WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

“The other Obsession” Comment thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682
Default “The other Obsession” Comment thread

All comments and question in regards to the contest should go here.

Also Congratulation to singphantom7, Dogen and Tuhrail, last season’s winners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:43 PM
JSchwartzkopf (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 14
Icon14

I can't believe that I'm stuck here, having this conversation. You doctors spend your entire day dealing with love, and you call it "obsession" and "imbalance". Am I mentally unbalanced for believing in true, unconditional love?

It's a sad world we live in, where people can't understand love. I told the lady in the ambulance that I didn't want it reattached because it was a gift. She looked at me like I had crabs crawling out my ears! She couldn't get her head around the logic.

It's really simple; true love transcends all things. Even gender! Damon has a poet's soul, and he sees things that most people can't comprehend. When he sees the world's pain, he can make it sweet with his voice. He understands how because of his talent and perspective. Really, all I had to do is get his attention! I mean, any ignorant skank can throw dirty underwear on stage. They'd do it for anyone. I'm the only one who showed real devotion, there. After all, God only gives you two pinkies.

I looked right in his eyes, and I know that he understood. We have to keep up appearances for his career, of course. The restraining order, and all that. But when he goes to sleep at night, he knows that he's reached at least one person, now. I'm out there, and I really understand.

The best part about it, though? I haven't had to wash my hands more than once at a time, since. Not seven times, not twice. The same thing with the doors opening. I think of that finger, in the box in my room, and I know that I'm okay. I'll give it to him, someday. The compulsions were just a crutch, and true love heals.

It heals everything.
That is a twisted tale, CrookedPath. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSchwartzkopf For This Useful Post:
TheCrookedPath (05-03-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Oh, man! That was seriously twisted, just like jschwartzkopf said! There isn't any other way to describe it!

But it's good. Very good! Nicely done, TheCrookedPath!

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
The Following User Says Thank You to Gwyndolin For This Useful Post:
TheCrookedPath (05-03-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 AM
eez (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 24

JSchwatzkopf's entry is great.

Atmosphere and emotions captured perfectly.

The smoking/sniper scenario is well known: First light you get the sniper's attention, second light they get their range, third light they shoot.

In the British Army, nobody would ever have the third strike from a box of matches or the third flick of a lighter without moving twenty yards away.

I would be interested to know if the author has ever had a gun fired at him, or her, and had to fire one back; I have and it can be awful.

The work is not the sort of thing I'd normally read, but I was wholly impressed.
The Following User Says Thank You to eez For This Useful Post:
JSchwartzkopf (06-01-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 01:56 PM
bobbedford (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by eez View Post
I like to wash my hands. Why would anyone have a problem with that? Apparently, however, some do.

Is it so wrong to wash your hands every twenty minutes? I don’t think it is.

People ask me why I wash my hands every twenty minutes. Well, why do they think I wash my hands? Why does anyone wash his or her hands? It’s a stupid question that I never answer.

Frankly, I wish people would leave me alone. I wish they would just let me get on with things.

I live on my own and I’m happy to live on my own. So, why do I have to put up with people visiting me and asking me how I am? The fact I’m happy to live on my own should, you’d think, give an indication as to how I want to live my life. But, still they visit.

If I endure a visitor for more than an hour, the visitor will see me wash my hands three times. Invariably, the visitor will say that I’m obsessed with cleanliness. I tell the visitor that I’m not.

How could I possibly have a fixation with cleanliness? My room is both dirty and untidy. I like it that way. If I started to clean everything, I’d have to carry on cleaning everything; too much work.

I’m not a big fan of work. I once worked fairly regularly, but it was messy work. These days, I’m not allowed to work.

People say I should do more with my life. What more could I do? I’m happy, and washing my hands can be very time-consuming; which leaves little time for other things.

I am not obsessed with washing my hands. For me, washing my hands is vital, but it’s not an infatuation; it’s a necessity.

Actually, I did, many years ago, have an obsession: I liked to work with people. But, they put a stop to that.

As for washing my hands, how else can I remove the blood?
Sounds just like me...
Old 05-31-2011, 09:52 AM
prophet (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 6

Pvt. Jung is so far my favorite.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:51 PM
TheCrookedPath (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 33

As much as I'd like to talk up my own humble work, I have to say that Chris' entry is my favorite. That's one hell of a bit of storytelling.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests