WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Epic Fantasy - Races and creatures

Old 08-21-2017, 03:56 AM
HesteN (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 3
Icon5 Epic Fantasy - Races and creatures

Greetings!

I'm currently working on an epic fantasy which will revolve around humans as the primary characters, but I can't decide exactly how wide I want to take the actual "Fantasy".

To me, there three types of fantasy books;

First, the ones such as George RR Martin's series which all the characters are humans, and there are no elves or goblins etc. But there are of course dragons, and even some magicians - which makes the basic fantasy that I usually prefer. Pretty much medieval but includes dragon and to some aspects magic.

Second, the Tolkien books which includes all of the above but also elves, orcs, giant spiders and so forth.

And third, the more expanded fantasy universes which pretty much has no boundaries, there can be any kind of mixture between creatures or completely made up, giving the greatest room for creativity but also in my opinion kind of becomes too much.

Usually i prefer the first sort, but if done right the second can be just as great. But I would like to hear what my fellow writers would prefer to read - what kind of fantasy is the most exciting to you when picking up a new book? I would love to hear why as well, but a simple pick will do as well!

Bonus question: If you were to read a book of the first kind, imagine reading the last book of George RR Martin, and the heroes had traveled to another continent which previously were undiscovered, and all of a sudden elves or centaurs appeared - would you be disappointed? Mad? Excited?

I'm considering such a twist perhaps in a sequel, but I'm afraid that wouldn't be appreciated because I don't think I would like it myself if it happened in Martins books. Anyway, still curious to hear what other writers/readers think!

Best regards,
HesteN

Old 08-21-2017, 04:00 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,014

Sorry dude - just ain't my thang.

Good luck with it.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:21 AM
K.S. Crooks (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

If more fantasy-type creatures appear in a sequel, to stay in the same tone of the first book it would help if a few of the creatures or their land/region was mentioned in some fashion in the first book. It could be a story, legend, speaking to someone who had seen them, a dead body or skeleton are a few options. In GoT dragons are thought to be extinct and White Walkers are thought to be tall tales before they are actually seen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to K.S. Crooks For This Useful Post:
HesteN (09-03-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Chinspinner (Online)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 16

I think blacks are under-represented.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:19 AM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 13

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
I think blacks are under-represented.
Are you saying black people are fantastical creatures? Lol jk I know what you mean. Most fantasy stories are very Eurocentric; mine won't be, I want the entire world involved in the plot.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:20 AM
SecretDurham (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 4

Being a huge fan of Tolkien, my choice would be the second mixed with elements of the third.

However, I also started to write a Fantasy Novel which had the usual tropes of Men, Elves and Dwarves. The problems I had was designing creatures to fill this world. The plot I have, but creatures... That was another thing altogether. While I have created some that feel unique to my tale, they may be similar to stuff from other books. I don't read too much fantasy, including G.R.RMartin's medieval drama.

I hope you manage to create something great, while not sacrificing too much of what makes fantasy wonderful. World building is also quite a feat at times. Back story and Histories are another headache I hope you surpass with ease.

All the best in this endeavour!

SecretDurham
Old 09-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Nisaba (Offline)
Let me introduce myself

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by HesteN View Post
Bonus question: If you were to read a book of the first kind, imagine reading the last book of George RR Martin, and the heroes had traveled to another continent which previously were undiscovered, and all of a sudden elves or centaurs appeared - would you be disappointed? Mad? Excited?
If there are absolutely no mentions of elves and centaurs in a story and suddenly those beings appeared, as a reader I would feel confused and a little cheated. IMO, it sounds like a cheap move to shock the audience. However, if you allude to their existence (similar to what K.S said above -- have a character find the remains or incorporate it into your world's mythology), it can possibly work.

I personally enjoy your first idea, a cast of humans. Also, there are many societies and cultures you can easily pull from to make your world unique (instead of adding goblins and elves and orcs). Fantasy doesn't always have to be faux medieval England (which I assume is what you're basing it on, as you mentioned GRRM). Hell, if you want to stick to the medieval period, it would be a breath of fresh air to read about a world based on medieval Arabia or Russia... anything not inspired by Western Europe.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues