WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Spring Contest Comment thread - Unknown Memories

Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682
Default Spring Contest Comment thread - Unknown Memories

Please leave all comments in regard to the Spring Contest, Unknown Memories, in this thread. This thread is for both the poetry and for the prose contest.

Good luck to you all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 AM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

hi,

I have a question that in "Prose" category, one is free to write in any format?
like it could be anything like story, script, blog or whatever ... and we only need to cover the title "Unknown Memories" ... right?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

You can choose any stile you want as long as it fits under Prose, the only limit is that it cannot be longer than 2000 words, and that it is obviously not Poetry or poetry related (such as lyrics) and that it is your own work. Unknown Memories is not even the title, but the theme, to help inspire people, and to also have a liking subject, we often get quite diverse interpretations of our themes, so have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:02 PM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

I see ... just a theme! well won't it be little hard for voters to judge amongst those diverse pieces of work? I mean hard as in .. do you think everyone will justify it that the stuff comes under the theme and whose was best fit and well-written?

I am sorry if am asking too much :$ just felt like asking .. plus have no clue how good this kind of things has been done here .. so just wondering
anyway thank
s
Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Sometimes it is hard, but that is also part of the challenge, who writes the better story, who has the best or different interpretation of the theme and so on. Also, if there are more than a few entries people get more than one vote, so they can vote for their favourite two (or three if there are more tan twelve entries). Sometimes it is harder to see how a particular story fits the theme, I have seen entries where I could not see the theme, but that was ok, as different people see things differently, let the theme inspire you and see where it takes you.

No need to apologies, we are here to help.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Originally Posted by Tau View Post
Sometimes it is hard, but that is also part of the challenge, who writes the better story, who has the best or different interpretation of the theme and so on. Also, if there are more than a few entries people get more than one vote, so they can vote for their favourite two (or three if there are more tan twelve entries). Sometimes it is harder to see how a particular story fits the theme, I have seen entries where I could not see the theme, but that was ok, as different people see things differently, let the theme inspire you and see where it takes you.

No need to apologies, we are here to help.
okie @ multiple votes ... that would definitely help 'cause sometime it really gets hard to decide specially if the two has 2 different flavor ... but that sounds strange when you said "couldn't see the theme" ... even after giving the writer a vast spectrum, this thing is negligible? means we should feel free in fact : )
Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

We like to keep an open theme, so as to encourage a diverse result. Sometimes writers get inspiration from the theme but then the story takes its own turn as it is written, obscuring the original theme, and in such case it is hard to see the theme, but it is still valid as it inspired the author to write what he or she did.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 PM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

hmm okie ... like an encouraging temperament
Thanks
Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Morechoiriel (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 29
Send a message via AIM to Morechoiriel

Me first!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 AM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Hey one more question;

I guess there's no rule (if it's not understood) that the piece of work we are going to post in the competition should be posted (on forum) for the first time! right?
like no compulsion of stuff (for competition) to be totally "new" on forum.

Besides telling the technical answer to this question, do suggest (personal view) as well that what's better? like the stuff we have already posted would do better for readers or a totally new stuff will attract them more?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

I am not entirely sure what your question is, as it is rather convoluted, but from the gist I take it that your question is, do entered pieces have to be new? No they do not, though I would hope that they are as I hope they were written after being inspired by the theme, or if not inspired still written for the contest.
There is nothing stopping you posting your work on the elsewhere on the forum first for feedback, but it is rarely done.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 AM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125

Comments on Coffee Memories (prose) by Morechoiriel:

My first impressions are on your narrative character, Jimmy. (actually, you managed to make me love all three characters in the short short amount of words you wrote about them). I loved his innocense and paranoia. As a coffee obssessed writer, the scene was both amusing and poignant. Something I could relate to.

Good job with catching my interest in the first lines and managing to keep it throughout. It made me laugh and had an easy flow. Especially the dialogue. Nice job.

I guess an accident seemed likely and a bit predictable, but it didn't take away from the piece for me. You did such a good job with writing it well, and related it to the theme nicely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to singphantom7 For This Useful Post:
Morechoiriel (01-26-2011), Tau (01-28-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 AM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

I am not entirely sure what your question is, as it is rather convoluted, but from the gist I take it that your question is, do entered pieces have to be new? No they do not, though I would hope that they are as I hope they were written after being inspired by the theme, or if not inspired still written for the contest.
There is nothing stopping you posting your work on the elsewhere on the forum first for feedback, but it is rarely done.
okay thanks .. yeah that's what I meant to ask that do people post the stuff for review (to make some necessary changes) before submitting in competition or not.
And I will go with the idea that it should be new to readers. No prior feedback from the people who are going to judge it for the contest.

I would suggest the administration though to consider this fact as to keep it as a Rule for contest from next time. Just a suggestion : )
Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Originally Posted by fun2learn View Post
I would suggest the administration though to consider this fact as to keep it as a Rule for contest from next time. Just a suggestion : )
Why?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:40 AM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Why?
As I mentioned above, although it's just my point of view, that whatever we accept as a piece of work for any contest, should be totally one's own talent and skills. Not something after having a second opinion/any sort of help/correction from members or contestant might already know what most of the members loved. Gettin' me?

Just like as we say, "No Editing once it's been submitted" ... same way shouldn't all the pieces of contest be totally new to forum!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

So you think that we should take away a young aspiring writers chance at winning, just because he or she cannot write as well as others who have written longer, even though he or she might be just as inspired by the theme? How is that good for the community, or the spirit of helping fellow writers improve themselves?
Yes most never post there entree elsewhere for help, because most have enough confidence or skill, and some might post it for critique after, just top learn, but that is not a reason to deny some the chance of doing well?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:15 AM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125

Comments for Tick Tock (prose) by Peter172

I really loved the creativity in this idea, and the conversational tone of the writing was good, especially in the opening paragraph. But it's after the opening paragraph (after he is transported) where I started to find myself re-reading sentences and trying to figure out what was going on.

I know it is a fantastical, unreal tale about a cursed clock, but the pace is so fast and you squeaze so much into these few 2,000 words. For instance, I couldn't figure out why there was a fire, or where the forest was. I guess it was by the bar since he made his way back, but was there a reason there was a fire? Or was it just part of the magic?

One thing I did love is your use of language to explain the action (which there was a lot of. Like here:

After what seemed an eternity, suffering from the convulsive puking, which made the pain in my back seem as fresh as the moment of impact, I was finally able to regain my feet and survey my surroundings with a somewhat clear head.

Just a good bit of writing that stands out to me. It sounds raw and real.

As far as theme goes, I can see how it relates. And good job again, on taking a creative twist with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to singphantom7 For This Useful Post:
Peter172 (03-01-2011), Tau (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 PM
fun2learn (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

So you think that we should take away a young aspiring writers chance at winning, just because he or she cannot write as well as others who have written longer, even though he or she might be just as inspired by the theme? How is that good for the community, or the spirit of helping fellow writers improve themselves?
Yes most never post there entree elsewhere for help, because most have enough confidence or skill, and some might post it for critique after, just top learn, but that is not a reason to deny some the chance of doing well?
No! not that way ... I was seeing it as umm well how will you justify that only the young aspiring writers will take helps from others to make their work better in any way and not any other old writer?
This aspect can be use tactfully by the writers and most probably not by naive ones.

well I am not totally against your way neither saying that everyone would definitely post it first for critique ... I wanted to see things totally fair just as we don't allow Editing.
Tell me why Editing not allowed in any contest? I believe it's for the reason that the writer has to do her/his best just before s/he hits the "submit" and once it's done, it's done. So I was talking just in that context : )

P.S: I just wanted to explain/clear my point so I said what I said above ... it's nothing like I am arguing over your point. I respect that.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

No worries, have a

Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Webb (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 10

Really appreciated 'Coffee Memories'. Predictable 'accident' ending, but other than that, thought it was really very enjoyable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Webb For This Useful Post:
Morechoiriel (02-23-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 09:45 PM
write_on (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default comments for coffee memories

I was hooked into the story immediately. The descriptions were vivid and I could feel your characters' emotions. I was a little stunned by the description of the coffee now looking like "a dirty toilet bowl"; I don't know if I have ever seen one quite that dirty. I did not think the ending was as predictable as others seemed to think. Thanks for the story.
Morechoiriel (02-23-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 09:54 PM
write_on (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Ramona

I loved this story! Some people describe things very well and others use their descriptions to make a permanent impression on you. You do the latter. I loved the description of the comparison between the book and the hands in the sunlight. I was young with your character and I was old with her. I lived the same fairy tales that she did and they are unkown memories for me also; and Aunt Johanna is quite a mystery! Thank you for your story.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:12 PM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125
Default The Book, by Ramona

This was a very enjoyable and well written piece. You have a way with description that is detailed and poetic. I read the story a long while ago and am just now getting to do my comments. I have re-read it a couple of times becuase though I love the writing, I am left confused by a couple of things:

Why the change from third person to first then back again to third? I see you go into first person when you start the flashback. Though the flashback was enchanting to me, I was a bit confused when you slipped out of first back into third at the end. But eventually I got it. Just wondering why you did that?

I love the description of the "Aunt" and how she came out of nowhere. Would have liked a bit more on that, a bit more info that would help solve the mystery of her for us. Becuase she was just a bit too mysterious for me..I just wanted to know (:

I enjoyed reading.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Peter172 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by singphantom7 View Post
Comments for Tick Tock (prose) by Peter172

I really loved the creativity in this idea, and the conversational tone of the writing was good, especially in the opening paragraph. But it's after the opening paragraph (after he is transported) where I started to find myself re-reading sentences and trying to figure out what was going on.

I know it is a fantastical, unreal tale about a cursed clock, but the pace is so fast and you squeaze so much into these few 2,000 words. For instance, I couldn't figure out why there was a fire, or where the forest was. I guess it was by the bar since he made his way back, but was there a reason there was a fire? Or was it just part of the magic?

One thing I did love is your use of language to explain the action (which there was a lot of. Like here:

After what seemed an eternity, suffering from the convulsive puking, which made the pain in my back seem as fresh as the moment of impact, I was finally able to regain my feet and survey my surroundings with a somewhat clear head.

Just a good bit of writing that stands out to me. It sounds raw and real.

As far as theme goes, I can see how it relates. And good job again, on taking a creative twist with it.
Thanks for the feedback, I was trying to squeeze a lot of story into 2000 words, and I was trying to give a feel for the disorientation of being teleported into the forest. Perhaps I succeeded a little too well on the disorientation.
"Crom!" his mighty shoulders twitched. "A murrain of these wizardly feuds! Pelias has dealt well with me, but I care not if I see him no more. Give me a clean sword and a clean foe to flesh it in. Damnation! What would I not give for a flagon of wine!" --Robert E. Howard (The Scarlet Citadel, 1933)
Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 AM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125
Default Those White Stones, by Webb

Really enjoyed this short and sweet piece. It rang true to me, and probably most anyone who has ever had a terrible relationship end. My favorite lines:

"What annoys me most though is that it could have been anything. It could have been 'bring your own hands along', and I'm pretty convinced that you would have cut them off before you got here, just to defy me. Again."

I am a tad bit unclear about what the white stones are supposed to be, or represent. But I think I can still get the gist of the story without having to wrap my mind around that specific info. I also loved the way you described the face at the end--a very haunting description of what such a relationship can do to you. And the little repetative dig at the end with the photograph--clever.

The Following User Says Thank You to singphantom7 For This Useful Post:
Webb (03-10-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM
jessihitti (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 7
Send a message via MSN to jessihitti

Ok so I am new at this contest thing, so I was wondering where do we post. Like morechoiriel had a post that everyone is commenting on but I can't seem to find it.
Please help!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Contest submissions are made in their respective threads, so Prose goes in the Prose thread and Poetry in the Poetry thread, so the post that everybody is commenting on will be found in the prose thread. There is a link to the two submission threads in the opening post in this thread.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 PM
jessihitti (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 7
Send a message via MSN to jessihitti

Ok ha sorry, has soon as I finished typing that question I went browsing around sure enough I found it.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:13 AM
AnthonyJones (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

I have a question. . . what exactly is prose and can our submission be about anything? Like any kind of plot?
The ability to do something isn’t concluded by our age and experience but by our ambition to want something. Any man can succeed if they put their mind to it, no matter how large and complicated the quest.” - - -Anthony Jones
Old 03-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Prose an explanation, so stories and so on, your submission should be on the Theme of Unknown Memories, but beyond that it is up to you.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests