WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Help! My plot sucks!

Old 01-16-2010, 02:18 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

Originally Posted by Battyvamp View Post
No need to be snarkey

I think I will just move on to starting a different story and see how that goes, maybe try some exercises somewhere or somehow and see if I can't get inspired by something.

I really really want to write, I just feel like I am in limbo.
Not being snarkey...just pulling your werewolf tail a bit.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Nemesis (Offline)
That Beautiful Insanity

Thanks 87

I have to agree with Lin. Ideas are like fruit on a tree. Some will ripen faster than others, some you'll pick and some you'll never get to. I think R A Salvatore writes garbage, but look at all the kids who love (and I mean LOVE) his work? If they like it, who the hell am I to designate it as crap?

So if you want to write about vampires, go nuts, and good luck to you. Sure the market is saturated right now thanks to Twilight, but if done well any cliche can be freshened up.

Trying a few challenges is a great idea. You never know where an idea will come from, and it could help strengthen your writing. Heck, maybe you can even throw your MC into the character clinic and start really getting to know her. See what works, and what doesn't. Really, there's nothing to loose.

Last edited by Nemesis; 01-16-2010 at 11:36 AM..
Old 01-16-2010, 11:13 AM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48
Send a message via AIM to CTK Send a message via MSN to CTK Send a message via Skype™ to CTK

The market was saturated before Twilight, I think people don't realize this for some reason, Twilight is not the first Vampire book to make it big.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Nemesis (Offline)
That Beautiful Insanity

Thanks 87

I didn't forget that there are tons of vamp novels out there at all. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the vampire craze is like the tide. It waxes and wanes. Now it's at a peak. It will receed, only to resurge again. The question is, which Vamp novel will be the one to ride the next wave?

With some work, it could be a book by our own Battyvamp.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 AM
Smithy (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3

As someone writing a sibling kidnap/rescue plot myself, I wouldn't be so eager to turn my back on the prophecy just yet. If you get rid of it you're going to have to find some other way of explaining why the villains kidnapped the little sister. Now while there are other ways of explaining it and you have plenty of scope to rework the plot to accomodate them (and speaking as someone who worked through half a dozen explanations to get to one that fitted, they should alter the plot) it might be better to stick to the explanation you already have.

One more thing I want to ask: assuming I've read this right and Sharla was separated from her sister at 3 years old, why does she suddenly decide to rush off and mount a rescue?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Don't throw this one out, though. *Never listen to anybody who tells you that.*
I've come back to things many years later and finished them with a whole new vision and energy.
Agreed. Obviously you care about this plot and the people. The themes clearly resonate with you! So save it! You may go back to it years from now, and find that added life experience and writing skill make it easier to write then.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:26 PM
cmhine (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 2

Prophecy is typically linked to destiny, devices beyond our control. Fate plays it's card and deals it's dice. If a thing is going to happen, it will. You could invoke some form of time paradox in, to help pack your prophecy with substance.

One of your MC's wanders back through time (somehow) sets off wheels in motion in the past that have an effect on his own future. He will do it because he did do it in the past. He realisesthe thing is going to happen (prophecy) and perhaps the prophecy is something to avoid, hence takes action in the past.here there is the paradox. Your actions in the past define your future. Your future motives for change are defined by your past. Temporal causality loop.

Just to add some thoretical science to your prophecy fantasy.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Lin

See that's the problem with the whole "prophesy" thing. *It's all been picked over so much. *You even look at like Terminator and they're unwinding destiny and "no fate" and such.

I'd bag it, go for something new. **
Much of what I mentioned about raping and torturing shamans is taken from Native American history. * And thats stuff that works well in SF (check out Avatar redoing the "Dances With Wolves" bit)

I think anything anybody can do to break out of fantasy cliches's the better. *And a great way to do it is mix in stuff from other cultures that haven't been strip-minded.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Battyvamp (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Battyvamp

Thank you all for your help, I think I will just put this idea away into a dark corner until I can come back to it at a later time. The story line isn't my favorite, but I like my character's so far, though I don't have much on them written down, but I know where I want them to go in my head.

Again thank you so much, you have given me a lot to mull over

Sorry I haven't written sooner, but my ex and I have both been sick the last week or so.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:42 PM
cmhine (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 2

How about a normal everyday setting. No silly made up worlds. Instead we have your MC with some ability, like John Constantine. This gives you you fantasy element, saves on the world building. Next your MC needs a task. Recovery of something of sorts to overturn some form of future calamity that only he/she is aware of. Your MC's alone but then meets others like him/her. They explain some unknowns and help out. But there's conflict, and dissagreement... And now my fingers aching tapping my iPhone keypad. Now your antoginist can be a demon that wants the calamity, needs it and directly plans your MC's destiny so he/she is ultimately the catalist, when all along thinks his/her actions are working against the calamity... Stick a love interest in, use the antagonists means of bringing about the calamity against him/her, and your done. ;-)
Old 01-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Lin

Wanna read the funniest vampire story of all time? *
Christopher Moore's *"Blood Sucking Fiends: A Love Story"
Old 01-24-2010, 12:37 PM
cmhine (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 2

Isn't Bram Stokers Daracula a Love Story?

I remember being in the cinema, ealry 90's. A guy behind me (at the end of the film) said, "Well that was s**t."

He then followed his comment up with, "No gore or anything." I guess he didn't go for the love interest: that of the 'Count' and 'Mina Harker' - his princess lost in time.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:48 PM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48
Send a message via AIM to CTK Send a message via MSN to CTK Send a message via Skype™ to CTK

There's no such thing as something new, to say something has been picked over so much is to say that there's nothing to write about really.

The interesting thing about prophecy is they can be wrong, they can be broken or misread to trick the characters and the reader. An entire series of prophecies in the show Angel were fabricated to force Angel into a course of events, because he was destined to bare a son that killed this creature. So the creature went back in time and influenced the fabrication of these prophecies.

It made sense that the creature didn't just go back and kill him because the creature had been robbed of his ability to effect or touch anyone and there were other things in the prophecy that he would need Angel to do. But he could always just pretend to be someone important making someone else inscribe something.

The point being that having a straight forward, completely transparent prophecy is the only thing you have to worry about. Cryptic ones that are vague or could have double or triple meanings or that could be lies are interesting.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Lin

There's no such thing as something new,
I realize that is just parroting, not an actual thought. *But it's so obviously and patently untrue you'd think anybody would be ashamed to say it.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:32 PM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48

I realize that is just parroting, not an actual thought. *But it's so obviously and patently untrue you'd think anybody would be ashamed to say it.
The point is that you can't spend all your time looking for something new, you would be better off refining what you have and giving it a unique spin, better writing or good characters that keep people coming back.

One could call "Prophecy is over done" parroting too. Because people seem to constantly be saying that
Old 01-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Lin

No, the point is "there's nothing new is crap" **

Somethings have been done to death. To try and say that nothing is more stale and hackneyed than anything else is just a recipe for people with no originality.

In fact, there are new ideas all the time. * Duh.

And in fact, there are ideas that people are sick of. * Duh.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:05 PM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48

No, the point is "there's nothing new is crap" **

Somethings have been done to death. To try and say that nothing is more stale and hackneyed than anything else is just a recipe for people with no originality.

In fact, there are new ideas all the time. * Duh.

And in fact, there are ideas that people are sick of. * Duh.
Whatever. If people were sick of them there wouldn't be anyone making money with them, would there. Yet every year something that involves prophecy makes loads of money and people ready it, watch it, talk about it, obsess over it, etc. Two of the shows that got viewer's choice awards this year rely heavily on prophecy. Countless books, television shows, movies come out every year that rely on it for at least part of the plot.

The fact that your opinion is no better than anyone else's seems to bother you, but I don't think you're fooling anyone into thinking its more than just that...an opinion.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Lin

No, you seem to be the only one who would think that an opinion is anything more than an opinion. *Peculiar.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:23 PM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48

No, you seem to be the only one who would think that an opinion is anything more than an opinion. *Peculiar.
See that's the problem with the whole "prophesy" thing. *It's all been picked over so much. *You even look at like Terminator and they're unwinding destiny and "no fate" and such.

I'd bag it, go for something new. **
It's not even one that you give much reason for besides, its been picked over too much. That's what tends to make people argue with an opinion back and no matter how much shit you sputter out here, there's nothing that's going to change your opinion into truth. You seem to think everything you do should be taken as fact when its been shown that you've got a bloated ego and no sense of when you're right, wrong or when someone's even trying to agree with you.

When someone disagrees with you just shut up if you've got nothing to say. Because you had nothing to say. People don't need to change their plot to fit your whims just because you said it.

***********since you seem to need an asterisk to understand things, read this closely, I won't be responding to your BS in this thread anymore. So you can go ahead and make some stupid statement about how I'm younger or change my name all of the time and you'll just go down looking less valid than you did before*************
Old 01-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Lin

Being a twerp is one thing. *But being incoherent affects others. *Try to figure out what the hell it is you're trying to say.

Then go tell somebody who gives a shit. * If you can find anybody that bad off.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:43 AM
cmhine (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 2
Icon6

Now then, now then - boys and girls. Hell, I sound like Jimmy Saville!!

Watched Day Walkers at the weekend.

I thought that was an original plot idea, new, if you like. A world controlled by Vampires where Humans are the minority. Great.

Essentially remember this: what is old to some will be new to others. My 4 year old finds the Wizard of Oz, amazing. It was filmed in 1938. Brilliant.
Same for any old out of print books.

The spin idea is typically what I agree with. At the end of the day and NEW idea will be influenced by all sorts of factors occurring all the time. That is to say, v little is truly new, possible, but rare. :smile:

IMO
Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

I've read some pretty original novels. I've read a lot that conform to basic themes, too. Originality is entirely possible but it depends on how many chances a writer is willing to take. If they're writing for money and accolades, though, they're unlikely to create anything unique. Just another opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:35 AM
Tyrael (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

I'd far rather read an unoriginal novel that is executed well than an original one that is badly executed. As far as I see it, originality is only a part of overall quality and not something to get too hung up on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:44 AM
Lin

Not sure anybody's getting hung up on it.
Just discussing that it exists. *Despire the continual squawks of internet parrots that there is no such thing as anything original.

And, in a way, all fiction is original. Probably why they it "novel".
Old 12-01-2010, 12:08 PM
sparta98 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Location: On this empty street on the boulevard of broken dreams...
Thanks 37

I just did one for a defective robot character... "Does your character die romantically? (Ex: in lovers arms, of battle wounds,etc.)" How the hell are you supposed to kill off a robot character? Robots, by defintion have to be (brutally) dismantled to be dead... otherwise you could just recharge it...
Old 12-01-2010, 12:19 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

If the robot has AI, maybe that's stored in a chip somewhere inside? In that case, damaging or destroying the AI chip could "kill" the robot, leaving it as a mere machine, not unlike a can opener or simple pulley. Death has to be defined carefully when robots are involved!

EDIT: on an unrelated note, the first quote in your signature was said by Kennedy, though written by his speech-writer. (And it's "bin", not "ben".) The last is from The Charge of the Light Brigade, by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. And no, you can't marry me.

Last edited by HoiLei; 12-01-2010 at 12:22 PM..
Old 12-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Lin

Brutally dismantled?
Fiddlesticks. Even in our century we've learned to neutralize thinking machines by merely sending them non-tested upgrades, or requiring renewal of purchase certificates that don't seem to jibe with the interface for downloading new components required to continue operating.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:23 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

In such a dystopia, Microsoft is of course the Evil Empire.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:25 PM
sparta98 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Location: On this empty street on the boulevard of broken dreams...
Thanks 37

Originally Posted by HoiLei View Post
If the robot has AI, maybe that's stored in a chip somewhere inside? In that case, damaging or destroying the AI chip could "kill" the robot, leaving it as a mere machine, not unlike a can opener or simple pulley. Death has to be defined carefully when robots are involved!

EDIT: on an unrelated note, the first quote in your signature was said by Kennedy, though written by his speech-writer. (And it's "bin", not "ben".) The last is from The Charge of the Light Brigade, by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. And no, you can't marry me.
Oops, I'll have to fix that... She is more of an 'accidental' intelligence. The character was an android designed to infiltrate and sabotage. Unfortunately for the androids, the infiltrator models were designed to mimic human behavior, and when they heat up, the circuit boards expand and cause some information to be lost. Usually it results in the robot stopping in it's tracks, but this particular one lost all of the programming that gave it drive to kill.

God, it still sounds pretty lame.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Diabo (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 2

Originally Posted by sparta98 View Post
Oops, I'll have to fix that... She is more of an 'accidental' intelligence. The character was an android designed to infiltrate and sabotage. Unfortunately for the androids, the infiltrator models were designed to mimic human behavior, and when they heat up, the circuit boards expand and cause some information to be lost. Usually it results in the robot stopping in it's tracks, but this particular one lost all of the programming that gave it drive to kill.

God, it still sounds pretty lame.
Doesn't sound too terribly far fetched to me. Quite honestly it wouldn't be too uncommon for random abilities or information to be lost if something like that was the case. It'd be more or less like human memory, able to remember some things as a whole, but not neccesarily every single detail?

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues