WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

The Scorpion and the Frog

Old 01-10-2006, 08:42 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4
The Scorpion and the Frog

A scorpion and a frog met on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asked the frog to carry him across on its back.

The frog said, "How do I know you won't sting me?"

The scorpion answered, "If I do, I will die too."

The frog is satisfied and they set out, but in mid-stream the scorpion stung the frog. The frog felt the onset of paralysis and started to sink, knowing they both will drown. He had just enough time to gasp "Why?"

The scorpion replied: "It's my nature."

This strange tale from Aesop's Fables isn't really about animals. It's a comment on human behavior from a writer who lived in ancient Greece 2,600 years ago.

I'm curious to see how forum members will answer these 3 questions about the meaning of the story:

(1)What was Aesop saying about the character of people who behave like the scorpion?

(2)Is character and human nature the same thing?

(3)Why did the frog believe the scorpion's explanation of why he would not sting him?

Old 01-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Dalton (Offline)
Half Man, Half Amazing
Official Member

Thanks 14
Send a message via AIM to Dalton Send a message via Yahoo to Dalton

Originally Posted by starrwriter
(1)What was Aesop saying about the character of people who behave like the scorpion?
My feeling is he was basically saying that bad people will do bad things even if they hurt themselves in the process.

(2)Is character and human nature the same thing?
I don't think so. Character is who you are as an individual, human nature it more like taking people as a whole and generalizing.

(3)Why did the frog believe the scorpion's explanation of why he would not sting him?
To me, he was doing what a lot of people don't do anymore, he was giving him the benefit of the doubt believing that he won't kill himself to kill a frog.

Good thread! Just fun and thought provoking.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:26 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Dalton
My feeling is he was basically saying that bad people will do bad things even if they hurt themselves in the process.
I think Aesop recognized the fact that all people have a dark side. The scorpion was just an extreme example.

Character is who you are as an individual, human nature it more like taking people as a whole and generalizing.
Character is fate. Can't recall what author wrote that, but it strikes me as true.

I agree with you about "human nature" being a generalization. The human race doesn't exist in reality, it's a metaphysical concept. Individuals exist and they're all different in some respects.

To me, he was doing what a lot of people don't do anymore, he was giving him the benefit of the doubt believing that he won't kill himself to kill a frog.
Yeah, giving the benefit of the doubt is pretty rare nowadays. People are so afraid of getting burned they usually assume the other guy is up to no good.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library