg. 44-48)

In April 1976, Jobs and Wozniak started to assemble electronic parts inside jobs' garage, and there was the birth of their company.("Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different", Karen Blumenthal, pg. 271, 272) After Jobs and Wozniak had made their company, they needed to name it, so they started thinking about some names. Then, Jobs came up with the name Apple because he was working in an apple field, and also it would make their company's phone number on top of Atari's in the telephone book.Jobs and Wozniak started making their very first computer, which they later named Apple I, where Wozniak used to work on electronics, and Jobs used to supply him with the parts that he needed. By the spring of 1976, Steve received the very first Apple order for fifteen Apple I computers. ("Steve Jobs", Walter Isaacson, pg.70- 76) This was a life-changing event for Steve because it was his first real business, and the first product order in his company. One year later, on the 15th of April 1977, Steve announced the Apple II which was another successful product in Apple company. Then, on the 24th of January, 1984, Steve introduced The Mac computer which was the first personal computer with a graphic interface. That was Steve's biggest achievement ("Steve Jobs", Walter Isaacson, pg.122-128 ) because he made what people wanted, they wanted an easy, simple, and cheep computer and that exactly what Steve did.

Steve was a very good businessman, but his social life was not that good. He was a thirty-three years old single man. Ones, Steve was delivering a lecture at Stanford University when he met Laurene Powell, who was a new graduate student at the business school. Laurene was sitting on the first row seats in the hall, and before he got to the stage, he had a small conversation with her. While Steve was delivering the lecture, she decided to leave, Steve followed her and asked her to go to dinner with him, and she agreed. Short time later, on the 18th of March 1991, Steve and Laurene got married at the Ahwahnee Lodge in Yosemite National Park.("Steve Jobs", Walter Isaacson, pg.275-279 ) After Steve got married, he started to be more responsible, and he had to think differently because he had a family to look after, and to care about. By September 1991, Steve became a father for his first child from Laurene, Reed, and in Augusts 1995, Steve's daughter Erin was born. ("Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different", Karen Blumenthal, pg.271, 272)

In 2003, Steve's health started to get worse when he discovered a pancreatic cancer in his body. It started when he was getting a CAT scan of his kidneys and ureter. The last scan he five years did was ago. The new scan revealed nothing wrong with his kidneys, but it did show a shadow on his pancreas, so his doctor asked him to schedule a pancreatic study. After the studies were finished, he went early in the morning to the hospital, and the doctors met him to deliver the bad news. At first, Steve refused to do any surgery that could save his life, but after nine months of insisting from family and friends, he agreed to do it. The doctors did the surgery to him, and removed the cancer. Unfortunately, it was too late, because over nine months, the censer spread over his liver, so he began chemotherapy treatments. (Steve Jobs, Walter Isaacson, P: 456- 460)

Steve was always dreaming of a device, which could work as mobile phone, music player, and internet browser. Therefore, in 2005, he launched a secret project under the code name P1 to make this revolutionary device. Steve and his team worked hard on this project until he introduced it to the world in the 9th of January 2007. This revolutionary device, iPhone, was the very first touch-screen smart phone. People gone crazy on the new phone and started buying it. Steve successfully made a device that helps in connecting people, and sharing their happy moments with each other in a creative way. While iPhone sells reached 90 million by 2010, Steve was about to finish iPhone's bigger brother, a device that can be used as a personal computer, fits in your hand, and with a touch screen. In seventh of January 2010, Steve announced the iPad, the first successful personal computer that has a touch screen. (Steve Jobs, Walter Isaacson, P: 470-510)

Steve ones said " When I was diagnosed with cancer, I made my deal with God or whatever, which was that I really wanted to see Reed graduate, and that got me through 2009." Since Steve started his chemotherapy treatments, his health started to get worse by time. He kept fighting cancer until Steve could not fight any more, and his eyes closed for the last time in the 15th of October 2011. (Steve Jobs, Walter Isaacson, P: 542-549)

The life ended for a great man who never knew giving up. Steve left behind him a massive legacy of accomplishments, inventions, and stories to be told. Steve Jobs was really a struggling and a creative man, because he presented to the humankind the finesttechnology inventions, which would indeed keep his name immortal forever.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:17 AM
XavierAlex (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Hi Abdullah,

Rather interesting portrait of Steve Jobs. Well documented. Kept me reading and wanting to know about important dates in his life.

I'm not sure but there are a few leaps and things you gloss over. From birth to death, then a portrayal of his genius--I would say try to focus on more of the genius story to fit the title, making sure the premise is concluded. I am not personally an Apple or Mac user; so I don't necessarily see Steve Jobs in quite the same way, but you do present the genius.

This piece is good reading, though. I would pick a certain part and perhaps expand on that. If it's Job's birth or death, then that; if it's the start of Apple (which is an interesting thing I didn't know about (that he was in an apple field)), then choose that. You definitely have great skills, so I would bet whatever part you choose and elaborate on would be superb.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Abdullah (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0

Hi XavierAlex,

first. I thank you very much for such nice reply and great notes.

this paper was made as a training for using sources and speaking about

historical events in some person's life

and about the "few leaps and things you gloss over"

i was forced to to have them as my paper was short and needed to cover all the person's life

thank you again
Old 01-29-2014, 06:07 PM
vanmill (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Are you presently a futurist? Do you consider great inventions to be gateways through which our lives could be made better? Here's a future forecast of innovations that can alter the globe, thanks to The Futurist magazine. While none of really, this ought to be set in stone, the potential to save money, time and eventually life makes them something to be valued.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction