WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Blog writing

Old 12-06-2011, 03:54 AM
alanlangdon (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Default Blog writing

After reading a few blogs recently about my favorite sport football (soccer). This got me thinking about starting my own blog. My question is do any of you write blogs? If so, do you write for pleasure or do you have blogs to promote your writing skills or style.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Nondelusional (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I am starting a blog called Nondelusional. I am writing for the purpose of promoting my ideas. So, in my case, I would like to improve my writing to better communicate my ideas.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:33 PM
creativewriting (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I've written a handful of blogs in my day. My current one is a political blog. I've found that writing about something you're interested pretty easy, even when you have low readership.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Connie (Online)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 16

I'm too private a person to blog. I don't mind writing a short story of my life experience, in fact its cathartic and greatly liberating. But these are carefully constructed and thought out- not just day to day drivel.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Eponine (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I write a blog. I started it because it felt natural, a continuation of all the journals I've kept since, well, forever.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:53 PM
WriteStuff (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I write weekly at my blog and have had some guest posters as well. Blogs are great especially if you are planning to promote your upcoming book. It allows you to connect with your audience as you build your list. Lastly, if you plan to use a traditional publisher they want to see that you have a following, which means sales for them and you.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Nostalgia375 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default I have also started my blog

My desire is to see my blog sprouting with short stories and I would be posting some, from my blog.

Last edited by Nostalgia375; 02-06-2012 at 09:06 AM..
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 AM
fendo (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I started writing a blog on the NBA back in May of 2011 and have struggled to develop a good, regular volume of readers, but that hasn't swayed me from continuing to develop my writing skills while simultaneously providing me with a creative outlet. Some of my posts are much better than others, but overall, it's been a positive experience.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Trinity (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

i dont really care much for blogs they arent closed in enough to just be kept open. plus i dont feel like telling the world what i'm doing
Old 02-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Casper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 98

I blog. When I started it was rather tentative and mostly book reviews and bits about my writing, but this year I'm doing a series called How I Got My Agent - writer friends of mine telling their stories - and I have beta reading and query crit rounds.

The last few months I've really enjoyed it! So I suppose I'm doing it for pleasure but also to network with other writers and potential readers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:12 PM
ShaeShae (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Icon7 Blog

I recently started a blog to promote my book and start a business. It is a weight loss blog and eventually I want to turn it into a lifestyle site for women. You should start one for pleasure and to show off your writing skills, why not!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:42 AM
CountOttoBlack (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Writing large chunks of prose for any reason at all automatically gives you practice in writing, thus making you a slightly better writer. And typing a long piece of text which you hope the entire world is going to read means that you're going to pay attention to spelling, grammar, style, and all that stuff that makes you sound like somebody who isn't retarded.

Nobody who can't properly use English (or whatever else their native language happens to be) stands the slightest chance of being published. Sorry to all the dyslexics out there, but that's a basic fact. Blind painters don't have much of a chance either. But most blind people are aware that becoming a painter is probably a bit stupid. However, a surprising number of people seem to think that even if they cant spel to wel, the world wants to hear what they have to say. No, actually, the world is going to laugh at you, unless they give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're a child.

Harsh words indeed, but true! There are precisely two rules to this game. The first one is that you have to read. If you like books enough to write one, you really ought to read a great many of them. And that includes stuff you wouldn't normally go for. The basic fact is that if you can't write properly but you seriously want to, you should read more. Might I suggest the King James Bible? I will tell you right now that I am an atheist, though in a small-a non-Richard Dawkins kind of way (I don't believe that the entire course of history was decided by a magic person up in the sky, but if you choose to think so, I don't hate you, and I will certainly make no attempt at all to prove that you're wrong on television). But this is probably the most influential book ever written, and the prose style, especially in the New Testament, is superb. Way better than the Koran - sorry, Muslims.

My point being that for the purposes of becoming an author, you need to read
absolutely anything at all that seems even remotely relevant. And then the other stuff as well.

Oh, and rule number two? Well, obviously, since the first one was "read", it's going to be "write". That of course includes blogs, which finally makes this a relevant response to this post. Every word you ever write hones your craft ever so slightly more. Even if you're too shy to blog it still works, though maybe not quite as well because you don't have to show it to anyone.

So there you go - read then write. It's that simple! No. actually it isn't, because most people can't write at all. But some of you will succeed, so go for it!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Atrelegis (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 11

tl;dr:

Read a lot, then write a lot. Repeat until satisfactory results and/or publication.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by CountOttoBlack View Post
Nobody who can't properly use English (or whatever else their native language happens to be) stands the slightest chance of being published. Sorry to all the dyslexics out there, but that's a basic fact. Blind painters don't have much of a chance either. But most blind people are aware that becoming a painter is probably a bit stupid. However, a surprising number of people seem to think that even if they cant spel to wel, the world wants to hear what they have to say. No, actually, the world is going to laugh at you, unless they give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're a child.
I can't begin to tell you how wrong you are there. There are many different types or levels of dyslexia and you have just painted everyone with the condition, with one very out of date and misinformed brush!

Did you know that some forms of dyslexia can be cured by a coloured filter over the page/monitor screen, or even by the dyslexic person wearing coloured glass spectacles - seriously, for some that is all it takes.

And just because a dyslexic person can't make sense of the words on the page doesn't mean they don't have an imagination and can't tell a story. With modern technology people can hear books and dictate what they write.

And a blind person can still be an artist, they can use their hands and work with clay and other modelling materials. They may not be able to see images and colours to paint but they can still be creative.

Sorry for ranting but what you said really ruffled my feathers.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Ember (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Ember (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 47

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
I can't begin to tell you how wrong you are there. There are many different types or levels of dyslexia and you have just painted everyone with the condition, with one very out of date and misinformed brush!

Did you know that some forms of dyslexia can be cured by a coloured filter over the page/monitor screen, or even by the dyslexic person wearing coloured glass spectacles - seriously, for some that is all it takes.

And just because a dyslexic person can't make sense of the words on the page doesn't mean they don't have an imagination and can't tell a story. With modern technology people can hear books and dictate what they write.

And a blind person can still be an artist, they can use their hands and work with clay and other modelling materials. They may not be able to see images and colours to paint but they can still be creative.

Sorry for ranting but what you said really ruffled my feathers.
Couldn't agree more! This is exactly what I was thinking when I read that.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:51 AM
maxopray (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 10

I've started a blog (antiview.net) and love it. From the advice I received, what I agree with most is to set modest target of how many posts you will make a week/month, and then stick to it readers value consistency.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Dan Hauer (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
i dont really care much for blogs they arent closed in enough to just be kept open. plus i dont feel like telling the world what i'm doing
Having a blog doesn't mean you have to tell the world what you're doing. I have a blog, but I rarely right about specific things happening in my life. If you were to read it, you probably wouldn't be able to glean much about whether I'm in a relationship, or about how much I socialize, or about my social background.

You'd be able to figure out where I live and what sort of work I do. But that's about it. I use the blog as a place to post essays. And the goal, mainly, is just to entertain my friends. And practice writing, of course.

My blog:
Old 06-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Mkasel (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I actually started writing a blog today. Honestly, it is a place to publish the essays that I would be writing regardless if blogs exist. It is just nice to know that someone out there might be reading what I have to say. It also makes for great practice, I think.

mkmusingsblog.wordpress.com/
Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Odonne (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 16

I write a blog, usually stories accompanied by a lot of pictures. I really enjoy blogging, great release for the mind after a hard day
Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Dettbizzle (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

The last time I kept a blog was when I was in high school, about eight years ago. At that time, it was merely the musings and everyday, down to the minute activity of a teenager. Not my proudest moment, but I intend to start a blog in the future for the purpose of getting my life off of my chest.

My advice, know your subject content to the fullest if you plan on orienting your blog towards anything specific, such as religion, sports, politics, philanthropy, etc. The more you know, the better you can convey your thoughts on the matter. Of course, if you intended to start an everyday life blog or perhaps a humor blog, these rules go out the window, and they come based on a personal view of your content.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Ethan Blake (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 347
Send a message via AIM to Ethan Blake Send a message via Skype™ to Ethan Blake

YOU CAN USE THIS FORUM TO BLOG, SAVE YOURSELF THE COST OF A WEBSITE AND JUST USE THE FREE WRITING THREAD, AND YOU HAVE AN ALREADY ESTABLISHED READERSHIP!

BEST REGARDS
D

'THERE MAY BE TROUBLE AHEAD!'

Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 PM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125

I just, literally just started one. I actually haven't told a single person (apart from my boyfriend) or shared the link yet, becuase I'm still working on it. I'm using it as a website to promote my writing, as many publishers I've worked with asked me for a link to my site that they could share with readers, if I have one.

I am all about writing fiction, not so much non-fiction blogs. But I am having fun with the design of the site. I am learning a whole new thing. Blogspot.com lets you design the entire layout. I've just learned what a gadget is, and I'm coming off this 3 day obsession with playing around and learning how to do things with color/text/links and gadgets.

I don't even like the word "blog", particularly. But I love the idea of having my own site for my writing, wether anyone wants to see it or not. A free one is just fine for where I am in my writing right now.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Dan Hauer (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Originally Posted by singphantom7 View Post

I don't even like the word "blog", particularly.
Yeah, I dislike it, too. I don't know if I dislike it just because it's newfangled or if I dislike it because it's displeasing to the ear. It sounds like a sound a squishy animal would make.

My blog:
Old 06-29-2012, 11:45 AM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125

Thank you, Dan. Newfangled AND displeasing to the ear. Double wammy. "Blog" is like spelling out the sound of someone throwing up in their mouth a little, like, "She'd had just a bit too much to drink. I heard a soft blog coming up from her throat."

Also, I don't want to have a site that is meant to be a personal diary, but more for something representative of my writing. Like a little artistic resume posted for all who care to see it. Even if I just see it, I'm having so much fun with it. I love blogspot, despite its use of the word blog. It's addictative and free. I feel like a kid drawing pictures for the refridgerator.

src="images/smilies/coffee.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Cocoa" class="inlineimg" />

Last edited by singphantom7; 06-29-2012 at 11:50 AM..
Old 06-30-2012, 02:05 AM
RayR (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I've blogged for over five years and I enjoy it. A few hints:

1. Use Wordpress. Sign-up with a hosting service that has a Wordpress installer and the process will go quickly.

2. Check-out the website Useit.com. It's full of web writing style and format suggestions.

3. Watch out for spammers who will attack your website constantly. Install Askimet spam block, if using Wordpress.

4. Write often to create a following. 250 word posts suffice.

5. Watch out for comments full of spam links.

6. Link to credible websites.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:27 AM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125

What's your wordpress site, Ray? I'd like to check it out.

src="images/smilies/coffee.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Cocoa" class="inlineimg" />
Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Dan Hauer (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Originally Posted by singphantom7 View Post
"She'd had just a bit too much to drink. I heard a soft blog coming up from her throat."
Heh heh. Nice.

My blog:
Old 07-01-2012, 01:10 PM
J.McGraw (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 9

I started a blog a few years ago as a new year's resolution to help me write. Plan was to post a piece of fiction once a month for a year. I haven't yet managed to complete a whole year, but I'm sure I will eventually. In my ideal world, I wanted people to comment on what they liked or didn't like about what I wrote, or simply tell me if they thought it was boring or cliched. I put my writing up with very little editing, in the hopes that, when I do come to edit it, I'd have some constructive critisism to work from. It's a wonderful idea in theory, but apparently not in practice.

Out of the blogs I read, I'm less of a fan of those which are merely an extension of someone's Twitter feed. I think personal blogs only work if you're funny, or you have an amazingly interesting life. My absolute favourite blogs are Digital Cuttlefish and The Bloggess. If, some day in the hazy future, I can create something like that, I will die a happy lady.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 AM
J.McGraw (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 9

Sorry for the double post, but I can't send PM's at the moment.

To singphantom7, sorry I can't reply - downside of being a newbie! I can't post the link in a thread yet, either, but it's in my signature if you fancy a look. Thanks for dropping me a line!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:39 AM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125

Thanks, J. I checked out a few of your posts on my lunch break and left a comment. You have a lot of work posted! I enjoyed browsing and reading.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction