WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Help With A Paranormal Investigation; The Road Troll Project

Old 08-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Uath (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 11
Default Help With A Paranormal Investigation; The Road Troll Project

Have you seen the Road Troll?

The Long Purple Road

_________

The Road Troll is part urban legend, part ghost story, and part real-life mystery. If my description of this wandering enigma sounds suspiciously detailed, let me say that I am speaking from personal experience. I have seen the Road Troll. Like most of us who have seen him, I didnít know who he was until later. Now that I know who he is, I doubt if Iíll ever see him again. Thatís the way of these types of things.

My story is so similar to others that it can serve as a blueprint for Road Troll sightings. Details differ, but the basic story stays the same.

It was a winter night. There was a steady rain falling. It was a nasty night, cold wet, and windy. My wife and I had been out and I was taking our two babysitters home. We were miles from town, in an area with few houses. Walking along the side of the road was one of the most ominous figures Iíve ever seen.

He was obviously an interstate drifter. He had the look that only they have. Thereís no mistaking it. He was young, but not too young, late 20ís, early 30ís. Very stocky and thick-set, he had a thick, scruffy black beard; a hat pulled low, a pack, and layers of grungy, bulky clothing. I seem to remember an olive-green army coat. Most of all, I remember the cast and crutch.

He labored along, making no attempt at hitch-hiking, with one leg in a large, dingy cast. He was helped with a single crutch. It was a miserable scene; he was obviously struggling and his cast was in alarming condition. One would almost be inclined to offer him a rideÖalmost. The menace seemed to roll off of him like a cloud. His bearded face was fixed into a grimace, glaring with madness. He projected weirdness with a loudspeaker, strange beyond imagining.

The babysitters and I talked about him the whole way back. Iím not a prude and Iím not shocked by drifters, we see them all the time on our stretch of highway. This one made an impression.

Later on, I learned that heís been seen all over the country. The details are always the same; young, heavily bearded, dirty layered clothing, and injured. Truck drivers, who stay connected with CB radios, reportedly tracked his movements. They were incredible, he would be seen in places hundreds of miles apart, in impossible periods of time.

Itís not always his leg, sometimes heís seen with his arm in a cast. In an outbreak of sightings in Texas, he was described as missing a leg, with an old-fashoned ďpegĒ as a replacement. He looks like a drifter, but he never hitchhikes. He never speaks just glares, always the overpowering aura of madness and menace.

Heís always seen walking down the highways in bad weather, storms, wind, and rain. Heís a pitiful figure, but nobody stops, not once they get closerÖ

Have you seen the Road Troll? Iím using this page as a clearing-house for Road Troll sightings and stories. Drop me an e-mail. You donít have to give your name, but I will use your story on this page. Put ďRoad TrollĒ in the subject line:

ghastlydoor@hotmail.com

Photographs and article © Will Jacques 2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:37 AM
helenfrancine (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I don't think our roads are big enough for road Trolls, not where I live anyway. We do have a lot of back roads, most of them only single track with high hedges either side, at night the knarled trees can cast some very sinister shadows.

One such night was very much like yours Uath, the wind was blowing a hooley, the rain was coming down like stair rods and the darkness on these unlit roads was blacker than your hat.

Turning the corner my head lights caught something small in their beam. My hair prickled at the back of my neck as I tried to make sense of what I was seeing. Snapping my attention back to the road I said nothing until we were a couple of miles further on.

"Did you see something back there?" I was trying to sound matter of fact. My now ex husband turned to me and nodded.

"What did you see?" I cautiously went on.

"It looked like a doll, but, but it was standing of its on accord. He shook his head and looked ahead.

"Well I don't know what it was but I didn't like it, I'm feeling a bit freaked out by it." He simply nodded again seemingly lost in thought.

We spent the rest of the journey in silence both trying to make sense of what we had both seen.

I don't to this day know what it was. I do know it was standing of its own free will, it was about 12" high and seemed to be wearing bright colours.

Why it induced such a feeling of fear is another mystery, I have in the past seen some strange things and have never felt such a feeling of dread as I did when I saw this thing.

H
Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 AM
helenfrancine (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Ooops I forgot to say being a Cornish maid that paragraph two might not make much sense to some. Translations are free if required...H

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction