WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

If you saw another vampire book....

Old 08-15-2010, 08:07 AM
AbbyBlack (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 35

In JR Ward's Blackdagger Brotherhood, the vampires are a self-sustaining society who drink from other vampires of the opposite sex. Theirs is a whole society, with a specific religion and everything. It's a fantastic world that she's created.
Oh come on. That's basically an erotic novel, and it's not that well written. It's just really overrated. ;_;

Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147
Send a message via AIM to Writing.Geek.

Hm. Well, I prefer the old type of vampires. As in: to turn into a vampire you get bitten, and they drink from humans.

Might be boring, but I've read some good twists on just that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
if you want to reveal your stories from the shadow of your computer....
Old 08-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by AbbyBlack View Post
Oh come on. That's basically an erotic novel, and it's not that well written. It's just really overrated. ;_;
On the contrary, I think her work, compared to others I've read is some of the best in the genre - which HELLO!!! is, as stated paranormal romance!

Have you read the whole series, because there are also the sympaths who feed from blood and emotion, another take on the vampires.

You read your preferences I'll read mine!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Bree Bree3195 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 2
Send a message via MSN to Bree Bree3195

I would go for writing it. I have to say, I am a harcore vampire lover. The Vampire Academy Series, Nightworld Series, yes, the Twilight Saga, (thats what made me like vamps in the first place) Trueblood Series. If it has vampires, I will read it!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147

Bree, I love the Vampire Academy series (it's my favorite). What's yours?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:13 AM
AbbyBlack (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 35

@Redlorry: Well jeez, of course, I'd never tell you what to read! There's also the issue though that WG is a bit young, apparently... I'm not sure if the scenes between Zadist and Bella, for example, would be appropiate ^ ^"
Old 08-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Redlorry

@ AbbyBlack: I have no idea how old most members are. However WG portrays herself quite maturely.

Anyway, whether or not she chooses to read the books is neither here nor there, as I was simply demonstrating the way different vampiric traits are portrayed.

But I can only comments on the novels I've read, which where vampires are concerned is mainly Paranormal Romance.

Although another outside of this genre has just sprung to mind: Twelve, a tail of hired vampire assasins who are recruited by the Russians to fight against the invasions of Napoleans army. It has a fairly new sequal called: Thirteen Years Later, which I've yet to get my hands on. But it has bog-standard vamps, drink blood, convert humans they don't drain and sleep in coffins or coffinesq type boxes, burn in sunlight, die from staking etc etc
Old 08-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Bree Bree3195 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 2
Send a message via MSN to Bree Bree3195

@ W.G

Really? I love it too, and honestly it is my favorite. I am waiting to buy Spirit Bound.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147

RedLorry: I always love vampire romances, but, currently I have a lot of books on my 'to read' shelf at home. So, I want to begin reading some of those books before moving on to another vampire series. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll definitely consider them.

Bree: Yes, I honestly love all of the books. Spirit Bound came out a couple of months ago. Since I'm such a geek, I pre-ordered it in October so then I would get it when it came out. It was a great book, as well as all the other books in the series.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Morechoiriel (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 29
Send a message via AIM to Morechoiriel

I am just reading a new vampire book right now called "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. It's really good, and even though I haven't finished it quite yet I would recommend it. Especially if you are looking for a good scary vamp book.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:43 PM
JBStone (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 50

WG, you mentioned earlier that you read that publishers aren't looking for vampires, but don't distress at that. They "haven't been looking for vampires" since before the Twilight Saga, and look at what happened there.

Forget what they're looking for or not looking for. If your story is good, someone will buy it.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147

Thanks for the words of encouragement, JB. I appreciate it.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Lorry, you'll love Mieville.
My friend is buying me this as a belated birthday present!!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Mister URL

Is this an opinion poll on who likes vampire stories? If so, I only like the ones that get fried by the sun hitting them like the movie "From Dusk Till Dawn". Nice vampire slaying there. Now those were vampires you could love.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Redlorry

They were very funny vampires in that film, lol. Quentin Tarantino made quite a fetching vamp! Better than his human form, lol
Old 08-18-2010, 02:21 PM
JBStone (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 50

QT does everything well, including vampires.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Nemesis (Offline)
That Beautiful Insanity

Thanks 87

Since most of you here are mentioning other Vamp reads and are into the mythos of Vampires, an interesting non-fiction read is Food for the Dead: On the Trail of New England's Vampires by Michael E Bell which is a study of American Folk stories. Neat stuff. Might inspire a different take on the whole thing for a fledgling Vampire Novelist.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nemesis For This Useful Post:
areilla10 (08-19-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147

Thanks for the recommendation, Nemesis.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:32 AM
areilla10 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 4

Thanks for the recommendation, Nemesis. I have heard of this old tradition before. Interesting stuff.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Lois (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0

Yes, you can. Just because some people wrote a Vampire novel, it doesn't mean you can't. Just make sure you spice it up. I don't believe that anyone's going to want to read a story that's along the same lines of all those other books that are being published. Girl falls in love with vampire then variation on ending. Make it awesome.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147

Thanks, Lois.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Secret (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via MSN to Secret Send a message via Skype™ to Secret

I HATE VAMPIRES. Damn, it is the most played-out and overused topic on the market today. When I see a vampire novel all I can think is that the author couldn't think of anything else to write. Yeah, I know. That's not true for everyone, but still. Sad thing is, the novel I'm reading now consist of Vampires.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:16 AM
Casper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 98

Originally Posted by Secret View Post
I HATE VAMPIRES. Damn, it is the most played-out and overused topic on the market today. When I see a vampire novel all I can think is that the author couldn't think of anything else to write. Yeah, I know. That's not true for everyone, but still. Sad thing is, the novel I'm reading now consist of Vampires.
There you go then WG. People who like vampires read vampire books. People who don't like vampires...read vampire books. You can't lose.

Last edited by Casper; 08-25-2010 at 04:18 AM..
Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 AM
JBStone (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 50

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
There you go then WG. People who like vampires read vampire books. People who don't like vampires...read vampire books. You can't lose.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Secret (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 58

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
.......but, , and I do so with the nastiest attitude. If the synop says it contains a vampire, I won't read it. You have to sneak them in.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Originally Posted by Secret View Post
.......but, , and I do so with the nastiest attitude. If the synop says it contains a vampire, I won't read it. You have to sneak them in.

Like sneaky little ninja vampires.

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 08-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Redlorry

Vampires are fight fodder in my novel

Look what I got today!!

Vampireology
Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147

Oh! I saw that book the other day in Borders, RedLorry. I was considering purchasing it when I decide to write my vampire novel. Have you started to read it yet? Was it worth the money?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Redlorry

It's very well made, I bought my children the mondter one. You can get them about Dragons, Pirates and all sorts.

It has little samples of things used to kill vampires, letters and photos (pretend of course) and tips on killing vampires.

It uncovers suspected famous vampires from history such as Vlad the Impaler and Jack the Ripper.

I only flicked through it on the train yesterday. But as I am into Vampire Lore I thought it was a must have for my library.

If you are writing about vampires I would think, even though it's really aimed at a markert for older children it will have plenty of invaluable information.

Also it's just a very nice looking book to have adorning your shelf. I intend to get the whole collection, as in my case the pirate ones etc. will be very handy if my children have school projects.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Secret (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 58

We have one of the ology books at my job. Oceanology.

Vlad the Impaler. He's the vamp that Gena ninja'ed into her Intertwined series. But he was killed. Didn't have any lines either.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues