WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board

The Notice Board All site related announcements will be here.

Thread Necromancy

Old 06-09-2009, 03:46 AM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Oh, irony!

Reviving a thread about necromancy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Lin

Hmmmmm, is communication with the Undead necromancy?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Nemesis (Offline)
That Beautiful Insanity

Thanks 87

Topaz, you can still post it. I don't mind. Or you can just head over to the poetry section. Go figure...

Last edited by Nemesis; 06-09-2009 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Because I am me
Old 12-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Glass_Pinata (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 71

Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
While we appreciate that a thread may spark a thought or an opinion you feel you must share, we would appreciate it if members didn't revive threads that are more than a year old. Many of the people who posted in such threads may be gone or not interested in the thread any longer. If you feel you have something beneficial to add, by all means start a new thread on the subject at hand, but please don't revive old threads.

Thank you.

Would it be possible to lock or archive the threads that you don't wish us to respond to?
Because i don't always look at the dates.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 324

More irony! Reviving a thread about Necromancy again

- Pinata: We'd thought of that, but locking threads like that quickly becomes an onerous and time-consuming duty, plus we feel like control freak Nazis

Archiving was also thought of as a solution, but that carries the same constraints as locking, time and effort-wise, plus having a bunch of archives lying around seems cluttering.

Usually, though, when something is on the first page of a section, it's fair game. And pretty much anything outside the forums for actual writing is also fair game. Thought-provoking discussion can always be revived, even without the original poster there to participate.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:33 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

We should probably unstick this thread, as we resolved sometime over the summer that thread necromancy really wasn't a problem unless it involved reviving the writing feedback threads of people who were no longer here. And that case is specific and rare enough to handle case by case (or ignore if it's a one-time thing), rather than taking space in the FAQ for it.

Thread unstuck. Unstickied? Un-something'd so people know it's not a current policy. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 AM
gumboWriters (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 6

Necromancy is a universal practice of great antiquity, only the profoundly initiated, brave and single-minded magician has any chance of success in such a venture
Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 AM
ArchAngel (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 7

Originally Posted by Winterbite View Post
More irony! Reviving a thread about Necromancy again

- Pinata: We'd thought of that, but locking threads like that quickly becomes an onerous and time-consuming duty, plus we feel like control freak Nazis

Archiving was also thought of as a solution, but that carries the same constraints as locking, time and effort-wise, plus having a bunch of archives lying around seems cluttering.
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165618

Just thought I'd mention...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Lin

I think what has happened here is better. *Instead of locking off old threads, the staff has accepted the idea that people will post to old threads (mostly because they couldn't dream up a reason for why it was a bad thing :-) *
Meaning, you're free to post anywhere. It's sort of left to your discretion to decide if a new post to an old thread will be useful (new insight on a major issue) *or not (comments on some contest that closed in 2004).

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board