WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Care to Help Me Flesh Out a Plot Concept?

Old 10-26-2014, 11:02 AM
MeganElizabeth1 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default Care to Help Me Flesh Out a Plot Concept?

This would be my first ever attempt at urban fantasy, so I could really use some help with fleshing this concept out. This is just a bare-bones concept based off of a character design I very recently had pop into my mind.

The Concept: A young man, alone in his forest home, discovers a siren. In this concept, sirens aren't the beautiful water-nymphs that lure men in with their irresistible songs. Here, a siren is almost best-described as a witch of some sort. These "witches" have control over the slender waves on which sounds exist. Through a variety of "skills" or "spells" they can manipulate sounds and the hosts in which sounds live. These spells are: Cadence (the basic manipulation of a sound and it's host - high energy use, very heavily based on the concept of 'if a tree falls in the forest and no one's there to hear it, does it even make a sound', but reversed. 'If there's no sound when a raindrop splashes, does it really fall at all?'), Echo (the process of taking the energy of sound and transforming it into a physical force), and Dissonance (the process of replacing a sound's host). When male main character turns around in his home to find a young girl standing there, a cry of surprise rises in his throat. Then never releases. The girl offers him a coy smile with an inquisitive tip of her head.

I'm not really sure what I wish to DO with these sirens, particularly the siren our main character meets. Do they have a fantastical enemy she's running from? Does she suffer amnesia, unaware of the abilities hidden inside her innocent frame? Are sirens actually just as deadly and evil as folklore would have you believe?

I'll very seriously take in any critiques on the concept itself and ideas for where I could possibly take this story. Thank you all very much in advance!

Old 10-26-2014, 02:10 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 415

My thoughts go along an alternate skein with plots. I would say he hunts sirens and uses her to capture them and sell their tongues. But that's just me. Which is probably not much help...

It all depends on your endgame. What do you want to say with this piece?

Courtesy of BP
Old 10-26-2014, 03:12 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 404

some good ideas just do not translate.

I suggest you try writing some short stories to see what works and what doesn't. be prepared to toss several of them before you find your footing. some will only be short stories.

just my experience.

Max
Old 10-27-2014, 01:52 PM
LordAskean (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

Would you invoke the wrath of Poseidon god of the sea? Or slay the lives murders? Anthony Ward, former wealthy merchant, has lost the little sanity he claimed. He now lust for the blood of sirens, old sea hags who send sailors to their deaths. Anthony Ward is the man who would invoke Poseidon wrath, to slay murderous Sirens.
Well, its not the best plot, but you can add to it.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:36 PM
K.S. Crooks (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

Not wishing to make things more complicated for you, I thought that the girl has escaped pursuit by beings who use light in a similar manner to how the sirens use sound. There could be a war between the light beings and sirens, which the sirens are losing, and the young man feels sympathy for the girl, thus helps her and her people in heir fight.
You could also use any other energy/force that travels in waves. You idea sounds intriguing, hope it goes well for you.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:05 PM
kmal91 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Pretty cool ideas!

I see the main character getting caught inbetween the girl he sees in his home and maybe a great evil siren. Maybe she taught the girl he meets or maybe the evil witch sees great potential in the girl and/or a great use for her because of her power.

The guy is probably repulsed from the whole thing and just wants to get on with his life but has to help somehow. Maybe he or someone they meet have an immunity to the sirens powers like being deaf or something. Some kind of equalizer?

It could be an epic battle between the girl and the evil siren while the guy finds himself and his dreams.

Ill come back with more when I think of it

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues