WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

The Coffee Shop

Old 06-23-2006, 04:49 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

lol I'm glad you showed up... I'm soo bored.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Jaz (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Awesome, join the club, we have jackets.

What's been new with you? And why does it say you're offline?
Old 06-23-2006, 05:14 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

I'm invisible..

I'm taking a break from a lot of activity on the forums at the moment but I have my computer on a lot, usually with WB on so I prefer it to say I'm offline rather than on. Although the other mods and dan can see what i'm up too.. just prefer to hide for the moment.. lol..

nothing new with me.. more job hunting tomorrow.. joy!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Jaz (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Ew, job hunting. I may be getting this loser job selling shirts I don't even like. But, hey, money's money, right?

By the way, if you haven't seen already, I decided to attempt to critique your pirate story. I should write a pirate story...
Old 06-23-2006, 05:20 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

careful, if you write a pirate story they'll all crit it for grammar, I'll go for whether its correct to pirates or not lol...

I don't care what the job is just give me one.. I'm bored.. I feel anti social and I'm broke, with the bank going on at me all the time.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Jaz (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

They'll especially crit it because I'm American. Hehe.
I also think that I have a pretty firm grasp on piracy... granted a romantic grasp. Maybe I'll just stick to writing an Arthurian-esque story. Those are always simple enough and fun.

And I hear you about the job thing. I just need cash so I can finance my ever increasing expenses. Stupid money. We should live in a barter economy. That would be insane.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:30 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

lol..

Most pof the site is american though, so the crits don't have to be questioned. I have to sit and think about them for a long time to work out if it's a US/English problem or not... so frustrating.

Eugh I want a fucking Job!!!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Jaz (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

I should really go to Europe and learn the European swing of things. I should be like that Brasilian guy on the Japanese team. He's a citizen and is fluent in Japanese, so he can play for them.

I can... kind of be the equivalent of that. Hehe...
Old 06-23-2006, 05:41 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

lol.. Europe's way better.. for the most part.. lol..

Although I've only ever been to paris for just under a week.. big family so we didn't go on exotic holidays. I intend to travel by myself though.. hopefully go to Prague soon, and Copenhagen... then in a few years, the US.. but only to Washington, New York and California.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Jaz (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Well, if you're ever in New York, drop me a line. I'll be sure to catch up with you. Maybe if you're not with a big family or whatever, I could even get you to crash here. Of course, because if I were in England, you'd let me do the same.

America is... blah. Maybe because I've been here all my life, it seems kind of middle of the road to me. You probably have the same idea for England. I love New York, but I'm bored of it and America. I can only assume that would be the case for anyone who's been in one place for a long time. Unless you have absolutely no wanderlust.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:48 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

Yeah I know what you mean. I had a tough choice awhile ago.. staying here and ding what I love, or moving away seeing more of this little island and settling for somethng less. I stayed here and don't regret it, but I do wonder what if sometimes..

Yeah I'll definitley give you a shout. If Dephere is in New York I'll crash with him, if not you're my man! lol.. you can show me all the cool non touristy places.. lol.

And yes I'd definitely put you up if i lived by myself (as in not in my parents house) and probably still would if I was here. lol..
Old 06-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Jaz (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Eh, I live with my mom, but I'm sure she'd go for it.

"Mom, I have a friend from England coming in, could she crash here?"
"Are you sure she isn't a serial killer?"
"Yes."
"Ok, but you're sleeping on the couch and I'll have no sex going on while I'm home."

Granted, the questioning would be much longer, but that's the thrust of it. Haha.

---

I've had plenty of opportunities to do things that I've not done. And often times I regret my past decisions. I always say live with no regrets, but a few years ago I was so gun-shy of my surroundings and was a victim of my own neuroses, 'home' was the only place I could be. I tend to ask myself, "How would my life of been different if I were more adventurous?"

So now, I try to make up for all those missed opportunities, all those missed chances and places to go. All the risks I wouldn't do out of fear of change. I like to hope I'm changing my life for the better. I hope it leads me to great things in the end to. Otherwise, it may just lead me to self-destruct. That's how I see my life going right now -- to success or destruction. I'm hoping it's the first one. But at least now I can say I am living with no regrets.

I was never in control of my life before. But now I'm trying to be in control so I can do all that travelling and working and whatnot that I keep talking about. To bring this full circle -- yeah, life is full of tough choices, and you have to hope those come around when you feel in control. I had a bunch of those, and I wasn't in control and regret every time I passed up an opportunity to try something new.

I think the major reason I am so curious in travel now is because I've never expanded myself out of my own little world. I need to make up for a lot that I missed out on. So can I say I don't regret staying complacent? Yes and no. New York City, no place better... yeah, we got everything here within arm's reach... but there is still so much more in the world that I've passed up because I've decided to stay here and not expand outward.

Wow, this post became a lot more then what I was expecting... well, use it as something to think about, eh?
Old 06-23-2006, 06:05 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

Post as long as you want, I'm enjoying reading it.

My ex and I, we're so similar its rather scary. So we always got what the other was saying, and we both have the same problems. Just he got to move away and so that solved one part of him that I didn't get to. But he'd just tell me everytime I had a problem with life, that I'm hurting now.. but without the pain., joy is nothing. And if I get what I wanted in the now, I risk what I want in the future. So I don't regret anything, cause I know that my whole life could have changed as a result of it, and there are part of this little life of mine I couldn't live without.

When I was with the boyfriend before him, I used to pray that we'd work out our differences, and our engagement wouldnt be a joke. But in the end it was, and as a result I got the next boyfriend. Which is a muchg better deal to be honest. My point is, I'm glad you're making up for it now, you'll appreciate i more, and who knows maybe this is just how it's meant to go for you.Make your own destiny, but don't beat yourself up if it's not perfect. What in life is?
Old 06-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Jaz (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Fortunately, nothing.

Nothing in life is perfect. And that's the absolute beauty of it. If life were perfect, nothing would have any character. Thank God life isn't perfect. I like to see it as Hemingway thought life of.
"Life is nada", life's like an empty jar that you have to fill with all the stuff you want in life. A lot of people don't realize it, that life is not going to just work. I thought that way before and it lead me on a road to absolute breakdown.

However, when you find your sense of self and place in the world, you can start working and using your skills and surroundings to fulfill your life. And that's what I'm trying to do now. It took me eighteen years to figure that out.

Life is not perfect, and hooray for that. And I used to beat myself up on my decisions. Do I regret? Yes, but that's as far as it goes, a snap of my fingers, a "damn", and then look to the future. That's all you can do is to keep going and keep doing something bigger and better.

As Faulkner said when he was accepting his Nobel Peace Prize, the human spirit isn't to remain complacent and find a niche and stay mediocre, but instead to meet the opposition and prevail. When I heard a lot of this stuff I'm writing now, this is what opened my eyes to a better and happier life.

So yeah, concepts of perfection are boring, everything becomes so uniform then. It's the imperfections that make life fun, and I just got that not too long ago. Geez, life's weird, ain't it?
Old 06-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

Hi kali and [no]Variable. Angie and I have many areas where we are different. She is strict. I am lenient. She is super organized. I am non-structured. She is straight and narrow. I am visionary and dreamer. Similarities are we are both charismatic pentecostal, basically conservatice in political matters, love the outdoors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:24 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

definitely weird lol..

I love this imperfect world though.. so bizarre and exciting if you're looking in the right places. Generally what my writing's about, when I'm not over thrown by pirates lol..

I can't stand reading the usual melodramtic crap that people churn out and label poetry and free flow.. dude, it's just crap, get over it. lol..

It takes a long time to figure out what you really want from life, it took being left more alone than I had ever been before to realise I didn't need love, or friendship.. just companionship which in most cases is a combination of the two.. But I just want someone to grow old with, someone to make me cups of tea while I'm sat at my desk trying to rip my hair out of my head cause I can't make a rhyme, or rhythm or Jeff's dialogue isn't working right...

But I'm willing to wait now, I know that. I know at 19, I will not settle down and find the man or woman of my dreams.. maybe i've already found them but I can't stay with them now, its absurd to think I can.

Just as it's crazy to think I'm going to write a best seller at 19, or get the publishing contract I want. Hell I know I'm not going to, so it's baby steps... I'll send my best work to small places. Why bother shoting at the stars when you can't make it out of orbit..

The coffee shop has been awfully serious today
Old 06-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Jaz (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Yeah, it really has been serious. I may need a break from it, haha.

It was an awesome discussion Kali. Let's do it again some time.

And hi Jay, bye Jay!
Old 06-23-2006, 06:29 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

hey jay..

you leaving me nV? I'll get bored.. I'll be stupid I promise!!
Old 06-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

Stupidity can be fun. It is when you knowingly do something you know is wrong.

I have done many stupid things. I err, and still do stupid things.

Example one: When I was about 10, mom told me to clean my ears, and this time use soap. I went visit at my aunts. Three days later, my ears were red and hurted badly. I have shoved Dial soap into my ears. They had to use hydrogen peroxide and bobby pins to try to get it out.

Does that make you feel a little less serious?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:39 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

lol.. bless you jay...
Old 06-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

I'll be popping in and out tonight. I am trying to put a major dent in that alphabetical listing.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:45 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

Youre too good to us Jay, I say this so often but I mean it everytime.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Jaz (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Ok, this is my official goodnight. Ciao!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:12 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

you suck! talk soon xx
Old 06-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

Thanks.

(If you were in Louisiana, it would say, "Thanks babe." You would not take offense to it. I even told that to our school's secretary one dau on the phone, when I was sick. When I got back to school she told me, "I'm glad to see you're a normal person.")

You put a lot of great contributions to the site too. Never forget that. If you do, I swear I jump to the ninja's side. Until that day, which I hope never comes... , I'll swab the deck.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:28 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

lol.. right now I'm just glad our site isn't bigger after a terrible person appeared on the other place. Although if they had done what they're doing on that site, which is abusing any poet brave enough to put their work on a forum, claiming that slander is the best way for a writer to evolve, and that they teach a class at Harvard. Someone that can't spell poetry in thier username shouldn't be teaching.. I could ban them were they here.. which is a shame now that they didnt chose to attack my family.. I'm in the mood to ban someone after reading all that terrible behaviour.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

I thankfully served only 3 days over there. I saw Daniel's post and never had the desire to visit again.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Ian (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to Ian

Hey, guys. I'm still around, but I resigned my mod position because I simply don't have the time to fulfill the duties of a moderator and I thought I was cheating the site by not resigning and also cheating someone out who could do a better job than me. I'm still here though, so don't think I'm gone.

So what's up?

-site I am news mod on

Ex-Global Moderator

Originally Posted by Oasis Writer
that's why I'm here...to dumb everyone down a notch

Originally Posted by Dephere
P.S.: Ian, don't tell anyone, but I love you and want to have your babies.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:43 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

dude.. edit your sig

so sorry you left us.. man don't leave us completely though. I like you.. and as far as I can tell you like me.. I need people that like me.. the newbies scare me..

You'll be missed hun.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

Hey Ian, how are you doing? It has been a little quiet in the Coffee Shop, without you.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe