WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

The Max Crash memorial Donald Trump thread!

Old 04-14-2016, 03:27 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

but he's a different kind of candidate
Oh, he's different, all right. Pfft. Women should get punished for getting an abortion after being raped by some jerk who shouldn't be punished at all. What kind of bull shit is that?? (Granted the person who does the act generally gets punished anyway for the act itself. But that seems to be what he's implying, there. And yes, I realize that's not the only time women get abortions.)

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:44 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 357

Again, candidates will not (even if they could) follow through on everything they say. Trump says some dumb things but I would rather he do that, and be somewhat believable, than speak in vague generalities and lie. And maybe he says some of those things just to get your goat.

Either way, if he were elected President, I doubt he'd be spending a lot of time worrying about who gets an abortion. Sometimes you have to work with someone who holds different opinions, just to get the job done. Maybe this is one of those times.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Devon (04-14-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

POV on Trump on Abortion - he made that statement shortly after he was graced by God with a grandchild. Perhaps he saw that baby and thought "Hey, there might be something to this bringing new life to earth".

What is interesting is how Trump "sucked the air out of the Republican Tent" and sidelined the Jeb Bushes and Marco Polo Rubios of the party establishment.

What the Trump Candidacy also did was limit some of the other "outside the establishment " candidacies like Dr. Randall Paul's abortive attempt.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:12 AM
Binx B

Naturally. That's one of the first things I thought of when the nurse put our newborn baby in my arms—women who have had abortions should be punished.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:30 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 357

As crowded as the world is today, you'd think those having babies would thank the women having abortions for providing an extra slot.

Not that kind of slot, Kristijan.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
Old 04-15-2016, 03:55 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

There is usually some kind of exemption(s) to a law, generally.

I can't see a rape victim getting punished for aborting. And I'd say I'm pro-life, but there are circumstances that may require abortion.

Last edited by Bagit; 04-15-2016 at 04:00 PM..
Old 04-16-2016, 12:02 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 152

I prefer Doug Stanhope's view of abortion.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:15 PM
Binx B

Boy, that's a piece of low hanging fruit. But I better not...
Old 04-17-2016, 04:40 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Originally Posted by Binx B View Post
Naturally. That's one of the first things I thought of when the nurse put our newborn baby in my arms—women who have had abortions should be punished.
You are correct. When I held my children for the very first time the thought of abortion one way or another didn't cross my mind.

It could very well have been another tRUMP blast toward whatever end, perhaps trying to steal evangelical votes.

I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, which on some forums is a dicey business.

I did like what he "moderated" his stance - to a 10th amendment stance and putting the decision back to the states.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:14 AM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 125

Just that moment, or do you think that all the time?
Old 04-22-2016, 06:25 AM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 125

Originally Posted by Bagit View Post
And I'd say I'm pro-life, but there are circumstances that may require abortion.
Aside from rape or medical necessity, what would you say they are?

Lets say your daughter made a stupid drunk mistake at a party and ends up pregnant by some vaguely-remembered quarterback. Let's say she's 14. Should she have to raise a child she doesn't want to just to punish her for being stupid?

Or say she makes the same mistake later, just before starting her Harvard Law degree. Trash her career as punishment?

There are many reasons for abortions, and few women will do it lightly and without soul-searching, and few will do it without suffering anquish after, but it's generally men who make the proclamations about something that doesn't affect anything other than their sense of moral outrage.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:18 AM
Binx B

As a vaguely-remembered quarterback, I am deeply offended by your comments.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Binx B

Originally Posted by wyf View Post
Just that moment, or do you think that all the time?
No, not all the time. When my kids are really getting on my nerves, I'm thinking that women who have abortions should be rewarded.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:12 AM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 125

As a vaguely-remembered quarterback, I am deeply offended by your comments.
I thought you seemed familiar. Vaguely!
Old 04-25-2016, 10:04 AM
Binx B

Originally Posted by wyf View Post
I thought you seemed familiar. Vaguely!
Probably not. Truth is, I was a placekicker (the guy in American football who kicks the ball between the goal posts) and not a very good one. It didn't exactly make me a chick magnet.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

at this point I'd like to thank Trump, and to a smaller extent Bernie Sanders for bringing to light that in the primaries, the people voting might have less say in the outcome than the party bosses.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:14 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

Lets say your daughter made a stupid drunk mistake at a party and ends up pregnant by some vaguely-remembered quarterback. Let's say she's 14. Should she have to raise a child she doesn't want to just to punish her for being stupid?

Or say she makes the same mistake later, just before starting her Harvard Law degree. Trash her career as punishment?
Giving the baby up for adoption is an alternative in these examples.

But, looking at it as her father, I might opt for the abortion if she was 14.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagit For This Useful Post:
wyf (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 04:05 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

Is it true Trump won all thirteen original colonies in the Republican primaries?
Old 04-28-2016, 10:46 PM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 125

Originally Posted by Bagit View Post
Giving the baby up for adoption is an alternative in these examples.

But, looking at it as her father, I might opt for the abortion if she was 14.
I don't mean to beat you about the head with my feminist stick, but take a whack anyway.

Whack!

You don't opt for anything. Nobody's going to be putting you in the stirrups or probing you.

You would opt to accept and support her decision. That's what you meant to say, isn't it?

And if you love your daughter and you consider her to be a real person, not an accessory, you accept that she is capable of making that decision whether she's 14 or 40.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:49 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

Just to mention again , never mind , mind your business - Come on Donald Trump you got to win !!!
Old 05-05-2016, 12:28 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 152

Looks like he's won the Republican ticket. But I'm not sensing much enthusiasm from the party. And nobody seems keen to be his running mate.

So, it'll be another Clinton in the Whitehouse?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:20 AM
CandraH

I'm still totally confused as to why people in America are taking Donald Trump seriously as a possible president. I'm also confused about the hate for Hilary Clinton and also why people don't take Bernie Sanders seriously as a possible president.

Its all very illogical and strange. Have you guys started taking drugs enmasse?
Old 05-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 357

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
...Its all very illogical and strange. Have you guys started taking drugs enmasse?
Eh, Candra? You've heard of the Sixties? Some of these people are on the third and fourth generation of enmasse drug consumption.

Which could explain our politics.

I don't understand the obsession with candidates for President. I believe it's all just a circus, something to entertain us and keep us occupied, while letting us feel as if we're part something important. It gives us the false impression that we have a choice; that we can actually influence the pre-set course of this nations politics by making our insignificant little mark on an insignificant little piece of paper.

Like any wishes of ours are going to be acted upon by the person supposedly voted in by the majority.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahaha

My sides hurt.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

I've got interested in one topic above about predictions and I've read one that the last president of America will be an African American man..:-)
Old 05-06-2016, 03:17 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

Whack!
*Ouch!*

Okay, okay! Actually there would be three opinions, I'm sure. Ultimately I'd lose out to the wife's and daughter's decision, yes.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

I'm still totally confused as to why people in America are taking Donald Trump seriously as a possible president. I'm also confused about the hate for Hilary Clinton and also why people don't take Bernie Sanders seriously as a possible president.

Its all very illogical and strange. Have you guys started taking drugs enmasse?

Hillary's track record as SOS, especially the results from her middle east meddling is terrible. That's just taking a small slice.

What do you think Hillary has to offer, Candra, that we should put her into the executives office?

On the other hand, I've seen/heard tRUMP make some very non buffoonish statements.

And he has a grasp of some of problems the US faces that non of the others address.

Border Security
Size of Government
National Debt (Yay, we just added another trillion in debt in the last six months)

I hope Ben Carson is correct and that tRUMP picks James Webb as his VP/Running Mate. That would give fit's of apoplexy on both sides of the aisle.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:39 AM
CandraH

What is SOS?

I didn't make my post to furnish an opinion on a US presidential candidate. I said I'm confused why you guys hate Hillary Clinton, don't take Bernie Sanders seriously, and do take Donald Trump seriously. Because from an outsider's point of view, they appear to all be the opposite embodiments of your opinions of them.

Shrug. I'm not really interested in US insider jargon on the political game there, mostly because there's a bigger world than just the US so when I see people talking to people from elsewhere in the world like they should know what their abbreviations and anecdotes about this or that candidate mean, it tends to make me shut off. Its kind of a sign of elitist ignorance of another world outside your own, you know?

Anyway, no offense intended by that, just an observation triggered by the way you word your posts in general around the forums. Hope you take it onboard and think a bit more before posting
Old 05-13-2016, 06:46 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 152

What is SOS?
Secretary of State?
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2016, 06:39 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

What is SOS?

I didn't make my post to furnish an opinion on a US presidential candidate. I said I'm confused why you guys hate Hillary Clinton, don't take Bernie Sanders seriously, and do take Donald Trump seriously. Because from an outsider's point of view, they appear to all be the opposite embodiments of your opinions of them.

Shrug. I'm not really interested in US insider jargon on the political game there, mostly because there's a bigger world than just the US so when I see people talking to people from elsewhere in the world like they should know what their abbreviations and anecdotes about this or that candidate mean, it tends to make me shut off. Its kind of a sign of elitist ignorance of another world outside your own, you know?

Anyway, no offense intended by that, just an observation triggered by the way you word your posts in general around the forums. Hope you take it onboard and think a bit more before posting
1. SOS - Secretary of State

2. I'm not taking offense

3. I realize that we have a good deal of differences in large part because of where we might find "information".

4. I did think before I posted about Hillary. You asked why some don't view her favorably - She has a track record. Nothing in her recent track record, as Senator or as Secretary of State shows that she has the competency needed. Her "guidance" of affairs in Egypt and Libya are disqualifiers, well above and beyond a difference in what she want's for 'Murrica.

5. I feel Bernie Sanders is fairly honest. But what he wants for government, and what he wants government to do for people is about 180° from what I view government, especially the national government should be doing.

6. If people have been paying attention - I view tRUMP with a huge degree of skepticism. But he still offers some nuggets of Federalism, and doesn't view the national government as the solution to everything.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dY77j6uBHI

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table