WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

What irritates you most about other people?

Old 11-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89
Icon4 What irritates you most about other people?

I'd like you to share what your biggest pet peeves and challenges are dealing with the people in your life or the strangers you encounter...

What kind of behavior others act out annoys you the most?

And do you have any difficulties dealing with certain people and their negative behavior?

I look forward to hearing your responses!

Old 11-25-2017, 12:04 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184
Default What irritates you most about other people?

When they are strangers and are hostile or ridiculously irrational I usually just walk away from the situation. These people are rare, but I run a small plumbing service company and once in a while it happens. I donít see any reason to do business with an asshole or grossly unrealistic person.

Most people in real life are pretty rational. I have friends of all political, religious, and social stripes. I can hold my own in most debates without getting upset or annoyed, so disagreements about these topics can mostly be discussed in an open way.

Most of the nasty people you run into are anonymous forum or social media trolls. I usually like these people and have fun interacting with them. Itís like a game. Donít know why, but I like the challenge of diffusing the bomb. Sometimes direct confrontation works, but usually itís to be avoided in my opinion. Gets nobody nowhere. Advances nothing.

Sent from my whack-ass dump hole.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:16 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

When you encounter these assholes or someone grossly unrealistic, what kind of behaviors do they enact that cause you to walk away?

I'd love to hear specifics.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:14 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,062

("...I think I'll just pass then..." concluded the goblin thinking about it now, then adding "...for in dailylife I like everyone mostly and rarely show my feelings towards them if I don't, being the burden of honesty best avoided perhaps, whereas on forumland I'm so used to the trolls on their forums that none of that ever reaches me neither, so I guess that just leaves myself in the equation now, yes I often fall short of my own expectations in that respect, moreover what with the benefit on hindsight I've often regretted my decisions, also my frustration mounts when the news is unpredictable too, yet worse still or worst of all would be those days where life lives me instead of me living my life...", yes the goblin often used his posting habit here as an inner mirror for all to see, sighing "...ah yes, too much dailylife and instead of my seeing myself by what I write, I only see those trinkets of the moneygod again, and those social trappings too, simply I fight to become my internal here lest I become my dailylife there...", and thus the goblin couldn't find an annoyance that came close to being annoyed at himself really)

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-26-2017 at 12:19 AM..
Old 11-25-2017, 02:49 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
When you encounter these assholes or someone grossly unrealistic, what kind of behaviors do they enact that cause you to walk away?

I'd love to hear specifics.

Oh, nothing specific really. Just the usual arrogant assholes that want to tell me how much I should charge them for services or act rude or insulting to me or my guys. There have been a couple weird situations with people on drugs that I thought was maybe a dangerous situation to be in, and one time a schizophrenic woman (unbeknownst to us at the time) attacked on of my helpers. Later, I just felt sorry for her, but we booked out of that job quickly.

At parties and such thereís almost never a real problem. Iím a liberal person in a very conservative state and most of my friends and acquaintances are well aware of what to expect from me.

Sent from my whack-ass dump hole.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:18 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I'd say people who don't follow through or come up short.

I hired a guy to do a series of illustrations for me for an infographic. It was the first time I'd used him. He was late and he did a half-assed job -- I had to provide way too much direction. Fortunately, that doesn't happen often.

When clients don't follow through with what I need to do the work, I have a lot less leverage. They can take their sweet time, but of course, I still have to make the deadline.

I occasionally have the same problem as brianpatrick -- people who don't have a clue how much something should cost, so they try to low ball me. I don't budge -- so that's usually the end of the relationship.

Otherwise, outside of work, I can't say that people really irritate me that much. If someone is a real asshole, I can usually just turn the encounter into a good anecdote. Life is too short.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:30 AM
WhiteKnight75 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 2

I live in east Germany and what bugs me the most is when people working at the store/cafe/restaurant are so extremely rude or just compleatly irrational. Don't they want customers?
One time I was trying to buy lunch at my colege when I was told that I couldn't have rice with my chicken nuggets because it was on a diferent menue. Excuse me? I am an adult and they are telling me what I can and can not eat with my chicken nuggets? I ended up leaving the place and buying my lunch elsewhere. They don't deserve my money if they can't even give me the food I want.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteKnight75 For This Useful Post:
kev (12-09-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 05:05 AM
Leila (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 58

Pretty much everything
Old 12-09-2017, 09:09 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

My biggest irritation is men who don't show women the deference their mother's taught them. This includes not taking their hat off when seated at a table, or in today's world, not looking up from your computer. Holding doors should be natural, but its not anymore. A lot of the responsibility for this falls on the women they are with. The woman should demand the deference due her if he's too ignorant to know it himself.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:25 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

Originally Posted by Connie View Post
My biggest irritation is men who don't show women the deference their mother's taught them. This includes not taking their hat off when seated at a table, or in today's world, not looking up from your computer. Holding doors should be natural, but its not anymore. A lot of the responsibility for this falls on the women they are with. The woman should demand the deference due her if he's too ignorant to know it himself.

Yes, I can see that. My mother never taught me anything except how to shut the hell up and do what her drunken whims desired. Iím not looking for sympathy; Iíve long since digested this reality.

I employ three young men in their early twenties. One is married, and the other two have live-in girlfriends. They are unanimously opposed to chivalry of any kind. Itís weird to me to listen to the things they say they say to their women. One of them told me recently that when his girl gets ďbitchyĒ he tells her to ďgo to the gym and make him a booty to look at.Ē I would never say something like that to my wife and expect to keep my balls.

My wife knows and interacts with all of them, and in her presence they are gentlemen. She commands this kind of respect without having to ever say it.

I sometimes feel sorry for young women these days. Theyíve lost the art of persuasion. Maybe itís the times, dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
kev (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

Again Brian you are absolutely right. Its a cultural flaw in today's generation. Women raise these kids and they have all sorts of control over them growing up. Why and when do they abdicate this, and why does the new wife not demand this respect- the way your wife does. And its not just American. Look at the way Islam treats their women. NY Times today carried a story of an islamic husband who clawed out the eyes of his wife so she could not look at another man.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

My mom was very much the southern genteel type -- the superficial, chivalrous gestures -- she really drummed those into us and I still do all that. But more importantly, she and my dad just taught us and demonstrated how to be deferential to everyone.

Taking your hat off indoors, not looking down at your phone, holding doors etc. -- those are just about good manners in general. I don't really see them as gender specific.

Being courteous should apply to both men and women. I'm not sure how you can expect equality on all levels and still expect special treatment. It really should go both ways.

Last edited by Myers; 12-09-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Old 12-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 69

The fact that people hate at all is what I try to understand as a disease of ignorance.

I stumbled across an audio file of an interview with Alfred Hitchcock. Asked what his definition of happiness is he replied:

".. a clear horizon,
nothing to worry about on your plate
only things that are creative and not destructive
when that within yourself -- within me, i can't bare quarreling
i can't bare feelings between people, i think hatred is wasted energy
and its all non-productive, very insensitive, a sharp word said by say a person who has a temper, if they're close to me, hurts me for days. I know we're only human, we do go in for these various emotions, call them negative emotions, but when all these are removed and you can look forward and the road is clear ahead and now you're going to create something, I think that's as happy as I'd ever want to be. "

I think that's a positive way to be.

Last edited by Beesauce; 12-09-2017 at 02:19 PM..
Old 12-09-2017, 07:25 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

Good if you can get it, but so far it seems out of the reach of 99% of the planet.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 141

Oh Thank you Lord of Thread for allowing this.

Self righteousness, hypocrisy, Narcissism. The sort of arsehole who will join a twitter mob campaign to destroy someone for a misplaced word. Frankly the twitter twat deserves a painful death.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:12 AM
Kelle-95 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I just hate it when people don't think before they speak or have no filter
Old 12-16-2017, 02:47 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

Originally Posted by Kelle-95 View Post
I just hate it when people don't think before they speak or have no filter

I love that!

Makes good research for characters.

Iíd have to say the thing I hate most right now is when people call their children: kiddos. That really bugs me.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Luciaphile (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 59

brianpatrick, ever since I read this last post, I have heard more people say kiddos! Mostly on TV, like newscasters and other famous people. What gives, I wonder?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Compliments of the Author: Debbie Bumstead

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe