WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

what do your characters normally look like?

Old 07-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880
Icon3 what do your characters normally look like?

and is there a link between appearances and a powerful character?

you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 07-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Cricket Leaf (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 8

Hi Nacia,

I believe that if there is a link between appearance and powerful characters, it's very minimal.

A guy named Liam in my short stories usually wears a cap and jean vest, but that's all I know. Otherwise, I try to maintain his personality of being a sound-minded, and wise chap hidden behind some child-like quirkiness. He's child-like, but not childish. I know that might be a bit confusing. These difference has been confusing to me, so I'll explain it if needed. He is also very community-oriented, and a shy extrovert.

There is also the antagonist. All I know about her appearance is that she has a gap in her teeth. Otherwise, she is a confused, stubborn young women who doesn't have social boundaries, talks about conspiracy theories, and things like that. Liam is child-like, but she is childish. I use this character to create conflict, and comedy in my short stories.

The character I write about the most is Jennie. She is so philosophically minded that it's hard for her to move on to other things when she's focused, and she's also a little fearful. She sees her own hyper-focus as a burden. I actually have no idea what she looks like besides the occasional outfits she wore for special occasions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't think that you need big indicators for your characters when it comes to appearance. First person limited is my favourite way to write because it allows room to create in-depth characters without too much extra information. Now, are looks important? Well, I try to leave most of my character's appearances up to the reader's imaginations.

Last edited by Cricket Leaf; 07-25-2016 at 07:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cricket Leaf For This Useful Post:
Nacia (07-27-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 12:12 AM
rogerafrance (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Yes is there a link between appearances and a powerful character .keep physical description minimal. The character’s actions, or details such as his occupations and interests, are much more useful.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:02 AM
K.S. Crooks (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

For me most of the time its the opposite. My main characters appear like ordinary people and discover their power as the story progresses. Occasionally I want a character to look the part because it can make it easier to understand why a character is in charge or able to accomplish something, without the need to explain to the reader the reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Jack (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 29

Nacia
I love this question. You can only pick what the characters look like in your own mind's eye. Your reader will put a face on the character.

Readers cast people they have seen in the roles you create with words. In my experience film or television personalities lend their appearance most often in the readers mind.

I find my own writing to be choppy and amateurish, until I cast a real person in the role. Then the "actor" plays the part of the character and contributes to the dialogue and actions of the character.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice