WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Writing Markets

Writing Markets Calls for submissions, paying and non-paying markets.

Subliminal Interiors Magazine seeking submissions

Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 AM
imagistpoet (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Default Subliminal Interiors Magazine seeking submissions

Subliminal Interiors is an upcoming online poetry magazine seeking submissions for its inaugural issue. Poetry of all types and lengths will be considered. Each writer may submit an unlimited number of entries. No entry fee. Please visit http://subliminalinteriors.net/ and email your submissions to subliminalinteriors@gmail.com .

Thank you for your interest in the magazine and I look forward to reading your work.

Sincerely,

Lisa Minner

Editor

Last edited by imagistpoet; 07-01-2010 at 11:23 AM..
Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 AM
midwestamp (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 168

You're site says you're "A Litierary Arts Magazine"... Interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:39 AM
imagistpoet (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Default reason behind the title

To respond to the previous poster, the magazine is called a literary arts magazine because while poetry covers the literary aspect of the magazine, the arts part of the page is because we are also seeking artistic images to go with each issue. Anyone is also welcome to send artistic submissions to the magazine.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 AM
midwestamp (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 168

So which is it, literary, or litierary?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:09 AM
imagistpoet (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

It is literary. Thank you for catching that. My web designer does the text imput and he is a computer person, not a writer. I have asked him to edit that. The website is still under construction and will be until the release date of the first issue.

Thank you for considering Subliminal Interiors.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:26 AM
imagistpoet (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

The page has been edited and is being altered by my web designer. Please have patience if the page loads slowly. Thank you.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:26 PM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Perhaps you may want to source works from elsewhere to begin with - it's a little difficult for writers to put such trust in a 'magazine' with absolutely nothing on their website.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Lin

ooooo good title
Old 07-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
ooooo good title
Misleading. I was hoping for an opportunity to show off my wine cellar.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:29 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

I was hoping to show off my world wide collection of beer coasters. Just got one from Nepal.

Buddha Beer: Tastes great. Less Englightening.

Now that's a beer.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:34 AM
Echo75 (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 38

C'mon peeps, slightly less cynicism might be nice. I know there was no mention of payment and the spello on the page was discouraging, but let's remember that poetry is still a niche market. It might be that someone on here finds this of use.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:04 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Echo75 View Post
C'mon peeps, slightly less cynicism might be nice.
I was being humorous, not cynical; everyone starts somewhere, even Oddville was new once.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:45 AM
Echo75 (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 38

No worries, Mike. I wasn't really referring to your comment.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Lin

Actually, I do like the title. (And Buddha Beer is not only more filling, but tastes worse)

I DO think they should have a submission page. They all should. And so many don't.

Just put a page on the site that gives the data, what looking for, how to submit, all that good jazz.
A good idea.
Not having it, bad idea.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:45 AM
imagistpoet (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The page is still under construction, but in the next two days there will be a page up about submissions and describing the magazine in greater depth. Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. The magazine does not pay because it has no income. We do not want to fill our pages with advertisements and we do not charge for submissions or to view the site. However, at Subliminal Interiors we hope you will still consider submitting your work to the magazine, especially if you are starting out in your writing career.

Thank you for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Subliminal Interiors
Old 07-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Lin

No need for a poetry zine to apologize for not paying, by any means. If you do a good job of selecting and presenting, good on ya.

And don't feel like you're the only ones who ever put up a call for submissions to a site with no submission guidelines. Happens a lot.

But works better to have one
Old 07-02-2010, 05:19 PM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

Yep - it's just that you should probably get the site up and running first so people have a general grasp of what's going on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Lin

Well, they have to get stuff before they can run stuff...one of those chicken/egg things.

But it's really a good idea to have a sub page, maybe an about, etc. first.

If for no other reason because many poetry zines are so precious and pretentious that one look clues you to stay the hell away.

Hopefully these guys are different.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:14 PM
imagistpoet (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions. The site now has working tabs, errors have been fixed, and there is a small about section. The actual issues will be more elaborate and include digital art. This is simply the main page to welcome visitors.

We are definitely not pretentious! We are looking for all kinds of work, and we eagerly look forward to reading everyone's poems. New and previously unpublished writers are just as encouraged to submit as published writers. No literary snobbery and arrogance wanted here; just original, well-crafted poetry.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions and please consider submitting.

Sincerely,

Subliminal Interiors
Old 07-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

Originally Posted by Echo75 View Post
C'mon peeps, slightly less cynicism might be nice. I know there was no mention of payment and the spello on the page was discouraging, but let's remember that poetry is still a niche market. It might be that someone on here finds this of use.
So who's stopping them?
Old 07-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 722

Well, I think it's great seeing a new site take and use suggestions/comments and make things better with them. (Sometimes people tend to get defensive, rather than consider those comments.) So kudos to you! I've checked out your site from the "Litierary" fiasco 'til now, and I have to say that things are really looking a lot nicer and getting more informative.

If I wrote poetry (rephrase: If I wrote good poetry), I would send you something--but since I don't, I'll just send you well wishes and tell you good luck!!

Old 07-03-2010, 07:35 AM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

Sometimes people tend to get defensive, rather than consider those comments.
And everything falls apart. Very true.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Lin

And we all fall on them with teeth and knives and laugh at the lamentations of their women
Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 AM
S.R. Hansford (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 20

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Well, I think it's great seeing a new site take and use suggestions/comments and make things better with them. (Sometimes people tend to get defensive, rather than consider those comments.) So kudos to you! I've checked out your site from the "Litierary" fiasco 'til now, and I have to say that things are really looking a lot nicer and getting more informative.

If I wrote poetry (rephrase: If I wrote good poetry), I would send you something--but since I don't, I'll just send you well wishes and tell you good luck!!

Alternatively, when the first few comments are as mocking as they usually are on here, it's kind of scary when someone doesn't get offended... like maybe they don't care that their idea is getting trashed by random people because secretly the idea's just a scam...
Old 07-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Lin

But I think if you look closer you might notice that the mocking and bad-mouthing is for projects that deserve it. There is just so much spam/scam and this is where it shows up on WB.

On the other hand, the impression is that these guys are on the level trying to do something decent. And they aren't asking for fees or registration or anything, just submissions.

And that's why you haven't seem people belittling them, but offering sympatico suggestions. They go a little rib over the mispelling, but not mean-spirited and hey, when you put up a literary site with "literary" misspelled, you're asking for some japes. Absolutewrite would have tormented them over that. They took it in stride, made corrections and moved on. I've had people point out screwups like that on my author site and it's embarrassing, but it's not "trashing".

On the other hand, there's another thread this weekend about putting up work on a diretory where people will bid on it. Now I ask you....
And the posters of that one got really nasty when people commented on what is, let's face it, a lame idea if not a scam that doesn't show it's teeth until later.

So... I don't think this area is a target for random hooliganism. In my book, people who jerk writers' or play on their dreams to take their money deserve every brickbat I can pick up.

People trying to create a publication for the love of it deserve help and repect.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Sounds pretty decent so far but the submission info could maybe be extended to specify what sort of poetry you do/do not want (sex, violence, etc); maximum number of poems per submission; maximum number of lines per poem (if you have one); and expected response time.

Under the About Us, you might want to add some information about the people behind the zine, your ethos, how you chose your name, how often you expect to publish, etc. Anything really that helps to define the sort of zine you're trying to create. Once it's up and running, people can make judgements based on what you've published, but this early on you need to drop some major clues.

Good luck!

Old 09-27-2010, 01:46 PM
rebeccarpierce (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 19

Oh! I went to the website and the email address given was submit@subliminalinteriors.net

Was I wrong to send my work there?
Old 10-03-2010, 01:11 PM
imagistpoet (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Hi Rebecca,

I will be emailing you momentarily, but the site says I do not have enough posts yet or that there is some kind of problem. I will check and see if I have received work from you at that address, but I do not believe I have. I will get back to you!

Sincerely,

Lisa Minner

Editor

WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Writing Markets